Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-gun public meeting @ Westfield HS Lecture Hall (28 FEB 7 PM); empty holsters + ammo, anyone?

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

UPDATE 20 FEB: Now Fairfax County is advertizing this meeting! http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/sully/n...Forumflier.pdf

---

http://ptsa.westfieldhs.org/programs...ier2-28-08.pdf

Let's plan on attending - the organizers have refused to invite pro-gun reps. I have personally put organizers and Jack Dale (Superintendant, Fairfax County public Schools) on notice that gun owners will be attending, securing their guns in vehicles ON CAMPUS, and bringing their ammunition into the school.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Paging Nakedshoplifter.

I wonder if they will shut down again if someone shows up to film.
    :celebrate

Post imported post

Sounds like another bloodpressure-raising time. I will try my best to be there. Just as a question, you're 100% sure mike that live ammunition doesn't trigger some other asinine rule about explosives (yeah, I know they aren't technically) or dangerous blahblah? In magazines is legal?
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

Mike, You need to warn people when you post links like that. I almost vomited on my computer when I read the National PTA's position on firearm.

National PTA opposes the manufacturing and/or ownership ofcertain semiautomatic assault weapons, Saturday night specials...

They forgot to add the part about being in favor of mandatory disarmed victim zones (schools) and prohibiting teachers and school staff from being able to defend themselves from criminals and/or terrorists.

Remember Beslan School No. 1! It can happen in the US.

Everybody who goes,put some signs on your backs like Guns Save Lives, Gun Free Zone = Criminals Free to Kill Zones, Armed Teachers = Safer Schools. VT Disarmed the Staff. 2.5 Million Defensive Uses Per Year.

That way when the press takes photos, we can hope that the signs will be in the shot.

Good luck, and don't forget to bring your cameras.

I'd also ask Fairfax Co. to station an armed officer in the parking lot so a thief does not decide to go shopping while the gun owners are inside and the guns are outside. Thieves are stealing catalytic converters with cordless industrial saws at metro stations. I'm sure they could cut even faster through a gun lock cable lock.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Paging Nakedshoplifter.

What I find odd is that Mr. Bob Ricker and the Sully station officer will be speaking at the school. These are the same two persons present at Centreville Library when they shut the meeting down because "It would be unfair to our speakers [for them to be videotaped]".

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I have steadfastly refused to join PTSA at my son's school for this reason. That, and the fact their grammar is atrocious. WHO "kills from a behavioral science perspective."? That's scary!

I may join for the remainder of the school year just in case they close it to nonmembers. $15 isn't too high an entry fee, IMHO.

It's on the calendar.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    I have steadfastly refused to join PTSA at my son's school for this reason. That, and the fact their grammar is atrocious. WHO "kills from a behavioral science perspective."? That's scary!

I may join for the remainder of the school year just in case they close it to nonmembers. $15 isn't too high an entry fee, IMHO.

It's on the calendar.
    The PDF say open to th community.

How long do you think it took them to find a place they could deny carry?

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    That, and the fact their grammar is atrocious. WHO "kills from a behavioral science perspective."? That's scary!
    They should have put a comma after "kills." Bad punctuation, not grammar. He's talking about how to recognize troubled kids from his own perspective, which happens to be one in behavioral science.

I attended Westfield HS. I was in the first class to go through all four grades. That school sucked...only redeeming quality was an Intro to Aerospace Engineering class, and even that started going downhill after only one year.

If it wasn't a Thursday, I'd try to make it. I'm in my last semester at VT, and it takes about 4 hours to get up there. Not gonna happen with my classes going until 6:15 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Post imported post

Tess, +1.

Still won't join PTSA, though.

Robert "Tricker" Ricker, the only positive argument I'm able to make for abortion.

Post imported post

sidestreet wrote:
    Tess, +1.

Still won't join PTSA, though.

Robert "Tricker" Ricker, the only positive argument I'm able to make for abortion.
    Umm... Sarah Brady? Hillary Clinton?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

And proper attire is empty holster, right?
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    Tess, you wouldn't, would you? I would consider driving up there just to participate.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

The PDF says they oppose the possession of non-powder firearms on school grounds. Doesn't that basically mean air guns, bb guns, etc? Isn't my Glock .40 a powder based firearm? Or are they referring to muzzle-loaded rifles, etc.?

Aside from the proposed waiting period, assault weapons and SNS guns, it sounds like they are not opposed to carrying regular firearms on school grounds. Am I reading it wrong? I'm on my 3rd or 4th beer here watching the news, but I think I'm reading correctly.

If I'm right, do you think it was a typo on their document?

Tim

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Tess wrote:
    Tess, you wouldn't, would you? I would consider driving up there just to participate.

Yata hey
    I most certainly would. I have this on my calendar.

Wouldn't be the first time I've worn empty holster in a high school, or on federal property.

Post imported post

Anyone else think it's hilarious that the president of the Richmond chapter of the Million Mom March is a guy? :celebrate
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    Anyone else think it's hilarious that the president of the Richmond chapter of the Million Mom March is a guy? :celebrate
    Million Girlymen's March ???

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    How can you be sure?

And if I remember correctly they are going "From a March to a Movement."
    I've always thought that they were a movement!

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    roscoe13 wrote:
    How can you be sure?
    Um, just read the PDF linked in the OP?

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    At least for a while the president of the DC chapter was male, also.

Something to do with them not being able to get enough women to show up, I think.

Post imported post

Sounds like fun. I noticed the odious Robert Ricker is scheduled as well. I'll look forward to wearing my NRA Endowment Member jacket.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    roscoe13 wrote:
    How can you be sure?

And if I remember correctly they are going "From a March to a Movement."
    I've always thought that they were a movement!*
    ...last thing I want to ever see or even think about is a million anybody's having a movement. *shudder*
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    longwatch wrote:
    Paging Nakedshoplifter.

What I find odd is that Mr. Bob Ricker and the Sully station officer will be speaking at the school. These are the same two persons present at Centreville Library when they shut the meeting down because "It would be unfair to our speakers [for them to be videotaped]".
    I hope you make a showing naked, I'd love to see the video and hear whatever it is they have to say. Remember, don't sign anything :^).

Post imported post

possumboy wrote:
    How long do you think it took them to find a place they could deny carry?
    Is a PTA meeting considered a school function. Because you can carry if it's not. I always took a school function to be school, afterschool game, or some other event where the "students" are there. Do many if any students attend a PTA meeting that it would legally be considered a school function???

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Is the PTA or any part of the meeting funded by public funds? Does the PTA pay anything to the school (like rent) for the use of the school for the meeting?

If so, I'd say it's pretty clearly not a school function. If the school district pays, subsidizes or in any other way contributes funds (including overtime work by employees) I'd seriously doubt you could make an argument that it's not a school function (otherwise there'd be a compelling argument that the school should not be spending money that way), and if you tried to argue it, it'd probably be in front of a judge after you were arrested...

Good luck!

Tim

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    Is a PTA meeting considered a school function. Because you can carry if it's not. I always took a school function to be school, afterschool game, or some other event where the "students" are there. Do many if any students attend a PTA meeting that it would legally be considered a school function???
    School function or not, you cannot carry on school property where K-12 classes are held.

And if it was off of school grounds, then they would have to have exclusive access to the grounds. They would have to deny access to anyone not attending the function.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast