• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-gun public meeting @ Westfield HS Lecture Hall (28 FEB 7 PM); empty holsters + ammo, anyone?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

UPDATE 20 FEB: Now Fairfax County is advertizing this meeting! http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/sully/newsletters/EducationalForumflier.pdf

---

http://ptsa.westfieldhs.org/programs/documents/Educational%20Forumflier2-28-08.pdf

Let's plan on attending - the organizers have refused to invite pro-gun reps. I have personally put organizers and Jack Dale (Superintendant, Fairfax County public Schools) on notice that gun owners will be attending, securing their guns in vehicles ON CAMPUS, and bringing their ammunition into the school.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Paging Nakedshoplifter.

I wonder if they will shut down again if someone shows up to film.
:celebrate

unrequited

imported post

Sounds like another bloodpressure-raising time. I will try my best to be there. Just as a question, you're 100% sure mike that live ammunition doesn't trigger some other asinine rule about explosives (yeah, I know they aren't technically) or dangerous blahblah? In magazines is legal?

XD Owner

imported post

Mike, You need to warn people when you post links like that. I almost vomited on my computer when I read the National PTA's position on firearm.

National PTA opposes the manufacturing and/or ownership ofcertain semiautomatic assault weapons, Saturday night specials...

They forgot to add the part about being in favor of mandatory disarmed victim zones (schools) and prohibiting teachers and school staff from being able to defend themselves from criminals and/or terrorists.

Remember Beslan School No. 1! It can happen in the US.

Everybody who goes,put some signs on your backs like Guns Save Lives, Gun Free Zone = Criminals Free to Kill Zones, Armed Teachers = Safer Schools. VT Disarmed the Staff. 2.5 Million Defensive Uses Per Year.

That way when the press takes photos, we can hope that the signs will be in the shot.

Good luck, and don't forget to bring your cameras.

I'd also ask Fairfax Co. to station an armed officer in the parking lot so a thief does not decide to go shopping while the gun owners are inside and the guns are outside. Thieves are stealing catalytic converters with cordless industrial saws at metro stations. I'm sure they could cut even faster through a gun lock cable lock.

IanB

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Paging Nakedshoplifter.

I wonder if they will shut down again if someone shows up to film.
:celebrate

What I find odd is that Mr. Bob Ricker and the Sully station officer will be speaking at the school. These are the same two persons present at Centreville Library when they shut the meeting down because "It would be unfair to our speakers [for them to be videotaped]".

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have steadfastly refused to join PTSA at my son's school for this reason. That, and the fact their grammar is atrocious. WHO "kills from a behavioral science perspective."? That's scary!

I may join for the remainder of the school year just in case they close it to nonmembers. $15 isn't too high an entry fee, IMHO.

It's on the calendar.

possumboy

imported post

Tess wrote:
I have steadfastly refused to join PTSA at my son's school for this reason. That, and the fact their grammar is atrocious. WHO "kills from a behavioral science perspective."? That's scary!

I may join for the remainder of the school year just in case they close it to nonmembers. $15 isn't too high an entry fee, IMHO.

It's on the calendar.

The PDF say open to th community.

How long do you think it took them to find a place they could deny carry?

cmbf117

imported post

Tess wrote:
That, and the fact their grammar is atrocious. WHO "kills from a behavioral science perspective."? That's scary!
They should have put a comma after "kills." Bad punctuation, not grammar. He's talking about how to recognize troubled kids from his own perspective, which happens to be one in behavioral science.

I attended Westfield HS. I was in the first class to go through all four grades. That school sucked...only redeeming quality was an Intro to Aerospace Engineering class, and even that started going downhill after only one year.

If it wasn't a Thursday, I'd try to make it. I'm in my last semester at VT, and it takes about 4 hours to get up there. Not gonna happen with my classes going until 6:15 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

sidestreet

imported post

Tess, +1.

Still won't join PTSA, though.

Robert "Tricker" Ricker, the only positive argument I'm able to make for abortion.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tess wrote:
And proper attire is empty holster, right?
Tess, you wouldn't, would you? I would consider driving up there just to participate.

Yata hey

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The PDF says they oppose the possession of non-powder firearms on school grounds. Doesn't that basically mean air guns, bb guns, etc? Isn't my Glock .40 a powder based firearm? Or are they referring to muzzle-loaded rifles, etc.?

Aside from the proposed waiting period, assault weapons and SNS guns, it sounds like they are not opposed to carrying regular firearms on school grounds. Am I reading it wrong? I'm on my 3rd or 4th beer here watching the news, but I think I'm reading correctly.

If I'm right, do you think it was a typo on their document?

Tim

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Tess wrote:
And proper attire is empty holster, right?
Tess, you wouldn't, would you? I would consider driving up there just to participate.

Yata hey
I most certainly would. I have this on my calendar.

Wouldn't be the first time I've worn empty holster in a high school, or on federal property.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Anyone else think it's hilarious that the president of the Richmond chapter of the Million Mom March is a guy? :celebrate
How can you be sure?

And if I remember correctly they are going "From a March to a Movement."
I've always thought that they were a movement! :lol:

Yata hey

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Anyone else think it's hilarious that the president of the Richmond chapter of the Million Mom March is a guy? :celebrate

At least for a while the president of the DC chapter was male, also.

Something to do with them not being able to get enough women to show up, I think.;)

Goaltender66

imported post

Sounds like fun. I noticed the odious Robert Ricker is scheduled as well. I'll look forward to wearing my NRA Endowment Member jacket.