• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry laws VA dispute

cmg266

imported post

Ok so some of you might alredy know I am a student at NOVA annandale campus. My understanding of the firearm laws are pretty accurate from what I think. My professor is a very intelligent man and worked for the Federal Government as a Special Agent for over two decades. Although he is not 100% sure he is pretty certian I am mistaken. My knowledge of this matter is..

That anyone of the age of 18 or over may openly carry a firearm as long as its not stated it is now allowed. I.E post office, police station, etc. Also as long as he has not convicted a felony.

A permit is not required for open carry as long as the person is over the age of 18.

Not 100% sure on this one but, a handgun is not registered to the buyer specifically.

Anyone under the age of 21 may not puchass a handgun or handgun ammo.

The penalty for conceal carrying a handgun is a misdameanor.

Local and state law enforcement can not arrest someone of the age of 18 or older for openly carrying a handgun that does not disguise its true nature.

I wish today I had the statues with me, but I could only display my NRA ID. This is not an argument more of a discussion. I know a Federal agent might be able to charge me with a firearm violation at best, but I'm not sure what the penalty. So basically I'm asking some of you guys if you could show me all the statues regarding my issues so I can show him next class. I don't want to rub his face in it, just want to inform him of the local statues. So any help guys? Thanks I know you guys here and will have an answer to this question so, thanks in advance.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That's a pretty tall order.

You may not realize it but you're asking for a good bit of research time.

The quickest solution is to get a copy of a book called, Virginia Gun Owners Guide by Bloomfield press. Its got pretty much every statute a gun owner would want to know. Gilberts Small Arms in Lorton has them. If you can't get there easily PM me with your location, I'll try to help you. I think I might evenhave a second copy if I haven't givenitaway yet.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sometimes it's easier if you look at the top of the forums page for all the "basic" stuff. You might find that someone has done much of the work for you, and even put it in a convenient form.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum61/3356.html prints out into something you can fold and stick in your pocket or wallet.

Make an extra copy for your prof. Rerad your copy first, so you can correct some of the errors below:

That anyone of the age of 18 or over may openly carry a firearm as long as its not stated it is now allowed. I.E post office questionable , police station wrong!, etc. Also as long as he has not been convicted of a felony.

A permit is not required for open carry as long as the person is over the age of 18. correct

Not 100% sure on this one but, a handgun is not registered to the buyer specifically.Righty-O! Firearms are not registered at all.

Anyone under the age of 21 may not puchass a handgun wrongor handgun ammo correct.

The penalty for conceal carrying a handgun is a misdameanor. first offense

Local and state law enforcement can not arrest someone of the age of 18 or older for openly carrying a handgun that does not disguise its true nature. wrong - you can be arrested for not violating the law. You should not be convicted if there was no violation of law. (I know - technical detail. but the devil is in the details.) Bonus points if you ID the quote by source & speaker.

stay safe.

skidmark
edited to clean up formatting

VApatriot

imported post

§ 18.2-308.7It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. . . (Read that backwards, and it says anyone* over 18 can possess a handgun.)

*Muststill meetall other requirements to possess any firearm.

§ 18.2-309 . . .B. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a handgun, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. This subsection shall not apply to any transfer made between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity. (You can buyor receive asa gift ahandgun from a family member.)

kle

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Anyone under the age of 21 may not puchass a handgun wrong...
I was of the understanding that you must be 21 to legally buy a handgun, but you can be 18 and legally possess a handgun (i.e. it was gifted to you).

edit: VApatriot got to it first =)

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a very GOOD friend who is a retired FBI Special Agent. He and I started discussing Virginia gun laws and, believe me, he had no idea what the Virginia laws were. He didn't even know you could carry in state/local government buildings and that pre-emption is the rule in Virginia. Do your homework and good luck!The Virginia Gun Owners Guide, available at Amazon, is a great reference book, too.
718XRDHD49L._AA240_.gif

PackininVB

imported post

cmg266 wrote:
Ok so some of you might alredy know I am a student at NOVA annandale campus. My understanding of the firearm laws are pretty accurate from what I think. My professor is a very intelligent man and worked for the Federal Government as a Special Agent for over two decades. Although he is not 100% sure he is pretty certian I am mistaken. My knowledge of this matter is..

That anyone of the age of 18 or over may openly carry a firearm as long as its not stated it is now allowed. I.E post office, police station, etc. Also as long as he has not convicted a felony.

A permit is not required for open carry as long as the person is over the age of 18.

Not 100% sure on this one but, a handgun is not registered to the buyer specifically.

Local and state law enforcement can not arrest someone of the age of 18 or older for openly carrying a handgun that does not disguise its true nature.

