• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

? On Newly Passed Bill

Firefighter194

imported post

Just a quick question. If the bill passes in the Senate and the law takes effect, how would we know if the restaurant allows this? Would we just conceal carry, and if someone notices and tells managment we find out that way? Or do we call ahead of time to the places we plan on going and ask what there rules are concerning this?

I hope this passes, because I do not drink, but like to go out with family and friends that do. Being able to conceal carry would make me feel that much safer. I know open carry is allowed if permitted, but I personally feel better concealing than open carrying..... Especially around a bunch of drunks that like to talk $h!t when they see someone with a sidearm.

Whats your thought guys / gals?

After Thought............ Would this also be for clubs? Or just restaurants?

Senate Bill 476 passed by a 9-4 vote. Authored by State Senator Emmett Hanger (R-24), SB476 is an important concealed carry reform bill that would allow restaurant owners to decide if lawfully concealed firearms are allowed in their establishments, provided the permit holder does not consume alcohol. Current Virginia statute allows restaurateurs to permit open carrying, but not concealed carry for lawfully permitted citizens. Please contact the following Senators and thank them for further enhancing Virginia's Right-to-Carry statute by supporting and voting for SB476:

State Senator Roscoe Reynolds (D-20)
(804) 698-7520; district20@sov.state.va.us

State Senator Creigh Deeds (D-25)
(804) 698-7525; district25@sov.state.va.us

State Senator John Edwards (D-21)
(804) 698-7521; district21@sov.state.va.us

State Senator Ken Stolle (R-8)
(804) 698-7508; district08@sov.state.va.us

State Senator Fred Quayle (R-13)
(804) 698-7513; district13@sov.state.va.us

State Senator Ken Cuccinelli (R-37)
(804) 698-7537; district37@sov.state.va.us

State Senator Mark Obenshain (R-26)
(804) 698-7526; district26@sov.state.va.us

State Senator Ryan McDougal (R-4)
(804) 698-7504; district04@sov.state.va.us

State Senator Robert Hurt (R-19)
(804) 698-7519; district19@sov.state.va.us

Special thanks to Senators Vogel and Hanger for their leadership on these important proposals. Both SB436 and SB476 are now headed for the Senate floor for consideration. Please contact your State Senator today and strongly encourage him or her to protect your right to self-defense by supporting and voting for both SB436 and SB476 in their current forms! Contact information for your State Senator can be found by clicking here.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If the restaurant is posted, they have provided notice. Otherwise the only way to know is to be found and addressed by a member of management.

DeadCenter

imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
If the restaurant is posted, they have provided notice. Otherwise the only way to know is to be found and addressed by a member of managemen
No need to call ahead at anytime except for a reservation. The last thing we need is no guns signs everywhere. That would make the adjustment to the law a mute point.

DC

soloban

imported post

This is the way I look at it:

When this law takes effect and I am allowed to conceal in an establishment that serves alcohol, I don't plan on asking permission from the manager. How is it any different from carrying into anywhere else? Don't ask...don't tell.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

soloban wrote:
This is the way I look at it:

When this law takes effect and I am allowed to conceal in an establishment that serves alcohol, I don't plan on asking permission from the manager. How is it any different from carrying into anywhere else? Don't ask...don't tell.
Absolutely! No sign? Then, DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL!!!

AbNo

imported post

Plus, I seem to recall a manager changing his mind after an exchange of
"You can't have that in here! Put that in your car!"
"Ok, wifey. Where would you like to eat instead?"

Can't remember who told that story....

unrequited

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
What sign?  I didn't see no stinking sign when I cam in. I was looking at the hot hostess.
Some have said the posting of a sign is your first notice of tresspass, meaning once you print, or accidentally flash, you could be cited right there and then without a second verbal request to leave.

savery

imported post

Something to think about....

in VA, a "no weapons" sign carries about as much weight as a sign that says "no midriffs."

however, another one that's commonly seen is a sign that says "no skating... violators will be prosecuted"

I wonder if there's a difference?

unrequited

imported post

savery wrote:
Something to think about....

in VA, a "no weapons" sign carries about as much weight as a sign that says "no midriffs."

however, another one that's commonly seen is a sign that says "no skating... violators will be prosecuted"

I wonder if there's a difference?
Found the post by LEO229 where he quotes 18.2-119:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-119

If any person without authority of law goes upon or remains upon the lands, buildings or premises of another, or any portion or area thereof, after having been forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, by the owner, lessee, custodian or other person lawfully in charge thereof, or after having been forbidden to do so by a sign or signs posted by such persons or by the holder of any easement or other right-of-way authorized by the instrument creating such interest to post such signs on such lands, structures, premises or portion or area thereof at a place or places where it or they may be reasonably seen,[/qoute]

Just requoting what he wrote, I don't think it ever got resolved of what would happen to the summons once it hit a judge, but still.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/3302-2.html#p48761