Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 5 cents tax on each round...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , Maryland, USA
    Posts
    230

    Post imported post

    The people who come up with crap…what planet are they from?! Serialized bullets and brass? Is there even an ammunition manufacturer on the planetthat will do this to accommodate only a single State?

    Maryland House Bill 51 – Regulated Firearms – Encoded Ammunition – Tax
    http://mlis.state.md.us/2008RS/bills/hb/hb0517f.pdf

    Stock up on ammo now? Nope…you’re gonna have to get rid of that non-encoded ammo!
    5-604 “On or before January 1, 2011, an owner of ammunition for use in a regulated firearm that is not encoded by the manufacturer in accordance with 5-603 of this subtitle shall dispose of the ammunition.”

    But it won’t really affect the price of ammunition, right? Wrong!
    11-1B-04 “The encoded ammunition database tax rate is 5 cents per round of encoded ammunition.”

    The way I read the wording below, simply firing the encoded ammunition is a misdemeanor if the bullet encoding on the bullet is unreadable after it impacts something?!
    5-608 (2) “A person who willfully destroys or otherwise renders unreadable the information encoded on ammunition required under this subtitle is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or a fine of $1,000 or both.”

    For those of you not familiar with the phrase, “regulated firearm” in Maryland, it includes all handguns (as well as a long, detailed list of "scary assault weapons"). There's a bunch of other stuff in this bill too, but I kept throwing up, so I had to stop typing.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , Maryland, USA
    Posts
    230

    Post imported post

    Oh yeah, under this bill,every time someone purchases ammunition in Maryland, they must provide name, date of birth, and driver's license number. This will all be recorded and tracked via the database to each and every serialized (encoded) round.

    I wonder what this all means for folks simply traveling through Maryland with ammunition that is NOT encoded? Would they be in violation of the law? Sounds a lot like D.C. with their registered ammunition. Well, it seems to be working there...


  3. #3
    Regular Member ChinChin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    683

    Post imported post

    echo6tango wrote:
    Oh yeah, under this bill,every time someone purchases ammunition in Maryland, they must provide name, date of birth, and driver's license number. This will all be recorded and tracked via the database to each and every serialized (encoded) round.

    I wonder what this all means for folks simply traveling through Maryland with ammunition that is NOT encoded? Would they be in violation of the law? Sounds a lot like D.C. with their registered ammunition. Well, it seems to be working there...

    You're not thinking in large enough scale, not seeing the true intention of the antis who proposed this bill. . .

    If Maryland is the only state in the nation that has such a law in place, do you really think ammunition manufactures are going to incur the additional cost to them to encode said rounds IN HOPES that people from Maryland will buy them?

    There is simply no profit for your Winchesters, your federals, your blazers to specially manufacture rounds for use ONLY in Maryland. What will happen is the availability of rounds lawful to fire in Maryland will fully dry up until there are no rounds left.

    You might be able to get these rounds specially ordered for a 300% price increase, but don't expect to get your replacement rounds overnight, or even in the same month. The manufacture will wait until they have an order large enough to warrant the cost of special manufacturing.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when youre serious and when youre being sarcastic. Abraham Lincoln

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , Maryland, USA
    Posts
    230

    Post imported post

    ChinChin wrote:
    echo6tango wrote:
    Oh yeah, under this bill,every time someone purchases ammunition in Maryland, they must provide name, date of birth, and driver's license number. This will all be recorded and tracked via the database to each and every serialized (encoded) round.

    I wonder what this all means for folks simply traveling through Maryland with ammunition that is NOT encoded? Would they be in violation of the law? Sounds a lot like D.C. with their registered ammunition. Well, it seems to be working there...
    You're not thinking in large enough scale, not seeing the true intention of the antis who proposed this bill. . .

    If Maryland is the only state in the nation that has such a law in place, do you really think ammunition manufactures are going to incur the additional cost to them to encode said rounds IN HOPES that people from Maryland will buy them?