I wish today I had the statues with me, but I could only display my NRA ID. This is not an argument more of a discussion. I know a Federal agent might be able to charge me with a firearm violation at best, but I'm not sure what the penalty. So basically I'm asking some of you guys if you could show me all the statues regarding my issues so I can show him next class. I don't want to rub his face in it, just want to inform him of the local statues. So any help guys? Thanks I know you guys here and will have an answer to this question so, thanks in advance.

Basically what everyone is saying in so many posts is this:

Anyone over 18 can OC anywhere that you can CC (Cept restaurants that serve alcohol, then you must OC) so long as you are not prohibited legally from owning a gun (i.e. felon, wife beater, druggie, etc.)

A permit is not required for anyone to OC, period. 18-100, You cant get a permit anyways until your 21 so you cant be required to have one to OC.

Guns are not registered at all.

Only 21+ can buy from an FFL dealer, but 18+ can buy from a private seller, but only 21+ can buy handgun ammo.

True, and as skidmark said, first offense.

No they cant. The DA has said that OC in and of itself is not means to stop someone (terry stop, wikipedia it.) or arrest someone. However if you are, you stand to sue the Police Dept for wrongful arrest so long as you werent doing anything else wrong.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The VA Gun Laws book is good BUT remember the amount of time it takes a book to be researched and published.

Be sure to check out changes.

In Virginia, laws generally change 1 July, after a Jan-March legislative session. Make certain you verify what you read in a book.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

cmg266 wrote:
Ok so some of you might alredy know I am a student at NOVA annandale campus. My understanding of the firearm laws are pretty accurate from what I think. My professor is a very intelligent man and worked for the Federal Government as a Special Agent for over two decades. Although he is not 100% sure he is pretty certian I am mistaken.
Send your professor the link to OCDO and ask him to cite any Virginia or federal statute making OC at 18 a crime in Virginia as a general matter.

cmg266

imported post

Great info guys. I appreciate it. I'll bring in the appropiate information to him next class. I dont think it was that he knew that he knew the law he just is a Fed guy so he didn't take much time to learn state/local. This will be great thanks.

jack

Banned
imported post

Mike wrote:
cmg266 wrote:
Ok so some of you might alredy know I am a student at NOVA annandale campus. My understanding of the firearm laws are pretty accurate from what I think. My professor is a very intelligent man and worked for the Federal Government as a Special Agent for over two decades. Although he is not 100% sure he is pretty certian I am mistaken.
Send your professor the link to OCDO and ask him to cite any Virginia or federal statute making OC at 18 a crime in Virginia as a general matter.

Mike, recently I said almost the same thing to a cop during a casual conversation in a gun shop.

His response: " You have to remember the law is only a guide. Just because there is no specific law on the books, doesn't mean you aren't doing anything illegal that you can be arrested for."

Seriously, he actually said that.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jack wrote:
Mike, recently I said almost the same thing to a cop during a casual conversation in a gun shop.

His response: " You have to remember the law is only a guide. Just because there is no specific law on the books, doesn't mean you aren't doing anything illegal that you can be arrested for."

And he's right. You can be arrested.

Of course, you can't be convicted for breaking a law that doesn't exist, and a few of these "arrests" will get that officer a reputation he probably doesn't want to have.

Fortunately, there are only a few of this type of officer. The majority earned their high-school education.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tess wrote:
jack wrote:

SNIP ...a few of these "arrests" will get that officer a reputation he probably doesn't want to have.

And we citizens can helpany officer like this startaquiring said reputation right away by firing off a complaint whenever we hear such. Raisethe standard.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DoubleR wrote:
I have a very GOOD friend who is a retired FBI Special Agent. He and I started discussing Virginia gun laws and, believe me, he had no idea what the Virginia laws were. He didn't even know you could carry in state/local government buildings and that pre-emption is the rule in Virginia. Do your homework and good luck!The Virginia Gun Owners Guide, available at Amazon, is a great reference book, too.
718XRDHD49L._AA240_.gif
I noticed recently that Bloomfield Press posts updates to the laws covered in their books on their website, www.gunlaws.com.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tess wrote:
jack wrote:

SNIP ...a few of these "arrests" will get that officer a reputation he probably doesn't want to have.

And we citizens can helpany officer like this startaquiring said reputation right away by firing off a complaint whenever we hear such. Raisethe standard.
Personally I would never consider just letting such an action of an LEO go by. The revenge side of me would want to make him pay dearly for his errors. One of my strongest pet peeves is police who think and act as though we are their subjects and subodinates when in fact, we are their bosses. It is through our authority that government and all of its agencies, police included, exist. It really gets me when the tail wags the dog.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
SNIP Personally I would never consider just letting such an action of an LEO go by. The revenge side of me would want to make him pay dearly for his errors.

May I respectfully submit making the complaintfrom the viewpoint of helping the police police themselves?

We should go back to the thread topic.