• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McCain visiting Museum in Virginia

possumboy

imported post

OC WHAT: Possible OC op in front of McCain

OC WHEN/WHERE:

Virginia Campaign Rally, Richmond

Event What:
Event When:
February 11, 2008 5:30 p.m.
Event Where:
Richmond International Airport
5701 Huntsman Road
Richmond, VA

John McCain returns to Virginia for a Campaign Rally at the Virginia Aviation Museum on Monday, February 11th at 5:30 p.m. Senator John Warner will introduce John McCain.

Here is the link to the Virginia Aviation Museum: http://vam.smv.org/default.asp.

After poking around, I found that they hire through the state, which makes it look like it is State run.

OC WHY: Lets see how this candidate accepts our rights!

Does anyone have more information on the Museum and if it is state owned?

References: http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Calendar/Detail.aspx?guid=c037c81a-9f86-46e5-9b87-a3b5c2da21be

http://vam.smv.org/default.asp

acrimsontide

imported post

possumboy wrote:

Probably won't find out how Senator McCain feels but will likely find out that his Secret Service detail will not allow weapons in his presence!!! I'm sure they will say it is not allowed.

Thundar

imported post

acrimsontide wrote:
possumboy wrote:

Probably won't find out how Senator McCain feels but will likely find out that his Secret Service detail will not allow weapons in his presence!!! I'm sure they will say it is not allowed.
Under what authority?

acrimsontide

imported post

Thundar wrote:
acrimsontide wrote:
possumboy wrote:

Under what authority?

Thundar, I won't continue to debate this with you. You have your opinion and I have mine. No need for us to continue with this exchange of what will or what should happen. I will address your last question, "under what authority" and then I'm done with this as it could go on forever.

As to "under what authority" I don't have the legal answer to that question but once someone attends an event such as this with a firearm, we will probably get the answer when we read the formal charges in the media.

kenny

imported post

The property is state owned and the employees are state employees. The hanger being used in the same hanger used in recent visits by the current POTUS. It is a very secure building and YOU will pass through a metal detector. A POTUS visit supercedes all currents laws, regulations, administrative codes/rules.

Go ahead and try to get in. It is not worth getting your name on the list. Of course it maymake for a colorful story to your future friends and family. At best you might get as close to one thousand feet. Keep an eye on top of thetower, the guy with the rifle will haveyou in his sights.I'm told they have heat seeking sights.

mobeewan

imported post

possumboy wrote:
OC WHAT: Possible OC op in front of McCain

OC WHEN/WHERE:

Event What:
Event When:
February 11, 2008 5:30 p.m.
Event Where:
Richmond International Airport
5701 Huntsman Road
Richmond, VA

John McCain returns to Virginia for a Campaign Rally at the Virginia Aviation Museum on Monday, February 11th at 5:30 p.m. Senator John Warner will introduce John McCain.

Here is the link to the Virginia Aviation Museum: http://vam.smv.org/default.asp.

After poking around, I found that they hire through the state, which makes it look like it is State run.

Does anyone have more information on the Museum and if it is state owned?

References: http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Calendar/Detail.aspx?guid=c037c81a-9f86-46e5-9b87-a3b5c2da21be

http://vam.smv.org/default.asp
My daddy told me once that some people may know a lot about the law and what is legal, but have absolutely no common sense when applying it.

possumboy

imported post

kenny wrote:
The property is state owned and the employees are state employees. The hanger being used in the same hanger used in recent visits by the current POTUS. It is a very secure building and YOU will pass through a metal detector. A POTUS visit supercedes all currents laws, regulations, administrative codes/rules.

Go ahead and try to get in. It is not worth getting your name on the list. Of course it maymake for a colorful story to your future friends and family. At best you might get as close to one thousand feet. Keep an eye on top of thetower, the guy with the rifle will haveyou in his sights.I'm told they have heat seeking sights.

So, if it is "secure" do they prevent people from carrying without a POTUS/Candidate visit? Being stated owned, is there code that prevents someone from legally carrying there? Is there a requirement to carry concealed - is it treated as a state park?

Also, where is the code that authorizes the removal of all current rights granted by the state?

possumboy

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
My daddy told me once that some people may know a lot about the law and what is legal, but have absolutely no common sense when applying it.

How does it apply to the question? What is the point of this?

That "sensible" gun laws are acceptable?

steveforopen

imported post

I, for one, am thrilled to hear how this will (non)-turn out.

Frankly, I am extremely interested to know how the Secret Service can create its own law-bubble wherever it goes. The state of Virginia should be free from the excessive regulations imposed by agents of the Federal Government at their whimsy.

However, I think there are more keen ways to go about finding out the law such as research, asking questions, etc. than a true challenge in this respect.

I would not be willing to put my life on the line to find out -- just to find an over-diligiant new Secret Service agent looking to make his name in history by offing McCain's "potential assasin" before he can make his move :shock: You know what I mean.

Totally not worth the hassle regardless of what happens. But hey, Darwin works in mysterious ways so all takers can have it. :dude:

doug23838

imported post

I'd bet the visit of a Presidential candidate is considered a "National Security Special Event," which as others have pointed out would trump other local or state laws.

Agree with it? No.

But there's only one way to counter things like that. Get about 200 OC guys to show up there and swarm the event. Which would likely cause an evac of the candidate to a safer zone.

Yall let me know how it turns out. I'll be here at the house.

kenny

imported post

Since the airport has its own government and police force, I suspect the airport exemption will apply. I've never tested it. Whenever I am there my sidearm is always secured in a lockable box enclosed in a suit case. I'm sure it would make for interesting reading if someone would test it.

TheEggman

imported post

Whether they are technically 'allowed to' or not, the US Secret Service can and will prevent 'ordinary citizens' from bringing weapons into their protection perimeter.

They have ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE OF HUMOR about this, and it's not a good place to test how far you can push your rights.

JMHO

E

acrimsontide

imported post

TheEggman wrote:
Whether they are technically 'allowed to' or not, the US Secret Service can and will prevent 'ordinary citizens' from bringing weapons into their protection perimeter.

They have ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE OF HUMOR about this, and it's not a good place to test how far you can push your rights.

JMHO

E
+10

vt357

imported post

I seem to remember reading a post somewhere about open carrying to a Ron Paul speach. I can't seem to remember which forum though. The guy was initially hassled by security but then someone higher up let the guy in. He shook hands with RP while OCing. But then again, that was RP and not McCain. If I find the post I will edit for link.

Edit: Ah here we go

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/7603.html

mobeewan

imported post

possumboy wrote:
mobeewan wrote:

How does it apply to the question? What is the point of this?

That "sensible" gun laws are acceptable?

The point I was trying to make is that it is not too bright to carry firearms around presidential candidates. The secret service does not find it too cool and you may get your ass shot off. Ever hear of Arthur Bremer or Sirhan Sirhan.

Spectre

imported post

steveforopen wrote:
I would not be willing to put my life on the line to find out -- just to find an over-diligiant new Secret Service agent looking to make his name in history by offing McCain's "potential assasin" before he can make his move :shock: You know what I mean.

Ditto! Especially seeing as how the Secret Service now carries FN 5.7's as their sidearm. Nasty little gun.:shock: