• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would you trade your firearm for a Taser?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

How stupid are the media? The arguments against tazers in the story are identical arguments, by the same people, made about CC. A reporter or editor with a brain would point out that factoid.

And if one has a CCW, the only reason to carry a tazer would be because the self-defense laws in his state suck and favor the BG. New York's equivalent force laws come to mind, but you can't have a tazer in NY anyway (and most people can't have a CCW). Honestly, I have only been in one situation in my life where I would have used a tazer had one been available. There have been 4 situations I would have drawn my firearm had one been available. If I have to choose one, that's a no brainer.

Euromutt

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
How stupid are the media? The arguments against tazers in the story are identical arguments, by the same people, made about CC. A reporter or editor with a brain would point out that factoid.
At the risk of sounding pedantic, the argument isn't quite identical, though it is very similar. I can see the risk of someone being quicker to use a Taser than they would a firearm on the basis that the Taser is supposedly "non-lethal," because, frankly, examples abound of cops doing exactly that.

The counter-argument to that is, of course, that cops are expected to use force (up to and including lethal force) in more than self-defense, unlike private citizens. This is why 11% of police shootings result in the death of an innocent, whereas 2% of shootings by CCW holders do. The most plausible scenario, then, is that misuse of Tasers by private citizens would be markedly lower than misuse of Tasers by LEOs.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-

To answer the OP question, I would consider trading in my handgun for a Taser if a model were available that matched the other characteristics of my firearm, other than the lethality. I'm talking an ammo capacity of at least 15 shots, an effective range of at least 100 feet (not the 35 feet of the law enforcement models, let alone the piddling 15 feet of the civilian models), a a price tag of less than $999, and the availability of practice ammo at prices comparable to FMJs. I also don't need cartridges that advertise to the target what the maximum range of the weapon is by the color on the front.

But even then, if a Taser were produced with all the firepower of my current defensive firearm, just less lethal, I still probably wouldn't trade. I'd certainly give more adding a Taser to my options (like various other posters on this thread). Right now, the police models are more effective than the "consumer" models, and cops still carry guns, right?

Euromutt

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
I'm almost certain that this may be Davidson's offer, and not necessarily that company, although if it is that's great.
It's Taser International's own guarantee, though only on their "consumer" products. Check the product page for the C2 or the X26C, click on the "Benefits" tab, and scroll all the way down.