• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TX - Burglar shot through the door, don't leave it up to the parents.

PT111

imported post

http://www.terrelltribune.com/articles/2008/01/24/news/news02.txt
An elderly couple remains shaken by a Monday incident where seven people threatened to kill them as they tried to break through the couple's front door - to the homeowner's son shooting through the door as it was coming off the hinges.

“We don't want any trouble,” said Shirley Ashby, 67, who has lived in the home her entire life. “We don't know what brought this on.”

Four people are being held on $50,000 bonds in the Kaufman County Law Enforcement Center in connection with the incident on the 1300 block of County Road 319. One was shot in the right foot during the attempted thief.

According to Kaufman County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Bryan Francis, Glen Lilly, 18 of Terrell; Candace Beam, 20, of Terrell; Jonathon Emory, 18, of Terrell; and Lloyd Gipson, 36, of Forney were arraigned Wednesday morning and are charged with attempted burglary with intent to commit another felony.

A warrant was issued for a 31-year-old Hunt County woman in connection with the attempted burglary. Two other suspects are at large.

Francis said the homeowners called 911 at approximately 10 p.m. Monday when a group tried to break in. The family was watching television when they heard a commotion outside.

As the door was coming down, the homeowner's son, Don Ashby, grabbed a shotgun and shot through the bottom of the door striking Lily in the right foot.

“I didn't know anybody had been shot,” Ashby said.

After the shooting, Ashby got a call from Lily's mother who reportedly told him she didn't appreciate him shooting her son.

Shirley Ashby told the teen's mother she was sorry, but that the man shouldn't have been trying to break into their home.

“They were screaming they were going to kill us,” Ashby said. “I'm so sorry I hurt another human being, but I was protecting my family.”

Trying to break in a house and the mother tellshim she doesn't appreciate him shooting her son. I dount that they appreciated him breaking down their door.

Beau

imported post

PT111 wrote:
After the shooting, Ashby got a call from Lily's mother who reportedly told him she didn't appreciate him shooting her son.

Trying to break in a house and the mother tellshim she doesn't appreciate him shooting her son. I dount that they appreciated him breaking down their door.
Once again the criminal commiting the crime is now the victim. Not the person who the crime was being commited against.

acrimsontide

imported post

I hope the Castle Doctrine in Texas prevents all civil liability!! Otherwise the "caring mother" of the burglar would sue the homeowners.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Those 7 people were very lucky indeed that he didn't pump several rounds through the door at chest level.

edit: I agree with Crimsontide, too.

imperialism2024

imported post

Anyone else concerned that the son shot through a door? Or are we too busy patting ourselves on the back about how macho it is to shoot people?

There are few instances where shooting through a door is justified. From the facts we have, this isn't one of them. "Warning shots" are best left to the movies. If the door was breached, by all means the son had a right to use deadly force to stop an immediate threat. But using deadly force to defend against pounding on a door is little better than shooting someone who yells "I'm gonna kill you". Unfortunately, with overly-permissive "castle doctrine" laws, we end up emboldening people to use any opportunity to use a gun to settle a dispute, regardless of whether or not there was a real threat to the homeowner's life.

tarzan1888

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Anyone else concerned that the son shot through a door? Or are we too busy patting ourselves on the back about how macho it is to shoot people?

There are few instances where shooting through a door is justified. From the facts we have, this isn't one of them. "Warning shots" are best left to the movies. If the door was breached, by all means the son had a right to use deadly force to stop an immediate threat. But using deadly force to defend against pounding on a door is little better than shooting someone who yells "I'm gonna kill you". Unfortunately, with overly-permissive "castle doctrine" laws, we end up emboldening people to use any opportunity to use a gun to settle a dispute, regardless of whether or not there was a real threat to the homeowner's life.

imperialism2024 Is Correct. Remember rule #4 "Know your target and what is behind it." When the door falls, so do they, but not until.

Tarzan

occva

imported post

I don't think I would shoot through my door if they were pounding on it. (definetley wouldn't!)

However if it was coming off the hinges, as stated in the story, I just might. I doubt someone is going through all that trouble to tell me I left my sprinkler on.

tarzan1888

imported post

occva wrote:
I don't think I would shoot through my door if they were pounding on it. (definetley wouldn't!)

However if it was coming off the hinges, as stated in the story, I just might. I doubt someone is going through all that trouble to tell me I left my sprinkler on.

If you remember the 4 rules of gun safety then it is easy to know what to do.

1.Treat every gun as it is loaded

2. Never point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy.

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you have identified your target.

4. Know your target and what is behind it.

Be ready and don't jump the gun.

Tarzan

tarzan1888

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Burglar shot thjrough the door nut leave it up to the parents.
Fot those wanting to leave decisions up to the parents.

This statement goes back to a discussion we had about the age at which a person should be allowed to carry a gun.

Some of us felt that the age should be left up to the parents, who are the best judge of the maturity of their children.

In all things there should bo choice and accountability.

If we don't chose wisley we should pay the penelty for that choice.

Tarzan

Neplusultra

imported post

occva wrote:

Exactly, why would you want to wait until they're "in" your house? If the door is coming off the hinges and they're yelling that they're going to kill you what are you waiting for?

If they burst through the door you could get one, maybe two shots off before they are on you. If there were four of them as I believe the story stated, you'd be in trouble.

