• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC firearm showing

Rando

imported post

I have been carrying for around 8 or 9 years and always CC. I am always checking to see if the handgun is showing or outlining. I would like to know if there is such a difference between CC and OC that if you choose to CC and someone sees it can they do anything other than ask you to leave? I have tried a few different CC holsters and find all to be somewhat uncomfortable and hard to conceal at times, is there a magic holster out there? I do carry different guns from 380. to 40. in all sizes and have thought of getting a shoulder holster such as the Galco's.

Thanks for any info,Rando:?

IndianaBoy79

imported post

As far as what someone can do if they see your gun, it depends on what state you're in. In Texas it's against the law for it to show; the cops may be called. In Idaho, if my concealed weapon shows, its no problem.

I also choose to carry concealed most of the time, though I have made a commitment to OC once a week. Finding the right holster for you will depend on several things. You may have to alter the way you dress a bit. Personally, I carry "mexican" style, IWB just to the right of my belt buckle. I use a galco leather holster made to fit my Ruger SP 101. For me, I had to start learning to wear my shirts untucked...I'm much more used to tucking in my shirt. Having a good belt is important too to spread the weight out and secure the gun properly. Having the gun up front I can always see if it is showing and it is always in my control. I carry a speed loader in my right pocket and never carry anything else in there. After a lot of trial an error, this is what works for me. Take a look at some of the milt sparks holsters...you may like some of their concealed options though none were right for me, it's quality stuff.

RickTN

State Researcher
imported post

Rando, in Tennessee the law is for open or concealed carry. If you are carrying concealed and you were to expose your firearm to the sheeple or soccer moms it is still within the scope of the law. Our permit says Handgun Carry Permit, nowhere does it say anything about concealed.

In this state if you want to carry open it is perfectly legal and the state doesn't say how you must carry, as the instructor at my HCP class said, " You can carry with your gun taped to your forehead if you wish"

FightingGlock19

imported post

I've used Blade-Tech's IWB Kydex Holster since I started carrying. It is THE most comfortable holster I've worn on a daily basis. I drive a semi-truck almost 11 hours a day & have never been uncomfortable long distances with a holstered weapon.

http://www.blade-tech.com/In-the-Waistband-IWB-IDPA-APPROVED-pr-820.html

The holster I am using is 3 years old and shows no signs of wear, even after being well abused in training classes & range exercises.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
As far as what someone can do if they see your gun, it depends on what state you're in. In Texas it's against the law for it to show; the cops may be called. In Idaho, if my concealed weapon shows, its no problem.

The Texas permit seems prettydumb then. Without the permit, if someone sees your gun you are arrested but otherwise you are fine. With the permit, if someone sees your gun you are also arrested but otherwise are fine. What's the point? Reduced penalties for permit owners or just an opportunity to pretend making concealed carry legal by issuing permits that don't do anything but give them fee money? From the sound of it, its still illegal since the only way they know is if they see it and you still get in trouble with or without the permit.

imperialism2024

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
IndianaBoy79 wrote:

The Texas permit seems prettydumb then. Without the permit, if someone sees your gun you are arrested but otherwise you are fine. With the permit, if someone sees your gun you are also arrested but otherwise are fine. What's the point? Reduced penalties for permit owners or just an opportunity to pretend making concealed carry legal by issuing permits that don't do anything but give them fee money? From the sound of it, its still illegal since the only way they know is if they see it and you still get in trouble with or without the permit.
That's a fairly good point. I wonder what the penalty is for letting one's weapon show in a state like Texas or Florida. I'd tend to think that it would only be a summary offense or misdemeanor at worst, though, instead of a felony if one carries without a permit.

Then again, I believe that in PA, carrying without a permit if one is eligible to get a LTCF is a misdemeanor offense, and is only a felony if one is a "prohibited" person (including underage). So if that's the same penalty in Texas, then a permit really is a joke.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Felid`Maximus wrote:
IndianaBoy79 wrote:

That's a fairly good point. I wonder what the penalty is for letting one's weapon show in a state like Texas or Florida. I'd tend to think that it would only be a summary offense or misdemeanor at worst, though, instead of a felony if one carries without a permit.

