• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

XD OWNERS

unrequited

imported post

This would have been a perk for me considering trading my 4" 45 in for a compact .45 (3 rounds for a smller package is a fair trade). After hearing it's only on the 4", no thanks but I do like it.

AbNo

imported post

FogRider wrote:I have never needed a manual safety on my XD45 to keep it cocked and locked. I just keep my fingers out of the make a hole in something area and it's all good.[/quote]

Not as funny as "pull for explosion". Also, this joke's already been used. :?

That being said.... I don't really know if I like it. I got tired of trying to navigate that Flash-mess of a website, and quit.

Prometheus

imported post

I was a big manual safety fan back in the day. one of the reasons I loved my USP 45 so much...

Then came the XD, my wife bought one and I couldn't stand it... until I shot it. I bought one within 2 weeks and it's been my carry gun every since.

Unlike the gLock, a XD has the backstrap safety. That makes me 100% comfortable carrying it vs a gLock or similar weapon.

I don't want a XD with a safety. No need. I do like the fact they are offering it because several LEOs I know want to carry one but can't because of dept rules on pistols w/o safeties.

You bet your butt they won't be using the safeties either. :celebrate

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I've never heard of department rules about safeties. In fact, it seems that overwhelmingly, the Glocks are the leading pistol in Law Enforcement in the country...sans manual safety.

VAopencarry

imported post

A lot of LE dept's require a 'double action' pistol or a safety. The Glocks are DA, The XD's internal are different and are in fact 'single action' as the striker is fully cocked. To the end user it's all pretty much the same but dept's won't approve a single action gun.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

That's what I figured. Come to think of it, I haven't seen anyone carrying an XD in uniform (except for this Loomis armed guard once who came into the restaraunt where I work).

mercutio545

imported post

I'm really digging the XD's. I like my Ruger P345, but I'd rather use that as a house gun. The girlfriend and I are getting our CHP's together- she wants an XD sub-compact 9mm to carry, and I'm thinking of getting the 4" service model in 357 sig. Anybody know where I can order one of the 2008 models online? I looked on budsgunshop, and they only advertise 2006 models. And I'm not a fan of buying at gun shows (who wants a gun with everybody's grubby fingerprints all over it?)

Marco

imported post

I recently got the chance to shoot the Compact w/5" barrel thatI bought when they first hit the market. http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=113
Left at brothers house(across the country)so I don'thave to travel with a gun when I have tofly.

The XD isn't in need of another manual safety in my opinion.
Probably done to appeal to a larger market (military/LE), as some depts may require that type of safety.

I just wish Springfield Armory would introduce the XD compact w/5" barrel in 10mm, the 45acp mags work with the cartridge.
In fact the 10rd 45 mag holds13rds of 10mm while the 13rd 45 mag holds 16.

The slide and frame look/appear to be robust enough to handle the pressure, if not beef them up.

Edit:
No, I don't want to consider a 400 Corbon or 45 Super conversion of my 45acp.
But a .50GI would be worth considering.

The Glock plus trigger lock is just wrong.

eyesopened

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
When is the XD with the Thumbsafety hitting the market ??? Anyone ??? My wife would like a Duo toned .40
As of right now, only the .45 is getting the thumb safety. Not sure if the other calibers will have the option in the future but I don't see why the .40 wouldn't as it's very popular caliber with LE

Resqu2

imported post

Schofield wrote:
Ahh, following in the steps of the S&W M&P :p At least on the M&P, the ambidextrous manual safety is there if you want it but you don't have to have it on or not -- the other safeties will take care of you regardless. It's an option, just as ordering yours with the magazine safety or the internal lock would be. All up to your preference.

I will say that the one they're showing on the XD's page is stupidly shaped almost exactly like the slide release and right next to it. Very bad idea in a high stress situation unless you really are simply using it as a safety switch and turn it off *before* the shooting starts... But most people will use it as a thumb operated safety. Glock's coming out with some sort of manual safety as well which also has a really bad location/shape right between the similiarly shaped and textured magazine and slide release. And it appears you could way too easily push it too far out the other side of the pistol and it's on safe again. :? - Schofield
Sorry but this is NOT from Glock's web page and Glock isNOT doing something crazy like this. Looks like a crappy photoshop job too me.

sailarmy

imported post

I was a little sketchy about buying a gun without a manual safety when i started looking at the XD's because of all my military training but after talking to people that had the XD I did decide it was for me and now after shooting it I am very pleased with my XD 9mm and I cary it every where with an IWB holster it is a reat gun but for the inexperianced shooter it might be a good idea to have the manual safe option...

AbNo

imported post

sailarmy wrote:
I was a little sketchy about buying a gun without a manual safety when i started looking at the XD's because of all my military training but after talking to people that had the XD I did decide it was for me and now after shooting it I am very pleased with my XD 9mm and I cary it every where with an IWB holster it is a reat gun but for the inexperianced shooter it might be a good idea to have the manual safe option...

:shock:

Um..... ok. Good for you?

thx997303

imported post

IMO the opton of a thumb safety is a good thing, but i don't think that without it the xd would be dangerous. I really can't see a situation where the trigger and grip safety would fail and cause it to fire. I've decided to buy myself one in .40 S$W, but now can't decide what size i want. :banghead:
Why can't they just make one size? :quirky
You know, for us indecisive people.

PVT McDonald

dlnwoody

imported post

Schofield wrote:
Ahh, following in the steps of the S&W M&P :p At least on the M&P, the ambidextrous manual safety is there if you want it but you don't have to have it on or not -- the other safeties will take care of you regardless. It's an option, just as ordering yours with the magazine safety or the internal lock would be. All up to your preference.

I will say that the one they're showing on the XD's page is stupidly shaped almost exactly like the slide release and right next to it. Very bad idea in a high stress situation unless you really are simply using it as a safety switch and turn it off *before* the shooting starts... But most people will use it as a thumb operated safety. Glock's coming out with some sort of manual safety as well which also has a really bad location/shape right between the similiarly shaped and textured magazine and slide release. And it appears you could way too easily push it too far out the other side of the pistol and it's on safe again. :? - Schofield
I saw that glock has a new trigger that has the manual safety on it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neither of my carry pistols has a manual safety. Unless/until I buy a 1911 I don't foresee having a carry sidearm with a manual safety. I feel perfectly safe without one on the pistols I carry and see no reason to add another step to my self-defense.