• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lifetime Carry Permit

snowman0

imported post

Lifetime Permit update:

:celebrateI feel like a little kid in a candy store, I filedthe paperwork Dec. 26, 2007 and finally got it back today. I thought it was a pretty fast turn-around time for the a gov't agency :celebrate

Skippy

imported post

Captain Pedantic here. It's a license, not a permit. :p

Hey, if people can getting uppity over the clip/mag argument...

Beau

imported post

Skippy wrote:

The whole clip/magazine thing is weird. I called it a clip in front of my shooting buddy and he goes "you better not call it a clip at a match, some of those guys would jump all over you". At first I thought he was joking. I guess some people take it way to serious.

Next time were at a match I'm gonna say Hey, hand me a bullet dispenser, real loud so people can here. Just to see what happens.

Beau

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Skippy wrote:

Ah... but Permit, and License ARE the same thing whereas a clip and magazine are different.;)
Who cares?... If someone says clip and they mean magazine I know what their talking about. If I say clip, I don't need the grammar police getting in my face about it. I just don't understand why this is something some people feel the need to raise their blood pressue about.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I care. And so do many other enthusiasts around the world. You use incorrect terminology and think it's okay. What if you were to go to an auto-mechanic who didn't know the difference between a wheel and a tire (a common mixup when dealing with non-car people)? You wouldn't trust the guy and wouldn't consider him very well versed on the topic at hand, now would you?

The same goes with firearms. We take up a hobby such as shooting with the intentinon of having fun and staying safe. Part of staying safe is through education. Education includes properly acquiring and usingthe vocabulary of the topic. If a doctor called your kidney your liver, you'd be concerned. Why? They sort of do the same thing (filtering fluids)?Because doctors are supposed to know the difference and use the correct terminology when discussing them. It's no different with firearms, or any other thing hobby you take up. You should be well versed in proper terminology, or else convey an image of ignorance.

People like me take offense to improper use of terms such as magazine and clip because it indicates a lack of knowledge of the subject. And at a range, where there are lots of people around with loaded firearms, I would like to be sure that everyone there has as much knowledge as they can about the subject.

edited for probably the world's worst typo

Phssthpok

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
What if you were to go to an auto-mechanic who didn't know the difference between a wheel and a tire (a common mixup when dealing with non-car people)? You wouldn't trust the guy and wouldn't consider him very well versed on the topic at hand, now would you?
:lol::lol::lol:

You reminded me of the time I went to the parts counter at the local Chevy DEALERSHIP in search of a Torque Strut for a 91 corsica. The guy got this blank look on his face:

".... a WHAT?"
"Torque strut. Connects the passenger side of the engine to the frame on the front si..."
"Oh!.. you mean a lower motor mount!"
"No... I mean a Torque Strut. It doesn't support the motor, it locates it..."
"It's called a lower motor mount! There's no such thing as a Torque Strut."
"Fine. Whatever. Do you have one?"
"Have to order it in...be two days"
"Fine. go ahead."

The whole thing pissed me off so much that when I got home I called another dealership about 45 min. away on the off chance they'd have such an oddball item on hand. I asked for a 'lower passenger side motor mount' thinking it was possibnle that was what it was actually called in the parts reference. Guy on the phone looked it up, told me it was actually called a Torque Strut :)banghead::banghead:) and told me they even had one in stock! I put a hold on it and drove right over there to get it. Just to be an ass I waited a full day before canceling my order at the other place.

Words mean things people. Particularly when it comes to 'law'.....words mean EXACTLY and ONLY what they say. In 'Law', meaning what you say and saying what you mean are NOT synonymous, and when you use the wrong words you are practicing 'lazy speaking' which makes you appear less intelligent than you are. If you want people in society to regard you with respect, then give them something to respect.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glad the license/permit went so fast, Snowman0.

Just to chip in on the word usage discussion. The important thing is that people understand one another. If someone asks where to get a clip for a 1911, I know what he is talking about, even if he uses a technically incorrect word. Ditto for tires and wheels. My mom calls and says the right front wheel is shimmying, I know she is including the tire and that lead weight between the two. Somebody asks me howtochange the spark plugs on their diesel engine, I know what they are talking about, even if the term isn't correct.

People invent words.People come up with new meanings for old words.Old wordsgetapplied in newways to something similar and lose their precision (the whole aspirin thing comes to mind--it used to be a trade name only for Bayer, if I recall.) The important thing is the other guy understands what is meant.

In my job I have to call things by the wrong name so customers understand what I'm talking about. They're not versed in the specialized vocabulary.

Thereare times to be technical or precise to ensure the exact intended message isn't misunderstood; and there are times when it just isn't important.

