• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No OC at Cabela's

HMDGLOCK

imported post

I was confronted and asked to conceal my gun tonight at Cabela's in Hammond. Then asked to leave. This is how it happened.

I made a trip out to Cabela's with two friends of mine because I needed to pick up some gun cleaner, ammo, and a couple of shirts. I was done shopping when one of my friends said lets go check out the new F-150 in the store. We were looking at the truck when a worker came up to me and asked me to cover my weapon. I said no. This is how the conversation went.

Cabela worker: I asked you nicelyplease, cover yourgun.

Me: No, I know thepolicy of Cabelas and they followwhat ever thestate law is. Open carry is legal.

Cabela worker:Then I will getmy Manger.

Me: Please, I would like to speak to him

Then a man walks up to me flashing a badge saying that I must conceal my weaponbecause it is store policy. Itis stated on the door.

Me: The sign does not say that, I read it before I walked in.

Security: You are scaring the costumers.

Me: I do not feel I am scaring anybody and I will not conceal my gun until I see the signthat says you can not open carry.

He takes me to the sign and it does not say that you can not open carry. Then the security guard says the signs are going to be changed. I asked to speak to the manger.

Manger: What is the problem sir.

Me: I was told that I can not open carry in your store and I know Cabela's policy that it follows what ever the state says.

Manger: Well we care about our costumers and you are scaring them. How would you feel if three guys are walking around, one with a gun.

Me: I could feel something but it is his right to carry his gun how ever he wants.

Security: Well would you carry a gun like that into a post office or bank.

Me: A post office no, A bank, yes. But what does that have to do with anything.

Manger: You will have to conceal your gun when you come into my store. Please purchase your items and leave.

Me: No, you can keep your items. I will shop somewhere else.

Then the security Guard and the manger began to laugh as they walked away.

I can not believe this happened. From what I have read Cabela's is for whatever the state says you can do. I can not believe that I was treated like that. For them to laugh at me. That really makes me mad. I have spent over 1,200 dollars there since they have opened and I was asked to leave. The gun that I was packing was a XD-40, a gun i bought from that store.

I called the number (1-800-905-2731)that was on the e-mail that Prometheus received but was not much help. The lady took my name and said she would pass it on. So I know that nothing is going to come about that. I really need to get a hold of Becky.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

HMDGLOCK wrote:
I was confronted and asked to conceal my gun tonight at Cabela's in Hammond. Then asked to leave. This is how it happened.

I made a trip out to Cabela's with two friends of mine because I needed to pick up some gun cleaner, ammo, and a couple of shirts. I was done shopping when one of my friends said lets go check out the new F-150 in the store. We were looking at the truck when a worker came up to me and asked me to cover my weapon. I said no. This is how the conversation went.

Me: No, I know thepolicy of Cabelas and they followwhat ever thestate law is. Open carry is legal.

Then a man walks up to me flashing a badge saying that I must conceal my weaponbecause it is store policy. Itis stated on the door.

Me: I do not feel I am scaring anybody and I will not conceal my gun until I see the signthat says you can not open carry.

He takes me to the sign and it does not say that you can not open carry. Then the security guard says the signs are going to be changed. I asked to speak to the manger.

Me: I was told that I can not open carry in your store and I know Cabela's policy that it follows what ever the state says.

Manger: Well we care about our costumers and you are scaring them. How would you feel if three guys are walking around, one with a gun.

Me: I could feel something but it is his right to carry his gun how ever he wants.

Manger: You will have to conceal your gun when you come into my store. Please purchase your items and leave.

I can not believe this happened. From what I have read Cabela's is for whatever the state says you can do. I can not believe that I was treated like that. For them to laugh at me. That really makes me mad. I have spent over 1,200 dollars there since they have opened and I was asked to leave. The gun that I was packing was a XD-40, a gun i bought from that store.

I called the number (1-800-905-3731)that was on the e-mail that Prometheus received but was not much help. The lady took my name and said she would pass it on. So I know that nothing is going to come about that. I really need to get a hold of Becky.

Hey did you call 1-800-905-2731 ???

Did you get the name of the "manager" and the "security" guard. BTW the security guard was probably jealous that he could not carry. Give me the names, the location and the number to the store and I will call for you.

Cabelas DOES follow state law and the "manager" is just making up his own policy as he goes.

I don't know how often I have OC'ed @ the Cabelas in Lehi,Ut. I have lost count. Every time I spend no less than 30 min and always one way or the other I manage to speak to an associate and never get told not to OC. I spend alot of time over at the gun counter too.

Every now and then I manage to sit down and even have one of their delicious Buffalo Sandwich.

Don't let them scare you. Just go back.

Here is and E-mail from Becky,

Good Afternoon Mike

Thank you for the recent email. I am very sorry for the confusion that took place at our retail location. Our corporate office has taken action in regards to the below mentioned issue and here is what has been decided. We have made the decision to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's.

If you are still having problems please feel free to let us know

Thanks again

Becky
Lead Associate
Cabela's Retail Information
1-800-905-2731
retail.contactgroup@[highlight= #ffff88]cabelas[/highlight].com
Print this and go back.

If you wanna call me I will PM you my cell #, K?

TJ

Skippy

imported post

I believe I will also call them and make it clear that I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

You know, regardless of whether the manager was in the right or not, it's extremely bad business to laugh at your customers as you walk away from them. There are plenty of other places that are very interested in my money and are willing to treat me with respect.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
HMDGLOCK wrote:

I called the number (1-800-905-3731)that was on the e-mail that Prometheus received but was not much help. The lady took my name and said she would pass it on. So I know that nothing is going to come about that. I really need to get a hold of Becky.

Did you get the name of the "manager" and the "security" guard. BTW the security guard was probably jealous that he could not carry. Give me the names, the location and the number to the store and I will call for you.

Cabelas DOES follow state law and the "manager" is just making up his own policy as he goes.

I don't know how often I have OC'ed @ the Cabelas in Lehi,Ut. I have lost count. Every time I spend no less than 30 min and always one way or the other I manage to speak to an associate and never get told not to OC. I spend alot of time over at the gun counter too.

Every now and then I manage to sit down and even have one of their delicious Buffalo Sandwich.

Good Afternoon Mike

Thank you for the recent email. I am very sorry for the confusion that took place at our retail location. Our corporate office has taken action in regards to the below mentioned issue and here is what has been decided. We have made the decision to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's.

Thanks again

Becky
Lead Associate
1-800-905-2731
retail.contactgroup@[highlight= #ffff88]cabelas.com
Print this and go back.

TJ

I just sent an E-mail of to Cabelas. Might not be the best one but I did it anyways.

Here it is,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Becky, ( or to whom it may concern),

My name is Travis and I have a concern about Managers NOT being on the same page whenit comes to a customers carrying a Firearm in "Their" location.

From what I understand is that Cabelas complies with State AND Federal Law when it comes to Open Carry and Conceal Carry a Firearm at ANY Cabelas location.

There are ALOT of Customers that knows of the Policy and when going to a location being asked to either disarm or EVEN leave the premises.

Last year in about July there was an E-mail that was sent by the Lead Associate Becky to person who is part of www.opencarry.org where we report ANY, wether good or bad, incident. If you wish to read all about it...go to www.opencarry.org and in the search engine put Cabelas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Afternoon Mike

Thanks again

Becky
Lead Associate
1-800-905-2731
retail.contactgroup@[highlight= #ffff88]cabelas[/highlight].com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Would PLEASE like to have FURTHER clarification from Cabelas concerning this policy wether by E-mail but IF possible by regular USPS as well.

I could even be contacted by Ph.

My address and Ph # is

Travis J Wyatt Deveraux

XXXXWXXXX S

West Valley City

Utah 84119

Cell # is (801) XXX-XXXX.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

TJ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If and when I get a response I will share it here

Beau

imported post

I think an OC outing to Cabelas in Hammond is in order. I might even make the drive up there to participate. Kinda a hike from Greenwood.

Prometheus

imported post

I can't believe that. You ran into an ignorant manager. I thought I had cleared this up the first month they opened.

Brian (last name escapse me at the moment) the "Floor Manager" called corporate, gave open carry the go ahead and assured me he would bring it up at the next staff meeting so everyone was on the same page.

Cabelas has great customer service HMDglock, I'm certain they will return your call.

What are you doing Monday afternoon around 3-4? I'm going to OC into Cabelas (provided I'm out of work on time) and see if they say anything. Like before I'll demand they call corporate (have the number on hand). There is no excuse for what happened to you.

I'd do it tomorrow but no one from corporate will be in to take the call live.

HMDGLOCK

imported post

The managers name was Brain Decker. The security guards name was Jeff. Unable to get his last name. I would go with you on Monday, but I coach a basketball team at a local school. We have a game that Monday. Sorry, otherwise I would. I really hope they call me back.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
HMDGLOCK wrote:

Good Afternoon Mike

Thanks again

Becky
Lead Associate
1-800-905-2731
Print this and go back.

TJ

I just sent an E-mail of to Cabelas. Might not be the best one but I did it anyways.

Here it is,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Becky, ( or to whom it may concern),

My name is Travis and I have a concern about Managers NOT being on the same page whenit comes to a customers carrying a Firearm in "Their" location.

From what I understand is that Cabelas complies with State AND Federal Law when it comes to Open Carry and Conceal Carry a Firearm at ANY Cabelas location.