Then again, I believe that in PA, carrying without a permit if one is eligible to get a LTCF is a misdemeanor offense, and is only a felony if one is a "prohibited" person (including underage). So if that's the same penalty in Texas, then a permit really is a joke.
FWIW, I was with friends in FL last week who CC and this issue came up. According to one of them, there is a misdeamenor offense, the name of which I do not recall, for exposing your CC weapon, which typically does not include printing unless an LEO wants it to and wants to make an issue of it, which he said is uncommon. He was relating a situation in which he accidently exposed his pistol shopping when reaching for an item off a high shelf and then his shirt didn't fall back down to fully cover his pistol which he hadn't realized as he left the store as his credit card was in shirt pocket and keys in his hand as he had just run in quickly for something. As he left the store, an LEO in the parking lot saw him and stopped him. As the conversation ensued and he explained the accidental situation, the officers took possession of his firearm per their dept. protocol, asked to see his CCW, walked him to his car, where, upon his unlocking it, they placed his pistol on the passenger seat, told him to be more careful in the future and that they were not writing him a citation as they believed that he was telling the truth about it being accidental.

ijusam

imported post

I wonder why a gun "printing" would be against the law. If a woman wears a sweater that "prints" her breasts or spandex that shows a "camel toe" is she arrested for indecent exposure?

tarzan1888

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Depends what she looks like? :uhoh:

roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif

Now that's funny.

Tarzan

bspurs5

imported post

I recently got a Comp Tac Spartan holster for CC. It is amazing. The holster is thin and very comfortable, and hides my glock 19 well even in a t shirt. Not to mention, Comp Tac's service is premier, and your holster will be at the doorstep within 5 days. This holster is also tuckable.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=102

You can also look at their MTAC. It's the exact same holster functionally, but has a nicer finish in the leather.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ijusam wrote:
I wonder why a gun "printing" would be against the law.
I would think that the argument is that concealed carry means concealed. A pistol very obviously printing while technically covered is not really concealed. The same bed-wetting reasons to outlaw open carry would then apply in the minds of such people who oppose OC.

tarzan1888

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
ijusam wrote:
I would think that the argument is that concealed carry means concealed. A pistol very obviously printing while technically covered is not really concealed. The same bed-wetting reasons to outlaw open carry would then apply in the minds of such people who oppose OC.

The only state that I am really aware of that is totally anal retentive about it is Texas.

That is why when in Texas I am more careful and wear loose clothing ie. a vest that covers my shoulder holster or if it is to hot for that a shirt over a pancake holster that hugs my body close and contours the gun so that it will not print.

Tarzan

imperialism2024

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
ijusam wrote:

The only state that I am really aware of that is totally anal retentive about it is Texas.

That is why when in Texas I am more careful and wear loose clothing ie. a vest that covers my shoulder holster or if it is to hot for that a shirt over a pancake holster that hugs my body close and contours the gun so that it will not print.

Tarzan
I was under the impression that Florida was also this way, but that may have only been a few isolated cases that I remember being posted on here.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
ijusam wrote:

Tarzan
I was under the impression that Florida was also this way, but that may have only been a few isolated cases that I remember being posted on here.
I was also under that impression. My friends I referenced above were also under that impression when they got their CCW licenses about a year ago. As they became progressively more active in the FL right to carry community, they tell me they have found that it is not the case for the most part. I didn't ask for more detailed information as to the issue. I will try to remember to do so next time we talk.

tarzan1888

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
ijusam wrote:

Tarzan

Having worked in both states, I haven't seen the same level of irrational worry in Florida as I have in Texas.

Tarzan

XD40coyote

imported post

ijusam wrote:
I wonder why a gun "printing" would be against the law. If a woman wears a sweater that "prints" her breasts or spandex that shows a "camel toe" is she arrested for indecent exposure?
Well in the case of the woman showing her stuff, any man that sees it will get pleasantly excited, however in the case of the gun showing, any woman who sees it may be unpleasantly excited . The difference is between typical men vs soccer moms LOL