• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Constitutional Duty to Protect

ChopperCopper

imported post

While I am on the street, I do not put up with it. Regardless of how you feel about it. Now, in a setting where ideas are to be shared, I will gladly listen to any suggestions a person may have. But like I said, when it's two in the morning and someone walks up to me and tries to tell me how to do my job, they will be put in their place.

Now, if the same person asks me to do something for them, come hell or highwater, I will make sure that person walks away knowing that we are always there to help.

Example:

Premis: Me at gas station at 0200hrs.

A person walks up and pointedly tells me they just walked two miles to this gas station from their broken down car and demands that I help them and take them back.

In this case, I would explain to them that they are a grown adult, and that this is a gas station with a phone, so they can help themselves.

The same person walks up and explains that they just walked two miles here from their broken down car and asks if I could give them a hand.

I would dispatch a tow truck myself, get them some water, give them a ride back, and wait until the tow truck arrived and they were well on their way before I left.

You have every right to expect law enforcement to do their jobs. But we are all humans and no one likes being told what to do.

And before you say it, yes, I tell people what to do, and no they don't like it. But I only do so when I have the authority to do it.

glocknroll

imported post

ChopperCopper wrote:
While I am on the street, I do not put up with it. Regardless of how you feel about it. Now, in a setting where ideas are to be shared, I will gladly listen to any suggestions a person may have. But like I said, when it's two in the morning and someone walks up to me and tries to tell me how to do my job, they will be put in their place.

Now, if the same person asks me to do something for them, come hell or highwater, I will make sure that person walks away knowing that we are always there to help.

Example:

Premis: Me at gas station at 0200hrs.

A person walks up and pointedly tells me they just walked two miles to this gas station from their broken down car and demands that I help them and take them back.

In this case, I would explain to them that they are a grown adult, and that this is a gas station with a phone, so they can help themselves.

The same person walks up and explains that they just walked two miles here from their broken down car and asks if I could give them a hand.

I would dispatch a tow truck myself, get them some water, give them a ride back, and wait until the tow truck arrived and they were well on their way before I left.

You have every right to expect law enforcement to do their jobs. But we are all humans and no one likes being told what to do.

And before you say it, yes, I tell people what to do, and no they don't like it. But I only do so when I have the authority to do it.

In a scenario such as that, I can understand how you would feel that way. We all expect, and most of us deserve, common courtesy.

I think that you will find that the vast majority of posters here are not anti-law enforcement. What we are is anti-law enforcement abuse, the abuse of the rights of the citizens by the police.

Let's face it: the police are recruited from society at large. A few bad apples will always slip through the cracks.

FogRider

imported post

glocknroll wrote:
In a scenario such as that, I can understand how you would feel that way. We all expect, and most of us deserve, common courtesy.

I think that you will find that the vast majority of posters here are not anti-law enforcement. What we are is anti-law enforcement abuse, the abuse of the rights of the citizens by the police.

Let's face it: the police are recruited from society at large. A few bad apples will always slip through the cracks.
Hear hear. The "us vs. them" attitude (from both sides) gets tiring. Cop forum members: don't get all up in arms if someone complains about abuse from a cop. You are not a bad cop? Then no-one is accusing you of anything. And if they are, they need to cut it out. Same for all the non-police members. If a cop is complaining about someone doing something stupid that deserves the treatment they got, and it wasn't you, don't take it personally.

ace1001

imported post

ALL people should remain cautious to one another. All citizens should expect assistance from the police if they are in trouble and the police are not heading off a more important crisis. If not, paint out the protect and serve on you car or add the word "yourself". Where I come from, we help each other....we don't say, "That's not my job description." It IS a part of yours.

What I hear you say is, "If I like em I help em. If I don't they can go to hell." You are NOT a private citizen when you wear that uniform.

Ace

ChopperCopper

imported post

ace1001 wrote:
ALL people should remain cautious to one another. All citizens should expect assistance from the police if they are in trouble and the police are not heading off a more important crisis. If not, paint out the protect and serve on you car or add the word "yourself". Where I come from, we help each other....we don't say, "That's not my job description." It IS a part of yours.

What I hear you say is, "If I like em I help em. If I don't they can go to hell." You are NOT a private citizen when you wear that uniform.

Ace

I can't help what you hear, but you are not listening to what I said. It is not my job to do for people what they can do for themselves.

You can think what you want, it matters not to me. I have many letters of thanks in my personnel file for doing courteous things for courteous people.

But please continue, I keep forgetting what my duties are.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

ChopperCopper wrote:
You are absolutely right, question away. But that is not the issue of debate. I know how to do my job, and do not need someone to tell me.

Well..., when a 22 year "veteran" puts cuffs on me telling me that I can't carry a gun OC-manner and is saying that I am breaking the Law, and I ask which Law I broke and, I then have to tell what the law is.I go on to tell that "veteran" that I carry for personal protection and for the protection of people around me + that the SUPREME COURT of THE UNITED STATES has ruled that the officer has NO DUTY/OBLIGATION to protect me as an individual but the PUBLIC. The facial expression of that officer changes quite rapidly and so does the body language.

I will tell or rather remind ANY officer what their duties are cuz VERY few actually knows it.The only thing that they know is that "I have a badge and agun,so you should just shut the hell up" attitude+ ALL Law Enforcement Officers works for US THE PEOPLE.

I vote for EVERY CITIZEN/LAWFUL RESIDENT to have a gun so that LEO's can do what they do the best. EATING DONUTS:celebrate.

