• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone open carry a Revolver?

nova

imported post

Ford Truck wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
thnycav wrote:
Colt 1860 Army 44.
Now THAT is classy.:cool:
I have a friend who cut down a Remington style .44 cap & ball revolver to 4" for a carry gun. He doesn't OC but he uses it to CC. I borrowed it for a couple months & lent him an old Smith & Wesson M & P 5" nickel plate while I had his gun. I liked it. When I have the $ to spend, I'll be acquiring a pair of stainless steel Remington style .44 cap & ball revolvers to cut down to 4" for my own self. Sometimes I just like the smell of sulphur without having to eat eggs & drink beer.
I've been considering getting one of those cheap .44 cap & ball revolvers sometime just for fun when I make it to the outdoor ranges just because it'd be different than everything else I already have. I've just never gotten one because I've always had something else higher on "the list" :)

thnycav

imported post

The Remington is good because they do have a conversion kit so you can fire metallic cartridges from it. They converted many of the after the war. This way you can fire them both was as a cap and ball and use metallic cartridges.

The colt walker is the real bad @$$. It is a big weapon 5 lbs. Was called a horse pistol because you had pummel holsters to carry them. A trooper would carry 2 of the. I have included a photo of theholster.

Attachments

• sprague.gif
    sprague.gif
    49.7 KB · Views: 664

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thnycav wrote:
The Remington is good because they do have a conversion kit so you can fire metallic cartridges from it. They converted many of the after the war. This way you can fire them both was as a cap and ball and use metallic cartridges.

The colt walker is the real bad @$$. It is a big weapon 5 lbs. Was called a horse pistol because you had pummel holsters to carry them. A trooper would carry 2 of the. I have included a photo of theholster.
"Man, I hate this holster. It just beats you up carrying it."

"What's wrong with it?"

"Well, nothing and I should have expected it being it is a pummel holster."

:p

Fun with typos :lol:
:celebrate

Seriously though, I was not aware of the conversion ability of the Remington. If I decide to acquire an historic pistol in the future I will certainly be picking your brain for info.

Tomahawk

imported post

I like the Remingtons because they have that nice reassuring top strap and they're built very solid. Those big Colt Walkers and others with no top strap scare me. I'd never trust the thing not to bend in half after enough metal fatigue.

jimwyant

imported post

My primary carry is a Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull, loaded with either Speer Gold Dot or Hornady 300gr factory 454 loads, in a black Sunrise Leather OWB holster.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I like the Remingtons because they have that nice reassuring top strap and they're built very solid. Those big Colt Walkers and others with no top strap scare me. I'd never trust the thing not to bend in half after enough metal fatigue.

Modern metallurgy, my boy.

Plus, there's just something romantic about banging a barrel wedge into place.

Got wedges?

:)

ace1001

imported post

Take one SAA revolver, place it grips up, barrelbetween your tucked in shirt and belt, on the offside of your buckle. The barrel will slant inward toward your inseam. I suggest a modern repo or be sure you have the hammer on an empty chamber. It is tight to your body and much slimmer than with a holster. Works for everything except horseback. Ace

thnycav

imported post

nova wrote:
Yep the Remingtons are able to be converted to metallic cartridges, one thing I do know about that is that it reclassify's the gun as a firearm, and not a muzzleloader, for all intended purposes regarding the law.

But they sure are cool and I bet are fun to shoot! :)
No it does not go by if it is a muzzle loader. My Sharps carbine is a breach loader. It just goes by the year the weapon was designed. It is only forsome registrations that it is not considered a firearm. Go out in public and wave it around and than try to tell to police that arrest you for brandishing a firearm that it is not.

Custodian

imported post

Personally, unlike my first CC gun [I'm leaning to a Bersa Thunder .380 Concealed Carry] I want my first OC gun to be a revolver on my hip. I'm looking at the Taurus Judge, loaded with .410 shot shells or .45 LC. I think that would be a sweet experience.

ace1001

imported post

I shoot .45 Colt and can make anything from the starting load of .44 mag to shot shells with it. If you want expansion you load a 250gr hollow point. Ruger heavy Vaquero. Ace

Tomahawk

imported post

ace1001 wrote:
I shoot .45 Colt and can make anything from the starting load of .44 mag to shot shells with it. If you want expansion you load a 250gr hollow point. Ruger heavy Vaquero. Ace
Are you saying you carry a Vaquero? Those are nice, but they are single-action and a bit slow for daily carry. I have a Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, which I love, but except maybe for backwoods carry (It's so pretty you have to carry it somewhere) I think it's too slow.

ace1001

imported post

A LITTLE slower. MUCH safer to carry. And my personal kill zone with this weapon reaches out to 120 yards. It is what you are comfortable with that you want to use. Ace.

thx997303

imported post

I OC a S&W Model 10-7 in .38 spcl. I love this gun. Oh and I carry it in some random brand high ride leather holster. gonna upgrade. this one flops around a bit much for me.

PVT McDonald

nova

imported post

I've grown to love my Accumold belt slide holster...it rids close and tight without any flopping (I went through that and finally found one that is tight).

Last edited: