• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Philadelphia

gbrown221

imported post

Has anyone open carried in Philadelphia? I am aware open carry is legal, but the People Republic of Philadelphia tends to make it's own rules.

Does anyone care to share their OC expierences in Phila?

I would love to see an organized Open Carry lunch in Phila.

Regards,

Greg

lprgcFrank

imported post

My usual time in Philly is at the airport heading to/from my office in OH. I regularly OC in the baggage claim and parking lots. Haven't had any issues. Get lots of sideways looks though. Usually bag claims in D and F for OC'ing. Most recent was last Thurs in terminal F and walking to/from my car in garage E.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I see you posted this here too ;) I'll paste my response I posted over on PAFOA:

I have OC'd in phila.
Briefly, as I would not OC in crowded areas, but It happened a couple times.
Gas station, and Mac'D's with the kids, and at the hotel I was staying at on another occasion.
Member lprgcFrank has OC'd in Phila also, might want to look him up.
I remember a report on OCDO of a fellow OC'ing in Phila while riding his bike in the wee hours of the AM (his regular routine) and he was once stopped and detained but was released when they (phila PD) figured out they had nothing to charge him with.
Yes, OC in Phila is a gray area as far as the PD. I would participate in a group outing provided it was somewhere that I would otherwise OC. IE: Not crowded downtown...

Jersey Ron

imported post

philadelphia is literally in a world of it's own when it comes to open carry. i was detained twice for open carry due to my gun being visible because my shirt had raised. both times i explained that it was not my intention to open carry but reminded the officers that PENNSYLVANIA is a legal open carry state and one only needs a PA LTCF or recognized CCW from another state in order to open carry in philadelphia. they laughed at me and said philadelphia had ordinances prohibitting open carry. i asked them where could i find this so-called ordinance and we went back and forth; blah, blah, blah. bottom line is they got pissed off with me as my florida license came back clean and they couldn't "stick" me with anything. told me to be more discreet and wished me a great day. i said "right back to ya!"

jersey

ps - you can open carry but prepared to get harrassed by EVERY SINGLE COP that sees you. period!

bobgcc

imported post

I would also like to attend an oc dinner in Philadelphia. Keep me informed!!

Prophet

imported post

ah hell, why not....i'll make the trip from the free city of Pittsburgh to the californian transplant city known as Philadelphia to have dinner and stick it to the man. And by "the man" I mean of course the former mayor of philly, current governor of PA and consumate gun grabber himself Ed Rendell.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Well US AIRWAYS finally got me home on Friday night - so today's OC excursion with the usual 1911... and my suitcase....

Philly Airport terminal F, E and D walking through all of these on my way to the train platform. Waiting on the terminal D platform for 20+ minutes with 8+ TSA folks and 15 other folks, 20+ minutes on the 30th Street station platform with 35+ people waiting for the R5 and the train rides. No issues -

I saw at least 3 people take notice. An older TSA person gave me the hairy eyeball and I just smiled at her and stood there waiting for the train at the airport. One guy - I think is the parent of one of my daughter's friends noticed and kept up a nervous chatter with the person sitting next to him till I got off the train in Wayne. One woman wearing a Hillary T-shirt on the 30th street platform walked by me 3 times and kept glancing at my 1911 - but hey - I'm just waiting for the train - just like her.....

And to think that Hillary was at my kids high school today.....

gbrown221

imported post

PA Patriot and other fellow brother:

Any update on having an OC lunch/dinner in Philadelphia? I will help with organization in anyway I can. Anyone can feel free to PM me on the Pennsylvania Firearms Forum. I will supply my email address and phone number their.