There are ALOT of Customers that knows of the Policy and when going to a location being asked to either disarm or EVEN leave the premises.

Last year in about July there was an E-mail that was sent by the Lead Associate Becky to person who is part of http://www.opencarry.org where we report ANY, wether good or bad, incident. If you wish to read all about it...go to http://www.opencarry.org and in the search engine put Cabelas.

Good Afternoon Mike

Thanks again

Becky
Lead Associate
1-800-905-2731

I Would PLEASE like to have FURTHER clarification from Cabelas concerning this policy wether by E-mail but IF possible by regular USPS as well.

I could even be contacted by Ph.

My address and Ph # is

Travis J Wyatt Deveraux

XXXXWXXXX S

West Valley City

Utah 84119

Cell # is (801) XXX-XXXX.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

TJ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If and when I get a response I will share it here

I spoke with Brian today and he is aware now that Cabelas follows State and Federal Law.

Carry on boys:celebrate,

TJ

Prometheus

imported post

HMDGLOCK wrote:
The managers name was Brain Decker. The security guards name was Jeff. Unable to get his last name. I would go with you on Monday, but I coach a basketball team at a local school. We have a game that Monday. Sorry, otherwise I would. I really hope they call me back.

Unless they have two managers named Brian, he already knew... I can't find the guys card and I still can't recall his last name. I'd know him if I see him again...

I'm curious if it is the same one.. if so he'll have some explaining to do since he was knowingly violating policy corporate policy. Interesting indeed.

Skippy

imported post

If it is, in fact, the same manager, a simple apology is insufficient. he's already shown on two separate occasions now his disdain for both corporate policy and state law. Unless some consequence is brought to bear against this person, I will not shop there again. Period.

An apology means you actually regret doing something. If you then turn around and do it again, any further apology is meaningless and should be taken for the lie that it is.

Prometheus

imported post

My wife and I both OC'ed thru cabelas today, perused the gun counter, gun library, let my 3 year old shoot at the shooting gallery... not a word from anyone about the sidearms.

Sales ppl at the gun counter said hello, asked if we wanted to see anything... very pleasant experience.

We then went to target in munster to shop for a few things, my wife took off her jacket and OC'ed thru (I left mine on), even got some help at the video game counter. Not a problem there as well.

We were both carrying service model Springfield XD 9's (bi-tones there are impossible not to notice), mine in a serpa with a fobus dual mag holster on the other hip and my wife with just the paddle on her hip, no spares.

FWIW If you want to meet up we can try an OC lunch again at Cabelas this Saturday, my wife and I are up for it if anyone else is.

squarepeg

imported post

Prometheus wrote:
FWIW If you want to meet up we can try an OC lunch again at Cabelas this Saturday, my wife and I are up for it if anyone else is.
Well I don't have a carriable gun or a licence, yet, but I would be interested in meeting up with a face or two from the internet.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

see the Idaho thread for when this issue was first brought up and successfully changed at the corporate level.

Call corporate and get them to "straighten out" the manager. Do it nicely of course, but don't tollerate a little tyrant's (local manager's) personal views.

Good luck!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I guess this goes to show that we can never let our guard down. Just when you think we can chalk one up for the good guys, you end up having to address the issue again. But I'm glad you got it straightened out. Maybe more frequent and more numerous OCers is in order to get them used to seeing OCers exercising their rights.

Skippy

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I guess this goes to show that we can never let our guard down. Just when you think we can chalk one up for the good guys, you end up having to address the issue again. But I'm glad you got it straightened out. Maybe more frequent and more numerous OCers is in order to get them used to seeing OCers exercising their rights.
It's not straightened out at all. All we know is that one person OC'd at the store since the incident. As far as we know, there's still a rogue store manager working there who could decide at any time to impose his personal opinion on the issue.

Unoid

imported post

I'll make a point to go to Cabellas soon and OC. I think I'll print out the letter from becky and ask is Brian the "manager" is there, and I'll make him reassure me he knows corporate policy...

If he give sme gruff I'll do ym best to go to his office with him and have HIM contact corporate and make sure he understands.

Wish I had a hidden video camera :)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

HMDGLOCK wrote:
How many times do we have to remind everybody NOT to freakin' ask that a store be posted??!!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Unoid wrote:
I'll make a point to go to Cabellas soon and OC. I think I'll print out the letter from becky and ask is Brian the "manager" is there, and I'll make him reassure me he knows corporate policy...

If he give sme gruff I'll do ym best to go to his office with him and have HIM contact corporate and make sure he understands.

Wish I had a hidden video camera :)
BTW, yesterday we were 6 people + kids at Cabels. We sat down and ate after that we did a walk thru the store and had some fun. We were there about 1.5 - 2 hours. Great fun.

This was the Cabelas in Lehi, Ut

TJ