Relax and enjoy the conversation. :)

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
You reminded me of the time I went to the parts counter at the local Chevy DEALERSHIP in search of a Torque Strut for a 91 corsica. The guy got this blank look on his face:

".... a WHAT?"
"Torque strut. Connects the passenger side of the engine to the frame on the front si..."
"Oh!.. you mean a lower motor mount!"
"No... I mean a Torque Strut. It doesn't support the motor, it locates it..."
"It's called a lower motor mount! There's no such thing as a Torque Strut."
"Fine. Whatever. Do you have one?"
"Have to order it in...be two days"
"Fine. go ahead."

LMAO... 20 years in a US Navy Engine Room and I can tell you things like that DO piss off a lot of people. I had a Chief Engineer that would CHEW your ASS off if you used improper terminology!

MOTORS are electrical,ENGINES are mechanical. Valves are OPEN or SHUT, never closed. Electrical switchboard breakers are either CLOSED or TRIPPED.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

But still the ER Chiefs buy Swageloc (over lunch bought by the salesman) with CPI threads versus Parker-Hannefin with SAE (just like the rest of the ER).

As to terminology, you won't qualify (SS) saying "close" or "repeat." Words mean things.

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Beau

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
I care. And so do many other enthusiasts around the world. You use incorrect terminology and think it's okay. What if you were to go to an auto-mechanic who didn't know the difference between a wheel and a tire (a common mixup when dealing with non-car people)? You wouldn't trust the guy and wouldn't consider him very well versed on the topic at hand, now would you?

The same goes with firearms. We take up a hobby such as shooting with the intentinon of having fun and staying safe. Part of staying safe is through education. Education includes properly acquiring and usingthe vocabulary of the topic. If a doctor called your kidney your liver, you'd be concerned. Why? They sort of do the same thing (filtering fluids)?Because doctors are supposed to know the difference and use the correct terminology when discussing them. It's no different with firearms, or any other thing hobby you take up. You should be well versed in proper terminology, or else convey an image of ignorance.

People like me take offense to improper use of terms such as magazine and clip because it indicates a lack of knowledge of the subject. And at a range, where there are lots of people around with loaded firearms, I would like to be sure that everyone there has as much knowledge as they can about the subject.

edited for probably the world's worst typo

So when giving someone directions I'm sure you would say turn left/right at the traffic signal, not street light. And you wouldn't say cross the train tracks because it's called a railroad.

I agree that there are times when using proper terminology is important. But I don't see how someone telling his shooting partner to hand him another clip negates safety in any way. I also don't see how using this incorrect terminology gives someone else the right to jump in and start making corrections. In my opinion people that do this only want to make themselves look superior by attmepting to make the other person look dumb or ignorant.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

It matters in this context:
We've let each other and liberals call our semi-automatic handguns and rifles automatics for years. Now it gives the libs footing to ban those scary "automatics" and everyone thinks "of course you should ban machineguns." It's terminology and attention to detail that are partly to blame for us loosing the PR war.

And as far as I know, the only gun to ever use a real clip is the M1 Garand. Otherwise a removable 'bullet dispenser' is called a magazine. :p
Though to get really technical, a bullet is only the projectile and the cartridge is the whole bullet, case, and primer. :celebrate

Decoligny

imported post

Beau wrote:
Skippy wrote:

The whole clip/magazine thing is weird. I called it a clip in front of my shooting buddy and he goes "you better not call it a clip at a match, some of those guys would jump all over you". At first I thought he was joking. I guess some people take it way to serious.

Next time were at a match I'm gonna say Hey, hand me a bullet dispenser, real loud so people can here. Just to see what happens.

Bullet Dispenser = Firearm

squarepeg

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Beau wrote:
Bullet Dispenser = Firearm
You beet me to it. Bullet Dispenser...now I am thinking of some kind of gun that fires when the top is fliped back like PEZ. WOW this thread got off topic fast.

karlsgunbunker

imported post

I got my Lifetime License in Jan.

I'm an 01FFL so it only cost $50, Membership has it's privledges. LOL

It took about 20 days for my Permit to arrive.

I didn't realize you could Open Carry in IN even with a permit.

Some great information here.

unrequited

imported post

Clip vs. Magazine video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzmVJ1rXD9U

Nobody remembers half/full-moon clips for revolvers.

I'm not too clear on the license vs. permit defintion distinctions though, besides what your specific state calls the piece of paper.

dictionary.com has the definition of permit as:
–noun
8. an authoritative or official certificate of permission; license: a fishing permit.
9. a written order granting special permission to do something.

and license as:
–noun
1. formal permission from a governmental or other constituted authority to do something, as to carry on some business or profession.
2. a certificate, tag, plate, etc., giving proof of such permission; official permit: a driver's license.

*shrug*