    There is simply no profit for your Winchesters, your federals, your blazers to specially manufacture rounds for use ONLY in Maryland. What will happen is the availability of rounds lawful to fire in Maryland will fully dry up until there are no rounds left.

    You might be able to get these rounds specially ordered for a 300% price increase, but don't expect to get your replacement rounds overnight, or even in the same month. The manufacture will wait until they have an order large enough to warrant the cost of special manufacturing.
    Do you think the badguys will go the extra mile to special order the ammo so that when they're committing crimes with firearms at least the ammo will be legal?

    So the law-abiding, peace-loving folks living in Maryland can own firearms, possess those firearms in their homes, but will have to make sound effects instead of firing real ammo in self defense.

    I wonder how the police departments will be compliant....???

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , Maryland, USA
    Posts
    230

    Post imported post

    Looks like Maryland isn't the only state with legislators on some kind of whacky stuff...It appears that Tennessee and Mississippi have bills in the works with the super cool new serilaized bullet encoding.

    For Mississippi:
    http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/doc...9/SB2286IN.htm

    From Tennesee:
    http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/b...ILL/HB3245.pdf
    http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/b...ILL/SB3395.pdf

    If these links don't work for ya, let me know. There's far too much text to post them here.

    Here's a link to a company that does the serializing, encoding, microstamping, whatever you wanna call it: http://www.ammocoding.com/index.php. I wonder if there's any wel-known folks that have stock in this, or any similar company...?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kent county, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    322

    Post imported post

    so they will stop you, disarm you, disassemble your ammunition, (to check that the bullet code hasn't been altered), then leave you with your gun and inoperative ammunition?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington, USA
    Posts
    227

    Post imported post

    Arnold already signed this legislation in CA.

    "Schwarzenegger's signing of bills to require microstamping of semiautomatic pistols and to ban lead bullets in condor country has prompted gun groups to paint him as one of the state's most anti-gun Republican governors."

    http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/485451.html


    There are trying to pass these laws at a state level all over the country.


  8. #8
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    nathan wrote:
    Arnold already signed this legislation in CA.

    "Schwarzenegger's signing of bills to require microstamping of semiautomatic pistols and to ban lead bullets in condor country has prompted gun groups to paint him as one of the state's most anti-gun Republican governors."

    http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/485451.html


    There are trying to pass these laws at a state level all over the country.
    Arnold signed legislation that is nowhere near as intrusive as this. All handguns manufactured or sold in CA after a certain date have to have a firing pin that microstamps the brass with the guns serial number. This makes the guns more expensive, but you can still get any ammo you want at the normal cost and you can still reload. It is a useless law that can be skirted by criminals just by buying a new firing pin from another state, or just by using a revolver, no brass left at the crime scene, no numbers to match.

    With this new "encoded" ammuntion, the bullet has to have a number on the bottom, and the shell casing has to have the same number engraved inside it. These numbers are registered in a database along with all your personal information when you buy the ammo. You are required to get rid of any "unencoded" ammo by a certain date. You are not allowed to be in possession of any "unencoded" ammo. Reloaders will be SOL. You will not be able to buy ammo from another state that doesn't have "encoded" ammo. If someone steals your ammo, then shoots someone, they will come looking for you, cause your name is tied to the bullet they just removed from some dead guys chest.

    Write to your legislators now.

    Call your legilators now.

    E-mail your legislators now.



  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413

    Post imported post

    echo6tango wrote:
    I wonder how the police departments will be compliant....???
    Since all Marylanders, criminals included, will have encoded ammunition, the police need not purchase this overpriced stuff. Any unencoded ammunition recovered from a scene is naturally the stuff fired from a police firearm.

    If I'm wrong, is this another unfunded law requiring budget increases by Maryland police departments to purchase ammo? How many rounds do PDs go through in a year. I'm sure it amounts to quite a bit of $ annually.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •