• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-gun public meeting @ Westfield HS Lecture Hall (28 FEB 7 PM); empty holsters + ammo, anyone?

unrequited

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
Anyone else think it's hilarious that the president of the Richmond chapter of the Million Mom March is a guy? :celebrate
How can you be sure?

And if I remember correctly they are going "From a March to a Movement."
I've always thought that they were a movement!  :lol:
...last thing I want to ever see or even think about is a million anybody's having a movement. *shudder*

Neplusultra

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Paging Nakedshoplifter.

I wonder if they will shut down again if someone shows up to film.
:celebrate

What I find odd is that Mr. Bob Ricker and the Sully station officer will be speaking at the school. These are the same two persons present at Centreville Library when they shut the meeting down because "It would be unfair to our speakers [for them to be videotaped]".
I hope you make a showing naked, I'd love to see the video and hear whatever it is they have to say. Remember, don't sign anything :^).

Neplusultra

imported post

possumboy wrote:
How long do you think it took them to find a place they could deny carry?
Is a PTA meeting considered a school function. Because you can carry if it's not. I always took a school function to be school, afterschool game, or some other event where the "students" are there. Do many if any students attend a PTA meeting that it would legally be considered a school function???

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Is the PTA or any part of the meeting funded by public funds? Does the PTA pay anything to the school (like rent) for the use of the school for the meeting?

If so, I'd say it's pretty clearly not a school function. If the school district pays, subsidizes or in any other way contributes funds (including overtime work by employees) I'd seriously doubt you could make an argument that it's not a school function (otherwise there'd be a compelling argument that the school should not be spending money that way), and if you tried to argue it, it'd probably be in front of a judge after you were arrested...

Good luck!

Tim

possumboy

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Is a PTA meeting considered a school function. Because you can carry if it's not. I always took a school function to be school, afterschool game, or some other event where the "students" are there. Do many if any students attend a PTA meeting that it would legally be considered a school function???

School function or not, you cannot carry on school property where K-12 classes are held.

And if it was off of school grounds, then they would have to have exclusive access to the grounds. They would have to deny access to anyone not attending the function.

bohdi

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Paging Nakedshoplifter.

I wonder if they will shut down again if someone shows up to film.
:celebrate

What I find odd is that Mr. Bob Ricker and the Sully station officer will be speaking at the school. These are the same two persons present at Centreville Library when they shut the meeting down because "It would be unfair to our speakers [for them to be videotaped]".
I'd like to see them pull the "unfair to our speakers" crap again considering as a tax payer in Fairfax County my dollars go to directly support the School Resource Officer fund, the fund that pays for the School ResourceOfficerthat will be at this next event, just like at the last event at the Centreville Library thatMr. Ricker decided not to speak at. If that's the case, only Mr. Ricker should have tight lips, all the other speakers ought to let their tongues fly loosely. I will be there to silently observe, as it is a public meeting. Perhaps during the Q/A I might ask a question.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

UPDATE - communication from meeting organizer received Feb. 11, 2008 confirming that (1) members of the community are invited, (2) serving notice that the event will be held in a victim disarmament zone, and (3) that the PTSA is virulently anti-gun. The text below is exactly as received, including the emphasis and blue font.
--

Subject: Educational Forum on Prevention of Gun Violence
Date: 2/11/2008 11:47:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
CC: Jack.Dale@fcps.edu, Schoolboardmembers@fcps.edu

Mr. Stollenwerk-

In response to your emails from 1/30/08 and 2/08/08, the Westfield PTSA is remaining with the National PTA position on gun safety which reads:

Firearms
Due to the increasing ease of access to firearms and increase in firearm-related deaths, PTAs are encouraged to alert parents and communities to the harm of handgun violence, and to collaborate with other groups concerned with gun violence. National PTA supports a waiting period for the purchase of any firearm and opposes the manufacturing and/or ownership of certain semiautomatic assault weapons, look-alike weapons, and Saturday Night Specials, and opposes the possession of non-powder firearms on school grounds.

Non-profit organizations are encouraged to provide education on issues of importance to the community. We are hosting an educational forum on February 28, not a debate. Regardless of that, Robert Ricker, Executive Director of the American Hunters and Shooters Association, and former NRA counsel is on the panel. When asked about this issue, he described himself as, "pro-gun."

The PTSA is a volunteer organization, and like many other non-profits, can request to use a school as a meeting place. We work with, and for the benefit of schools, but are not under their control. We are having a public forum, which is open to all community members regardless of where they work.

I am confident that, along with Dr. Dale's answer to your question of citizen gun carry at the event, that your questions are answered.

Jennifer Campbell

Westfield High School PTSA President

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I will make the drive up there and volunteer to stay in my vehicle, in the parking lot and watch over everybody's vehicles.

Maybe we could eachtake a shift so everybody gets a chance to attend.

As long as you have a radio station that broadcasts The Savage Nation, I'll be fine.l

nova

imported post

If I'm free I may take a ride over, and see how things play out :)

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

XD Owner wrote:
I'd also ask Fairfax Co. to station an armed officer in the parking lot so a thief does not decide to go shopping while the gun owners are inside and the guns are outside. Thieves are stealing catalytic converters with cordless industrial saws at metro stations. I'm sure they could cut even faster through a gun lock cable lock.

I will make the drive up there and volunteer to stay in my vehicle, in the parking lot and watch over everybody's vehicles.

Maybe we could eachtake a shift so everybody gets a chance to attend.

As long as you have a radio station that broadcasts The Savage Nation, I'll be fine.l

les_aker

imported post

Mike wrote:
Non-profit organizations are encouraged to provide education on issues of importance to the community. We are hosting an educational forum on February 28, not a debate. Regardless of that, Robert Ricker, Executive Director of the American Hunters and Shooters Association, and former NRA counsel is on the panel. When asked about this issue, he described himself as, "pro-gun."
Does that mean that if some of us described ourselves as "anti-gun" that we can join the panel of speakers?

Neplusultra

imported post

les_aker wrote:
Mike wrote:
Does that mean that if some of us described ourselves as "anti-gun" that we can join the panel of speakers?
I'm definately anti-gun. I believe all guns that don't start with a 4 should be banned :^)!

bohdi

imported post

"We are hosting an educational forum on February 28, not a debate." - We are coming to give speeches and deliver falsities to the general population, we will not offer anyone to question us publicly while we offer these positions.

Due to the increasing ease of access to firearms and increase in firearm-related deaths, PTAs are encouraged to alert parents and communities to the harm of handgun violence, and to collaborate with other groups concerned with gun violence.

That's all fine and good, but they are missing the point. If they are truely concerned about the ease of access to firearms, they ought to take steps to inform the local population that unsecured firearms in their homes are a problem. Unsecured, unlocked firearms that you as an adult purchased, are a danger to your household, and your community. If you own a firearm, and you aren't in the area, lock it up. That should be their message about "ease of access", not the drivel they will spew that night. It's going to be a riot.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"We are coming to give speeches and deliver falsities to the general population, we will not offer anyone to question us publicly while we offer these positions."

Deliver falsities - that sounds pretty accurate. I bet they will deliver a lot of falsities.

"We will not offer anyone to question us" Whatever you say comrade.

I think a big presence on our side will still throw a monkey wrench in their gears.

bohdi

imported post

I'm just reading between the lines T Dubya, that's all. We don't need numbers for this, we just need one man, with one camera, lol. That's been proven.

Besides,no one should be going to this event to protest, I say let them speak. I want to hear what they say, I want to be educated on issues of importance to my community.

Neplusultra

imported post

bohdi wrote:
I'm just reading between the lines T Dubya, that's all. We don't need numbers for this, we just need one man, with one camera, lol. That's been proven.

Besides,no one should be going to this event to protest, I say let them speak. I want to hear what they say, I want to be educated on issues of importance to my community.
This is the correct attitude, IMO. It's their event. Take video, ask respectful questions, be unappologetic. Can't wait to see the results :^).

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
bohdi wrote:

This is the correct attitude, IMO. It's their event. Take video, ask respectful questions, be unappologetic. Can't wait to see the results :^).

I understand your points of view. I can understand not going to protest; Although they would do the same to us.

I respectfully disagree about not having big numbers. I think as many of us as possible should look these anti-gunners in the eye and always make our presence known.

I take great offense to themgrandstanding on the deaths of those poor dis-armed citizens in "gun-free zones" to advance their warped, and flawed anti-gun agenda.

"Always take the offensive...Never Dig in."

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr

bohdi

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
I understand your points of view. I can understand not going to protest; Although they would do the same to us.

I respectfully disagree about not having big numbers. I think as many of us as possible should look these anti-gunners in the eye and always make our presence known.

I take great offense to themgrandstanding on the deaths of those poor dis-armed citizens in "gun-free zones" to advance their warped, and flawed anti-gun agenda.

It's alright to disagree with me sir, I don't mind. I've noticed that you've a fairly low post count, which either means your new here (WELCOME ABOARD) or you've been in the shadows for a while. Either way what was accomplished at Centreville Library (hint search the VA form for Centreville Libarary for details) last summer is a good example (not that anyone was trying to protest or shut that event down - youtube is proof of that) of what one camera can do.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from going and attending, and especially think it's important for people who's kids that will be attending Westfields High (like myself) ought to go and hear what the PTA is saying. All I'm saying is that no one should "protest". That's all. Just don't "protest". :D