TJ

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
I will tell or rather remind ANY officer what their duties are cuz VERY few actually knows it.The only thing that they know is that "I have a badge and agun,so you should just shut the hell up" attitude+ ALL Law Enforcement Officers works for US THE PEOPLE.

:celebrate I vote for EVERY CITIZEN/LAWFUL RESIDENT to have a gun so that LEO's can do what they do the best. EATING DONUTS. TJ
Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

:celebrate I vote for EVERY CITIZEN/LAWFUL RESIDENT to have a gun so that LEO's can do what they do the best. EATING DONUTS. TJ
Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Decoligny

imported post

ChopperCopper wrote:
But please continue, I keep forgetting what my duties are.
This is not a flame on LEOs, it is just a basic layman's understanding of the primary responsibilities of the average LEO.

To enforce the law (you are only able to do that within your immediate field of vision/hearing, you can't be everywhere)

To investigate reports of criminal activity (usually after it has already happened)

To apprehend criminals and introduce them into the justice system(alsoafter the criminal activity has happened)

To generate as much revenue as possible for the City/State/County (ticket anything that even remotely look like a violation that can be fined)

The LEO has no responsibility or duty to protectanyone. However, if someone is assaulted, then he will take a description of the perp,or if the "victim" of the assault is a law abiding citizen carrying a gun, he will hopefully draw the nice little chalk outline on the pavement.

ace1001

imported post

And confiscate the victim's gun, and treat him like a criminal.:banghead:

ChopperCopper

imported post

This has turned out to be nothing other than a place for people to voice their displeasures with the police. Although, I'm pretty sure you haven't met all 500,000 LEOs in this nation. It's been real and it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun. Peace out.

ace1001

imported post

No, just the ones who feel the powers of their job are their own personal franchise. Who feel themselves above the law, a privileged class, samurai if you will. In Mexico it is all I have met. It IS much better here. I have even had friends who joined LE, and over a few years they start to feel the laws don't apply to them. We see this and it forms the opinion that paints LE as a whole. Power corrupts. The second amendment keeps that power from being absolute. Being a LEO is like working in a bar all you life and not developing a drinking problem. Ace

Decoligny

imported post

+100

My brother in law and my niece are LEOs, good LEOs. Any comments posted about "police abuse of authority" are usuallydirected at those LEOs who are abusing authority.

It's like saying "I don't like fat fishermen". The statement isnot saying that all fisherman are fat.

"I don't like police who abuse authority, or operate under the color of law." That statement is not saying all police abuse authority, or operate under the color of law.

ChopperCopper

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
To generate as much revenue as possible for the City/State/County (ticket anything that even remotely look like a violation that can be fined)
Point one.

ChopperCopper

imported post

Those are really broad statements that do nothing to distinguish between those cops you "like" and those you don't.

If you really only held a few LEOs in contempt, then you wouldn't spend all your time harping about them. That is just an excuse you use after the fact when you make broad sweeping statements about all LEOs.

What would be your impression of me if all I did was to talk about the stupidity some people have when they open carry? Constantly making broad sweeping statements that shed no good light upon those who practice their right with the utmost responsibility. And then for me to just say, "Oh, I just don't like those people who do stupid things to bring a bad name to those of us who open carry."

Bullcrap.

You have ahatred ofLEOs that you hide behind the facade of patriotism.

Decoligny

imported post

ChopperCopper wrote:
Those are really broad statements that do nothing to distinguish between those cops you "like" and those you don't.

If you really only held a few LEOs in contempt, then you wouldn't spend all your time harping about them. That is just an excuse you use after the fact when you make broad sweeping statements about all LEOs.

What would be your impression of me if all I did was to talk about the stupidity some people have when they open carry? Constantly making broad sweeping statements that shed no good light upon those who practice their right with the utmost responsibility. And then for me to just say, "Oh, I just don't like those people who do stupid things to bring a bad name to those of us who open carry."

Bullcrap.

You have ahatred ofLEOs that you hide behind the facade of patriotism.
When you have coffee every morning at your favorite restaurant, and it is good coffee, same as always, do you tell all your friends? No.

When you expect good coffee, and you get a cup of foul stinking greasy thick slime instead, you will most likey get upset, tell the waiter, demand to speak to the manager, and let everyone you talk to for the next three or four days know about the horrible crap they tried to pass off to you as coffee. You might even start up a campaign to get the restaurant closed down.

There are a multitude of instances in the different Open Carry Logs posted on this very forum where it is reported that "passed by LEOs at Whosit's Cafe and they just smiled and went about their business" - NON-EVENT.

Nobody complainsthat these reports are using a brad brush to paint these LEOs intoo good a light.

Nobody complains about the LEOs who are actually doing their jobs as they are supposed too be doing thier jobs.

People complain when something isn't as it should be. The few LEOs who, under color of law,harrass law abiding citizens who are only exercising thier right to carry, they are going to get the most attention.

IMMPORTANT NEWS REPORT, COP DOESN"T HASSLE OC'ER: Saw my borther-in-law (Police Detective Lt) on Superbowl Sunday,didn't get hasseled by him, he didn't draw his weapon, he didn't confiscate my weapon, he didn't frisk me, he didn't cuff me, he didn't haul me in to the station for questioning, he didn't violate my rights.

Decoligny

imported post

ChopperCopper wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
Point one.
This is not a "bash", it is the truth. Take for example the CHP motorcycle officers. Thier PRIMARY duty is to write traffic tickets. Traffic Tickets are a MAJOR source of revenue for the state of California.