• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Albemarle, NC

ugly

imported post

LEO showed me this and said remember these words ALL CITY OWNED PROPERTY etc. roads that are within city limits or anything that is owned by the city!! looks like this young first day cop just trying to show off!! i did not talk to him much or try to prove a point that he is wrong because i think he's been watching to many of that tv show COP's and might try to bust me for no reason and point a gun at me and tackle me to the ground!!! 4-5 Police Station in a town 15,000 pop. with like 50 - 60 LEO is just a wasted of my tax money!!!

§ 82.41 WEAPONS PROHIBITED ON CITY PROPERTY.

(A) Except as provided in subsection (B) below, all persons are prohibited from possessing weapons as defined in G.S. 14-269 in city owned buildings, their appurtenant premises, parks and all city owned property.

(B) This prohibition shall not apply to the following persons:

(1) Officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties as such and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms and weapons;

(2) Civil officers of the United States while in the discharge of their official duties;

(3) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the national guard when called into actual service;

(4) Animal Control Officers while in the discharge of their official duties;

(5) Sworn law enforcement officers.

(C) A conspicuous notice shall be posted at each entrance to any property set forth in division (A) above, stating:

"Possession of weapons or carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited."

(D) Any person in violation of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined $500 or imprisoned for six months, or both.

(E) This section is effective upon the posting of the notice in division (C) above.

(Ord. 95-43, passed 12-12-95)

Weak 9mm

imported post

(C) A conspicuous notice shall be posted at each entrance to any property set forth in division (A) above, stating:

'Possession of weapons or carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited.'

It seems to me that a street, unless there are signs posted at EVERY ENTRANCE TO THE STREET, is not eligible for this regulation then. I think you should certainly remember his words, lol.

Even if you only considered "legal" entrances rather than the almost literally infinite number of real "entrances," meaning pretty much anywhere along the side of a road, it would still take an unbelievable number of signs.

Copy this law and carry it with you after making sure it's up to date before you go through there again. The "city owned property" is not refering to public streets that I know of, it's usually talking about town hall or the police station or something. A public street should not quailify, and aren't many if not all of those state funded anyway?

ugly

imported post

I don't live there but just passing by and stop in a mom and pop's coffee house with me on my labtop sitting next to a very young cop maybe first day on the job and he saw that i was CC under my arm when i went for my wallet in my jacket, i do have my CCW permit but he did not ask for it just asking what kind of pistol and etc. and started telling me it's illegal allmost anywhere in this small town to carry! and told me to download the city ordinances from the city's website and he even download it for me!!!

http://www.ci.albemarle.nc.us/

looks like this rookie is doing alot of his home work??? idon't want to mess with small town LEO i might just not make it back out!!

jack

Banned
imported post

Actually I just went to the ordinance and after reading it would have to say it is in compliance with N.C. law. It doesn't attempt to ban open carry or licensed concealed carry. It just prohibits carrying a weapon with or without a license to conceal in City buildings. The ordinance actually requires it to be posted at the doors. Everywhere else you are fine. In N.C. local governments have very limited ability to regulate firearms, because of State preemption. They can't ban open carry (or concealed carry if you have a license), except on their property.

ugly

imported post

i think i just ran into those type LEO that thinks that only LEO should be arm!! and not the every day person which is within the 2A rights to bear arms, if my old man could only see it now?? he would of had giving that boy a beating and then started telling his war story and on and on he goes!