I'm not so sure a warning shot is wrong in this situation. If you yell that you have a gun and they continue their attempts to break the door it may just be because they don't believe that you actually do have a gun. In which case you would be forced to shoot them if they made it through. But, if they hear the gun, then they know you really do have one and may decide to go elsewhere. And at that point if they don't you can be assured you're dealing with some really crazy bad guys :^).

hirundo82

imported post

acrimsontide wrote:
I hope the Castle Doctrine in Texas prevents all civil liability!! Otherwise the "caring mother" of the burglar would sue the homeowners.

It does if it is a good shoot:

Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code Sec. 83.001

AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE. It is an affirmative
defense to a civil action for damages for personal injury or death
that the defendant, at the time the cause of action arose, was
justified in using force or deadly force under Subchapter C,
Chapter 9 Penal Code

Regarding shooting through a door--I think one is justified in assuming that a person has foul intent if they are in the process of breaking down your door;we also don't know if there may be glass panes in the door in question that allowed the homeowners to see who was outside.

In terms of rule 4 (know your target and what is beyond it) in this case, this is the address where the incident occurred (click on Aerial Image). Obviously, no neighbors to worry about being hit by a stray round, especially using a shotgun.

Neplusultra

imported post

hirundo82 wrote:
In terms of rule 4 (know your target and what is beyond it) in this case, this is the address where the incident occurred (click on Aerial Image). Obviously, no neighbors to worry about being hit by a stray round, especially using a shotgun.
I disagree! If I must shoot to defend myself against harm and my (even halfway) responsible shot injures an innocent bystander then it is the BG's guilt!!! The same principle applies to a cop who in rightfully chasing a criminal in a high speed pursuit causes injury to an innocent bystander it is the guy he was chasing that is charged!

Now it would be different if you "knew" that your shot would definately injure someone. But I'd say that is rarely the case.

imperialism2024

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:
I disagree! If I must shoot to defend myself against harm and my (even halfway) responsible shot injures an innocent bystander then it is the BG's guilt!!! The same principle applies to a cop who in rightfully chasing a criminal in a high speed pursuit causes injury to an innocent bystander it is the guy he was chasing that is charged!

Now it would be different if you "knew" that your shot would definately injure someone. But I'd say that is rarely the case.
I believe you're referring to the felony murder rule. If someone is committing a felony and someone dies as a result of it, and it is a reasonably foreseeable result, the felon is charged with the murder.

There is some degree of reasonability attached to the responders to the felony. Otherwise, LEOs could conduct a drug bust by cluster-bombing a city block or two, and charging the participants with all the deaths of the bystanders.

hirundo82

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:

Even if I wasn't held legally responsible, I imagine I'd still feel guilty if a round I fired injured an innocent person.

ace1001

imported post

If they had been laying dead INSIDE the house with the door busted it would have been better from a legal standpoint. From a practical standpoint, if he had waited until they were in, one or more of them would have been dead. Personally, before the door comes completely down, I'm going to want to know the gun is running properly and havesome use of the door as abatus to slow the multiple attackers. He did not know if he was facing multiple ARMED attackers. I would have assumed so because of their brazenness. I cannot believe the armchair quarterbacking. I personally don't even expect perfection from the police.:cool: Ace

AbNo

imported post

"As the door was coming down, the homeowner's son, Don Ashby, grabbed a shotgun and shot through the bottom of the door striking Lily in the right foot."

So, the door was being broken down, and he shot through part of the door?

Sounds good enough to me.

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
imported post

Several members have criticized the son for his attempts to protect his family which amazes me. There argument seems to be that "he Should have fired a warning shot" Based on the story, I would say that he did, or atleast fired a shot with the direct intention of NOT killing anyone. Otherwise why would he shoot the bottom of the door and hit the Perp in the foot??? Personally, if multiple people are trying to force their way into your home, with verbal threats of killing you when they get in, and the door is in the process of coming down, I am firing. Why would I wait for multiple, possibly armed, attackers to be inside my house? I would probably get a good shot on the first one, and maybe even the second, but what happens when the third and fourth guy shoot me? Who is there to protect my family then???. I think the son did a great job in a truly stressful and frightening time.

imperialism2024

imported post

mmdkyoung123 wrote:
Several members have criticized the son for his attempts to protect his family which amazes me. There argument seems to be that "he Should have fired a warning shot" Based on the story, I would say that he did, or atleast fired a shot with the direct intention of NOT killing anyone. Otherwise why would he shoot the bottom of the door and hit the Perp in the foot??? Personally, if multiple people are trying to force their way into your home, with verbal threats of killing you when they get in, and the door is in the process of coming down, I am firing. Why would I wait for multiple, possibly armed, attackers to be inside my house? I would probably get a good shot on the first one, and maybe even the second, but what happens when the third and fourth guy shoot me? Who is there to protect my family then???. I think the son did a great job in a truly stressful and frightening time.
Only one person on this thread so far has advocated firing a "warning shot". "Warning shots" are generally taboo for self-defense, as they tend to make people both legally and tactically disadvantaged. The primary argument here is that he was wrong for shooting at something he couldn't see. If someone is try to break down my front door and I shoot through the door and miss, that round is going through a small park across the street and, beyond that, a row of single family homes. I imagine very few of us live in concrete-walled apartment buildings or at least 5 miles from any other people... therefore, it's a bad idea to shoot through a door when you can't see through it.

Take a re-read of the thread :)