• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with what is legal with VA concealed carry in SC

Ric in Richmond

imported post

Going to hilton head in a week from Viginia.

SC doesn't recognize VA permits.

No concealed carry for me or open carry as far as I can see. Still would like to be armed legally.

Kosher to stop in NC, unload, secure arms and ammos seperate and continue on to Hilton Head????

We need a national CC...this trying to figure out what other states allow is a pain!!

BTW Virginia recognizes your permit...come on up and visit us!!!

Ric

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:

No concealed carry for me or open carry as far as I can see. Still would like to be armed legally.

Kosher to stop in NC, unload, secure arms and ammos seperate and continue on to Hilton Head????

We need a national CC...this trying to figure out what other states allow is a pain!!

Ric
South Carolina allows glove box/center console/motorcycle saddle bag carry without a permit. You may want to follow the status of HB 3212, which would recognize all other states' permits, which is being discussed at this thread.

Ric in Richmond

imported post

Thank you very much!!!

Hope the law you reference does pass...won't be in time for me.

Now..how to get it out of the car and to the hotel without concealing/ open carrying/ breaking a law?

The lawmakers don't think this stuff through very well do they?

cwolfs69

imported post

:) not a lawyer so no charge for this advice, but perfectly legal to carry from your glove box/console in a car to your motel/hotel room assuming that you have paid all the fees etc. i believe because in most states and sc that motel room is considered you "home" at that time.

PT111

imported post

cwolfs69 wrote:
:) not a lawyer so no charge for this advice, but perfectly legal to carry from your glove box/console in a car to your motel/hotel room assuming that you have paid all the fees etc. i believe because in most states and sc that motel room is considered you "home" at that time.

Yep, not a problem with that. SC laws are not quite as restrictive as you would think and there are some loopholes that you can get away with.

As for the new law it is effective as of June 16 and what does it cover? Check this out.

This is from the Republicans that led the fight for what they could get.

http://scsenategop.com/senate-approves-bill-expanding-number-of-states-recognizing-concealed-weapons-permit.htm

Columbia, SC - The state Senate, lead by the Republican Caucus, gave key approval today to a measure that will increase reciprocity for concealed weapons permit holders. The bill (H.3212) increases the number of states that will recognize South Carolina’s concealed weapons permit while allowing an additional 14 states’ permit holders to legally carry a concealed weapon in South Carolina.

Senator Jim Ritchie (R-Spartanburg), Majority Whip, led the floor effort that led to Senate approval today. “The Senate-passed bill has the full support of both the NRA and South Carolina law enforcement,”
says Senator Ritchie. “We were able to maintain the high standards South Carolina requires to obtain a concealed weapons permit while expanding reciprocity to 14 additional states. This is a victory for the second amendment and the people of South Carolina.”

H. 3212 provides for the recognition of valid out-of-state permits by residents of a reciprocal state as long as the reciprocal state requires applicants to successfully pass a state and federal criminal background check and a firearms safety and training course. Residents from other states will be subject to the same concealed weapons permit laws as South Carolinians while in the state.

States that currently recognize South Carolina’s concealed weapons permit include: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia and Wyoming.

The bill passed today would expand the states recognizing South Carolina’s concealed weapons permit to include: Colorado, Florida, Maine, Minnesota, Nebraska and Nevada.

South Carolina currently recognizes the concealed weapons permits of the following states: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Tennessee and Wyoming.

Today’s action will expand that list to include: Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming. A reciprocity agreement with West Virginia is pending.
The legislature and SLED says that the bill covers these states and is effective June 16. With a careful reading of the bill I would say that if you have a problem you would have very strong grounds in court to defeat any charges.

PT111

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
It is spin to consider black letter law a loophole, unless of course the palisade is around the governments effort to disarm.

Is it legal to offer a conclusion of law without a license?
you would have very strong grounds in court to defeat any charges.
Legal advice is worth what you pay for it and acquiring standing is risky.

Unless you get you legal advice for free I haven't found that to be the case. I have had more than one incident where I have paid money for legal advice only to find that it was less than worthless.

If you have a valid hunting or fishing license and are on the way to or from hunting/fishing you can carry openly in SC andthe lawdoes not say you have to be traveling directly to/from hunting/fishing. Much leeway in that law/loophole and is regularly exploited. In fact I was told by a County Sheriff to use that if I ever needed it.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Can anyone tell me if the 3212 provisions are fully in effect now? I read on another forum that the final decision about approving the reciprocity for Virginia is still up to SLED. My 21 y.o. daughter is a VA resident, but goes to college in SC.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

As of February 25, 2008, states with which South Carolina has reciprocity are:

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Tennessee, and Wyoming.

Residents of reciprocal states who hold permits issued by their states of residence may carry concealed firearms in South Carolina, but must abide by the restrictions in the South Carolina CWP law. For that reason, out of state residents of reciprocal states should familiarize themselves with restricted carry locations and other provisions of South Carolina law posted on this website. South Carolina permittees who carry firearms in reciprocal states are likewise responsible for familiarizing themselves with the applicable laws and regulations of the reciprocal state. Web sites of those states may be accessed by selecting the desired state name listed above.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:

Ric

Trust me. You do NOT want this. At the federal level, this would be VERY bad.

James

imported post

Did the governor sign the bill? From what I read, he did. Doesnt that mean we can now carry into S.C.? I do not want to open carry in S.C., but would like to have my weapon at the ready.