• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone open carry a Revolver?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Does anyone know of a COMFORTABLE holster for my Python Elite?:p

Damn:what:What you gonna shoot with that thing ??? That's not a gun/revolver that's a CANNON:celebrate

BTW, I OC at occasion a Ruger Vaquero 44Mag 5'5 inch barrel

th_CellPhPictures038.jpg

TJ

Sheepdawg

imported post

On occasionally I carry my 5.5in Vaquero .44-40 in a leather quick-draw holster. My friends think I'm crazy. they say its to slow, what about follow up shots?I can draw and fire just as fast as their autos and ifI need a follow up shot thenI aren't aiming very well now am I.:cool:

thx997303

imported post

I decided to use my bianchi service holster instead of the high rise one I was using. The thing has a forward and outward angle to it and is not a huge hassle when sitting down in the car.

Weak 9mm

imported post

They seem just fine to me. The pocket revolvers seem great for CC to me. You get increased reliability too, if you get a dud you just keep pulling the trigger. There's no need to rack the slide in the event of a failure, which is a big deal if someone is 5 feet away from you.

The only thing they lack compared to some Semi-Autos is capacity. If you were going to OC the revolver you can snag a 7 or 8 shot .357 though, which isn't really any different than a single stack 1911. I plan on getting a S&W 442 or 642 .38 special +P with crimson trace laser grips for my CC pocket revolver. Yes, it only has 5 shots, but that's not very different than other pocket guns. I'll probably snag a Bersa .380 auto too. It only has a 7 shot magazine, but it would be my secondary if I had both of them. I think revolvers have a lot going for them personally.

FogRider

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I just don't see a revolver as being a viable fighting platform.
Why not? I'd say that over the years they have proven themselves extremely viable. Weapons that are not effective eventually dissapear as better ones come along and replace them (longbow, broadsword etc.), and the revolver is still going strong with no signs of going away any time soon. Yes, the have their shortcomings (low ammo count), but make up for them in other areas.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I have a S&W .38 special Military & Police Model 1905 3rd Change that was acquired NIB by my great-great grandfather about 1910. It was carried daily in a leather holster in the hills of KY, on foot, horseback, buckboard and later in car and truck, to church, to the mines, to the fields, in the lumbermill daily by my g-g g/f, my g-g/f and then my g/f for over 40 years. The nickle finish is pitted and it looks a little rough, but the cylinders and bore are smooth and the original wooden grips are worn to a nice patina. The springs are still tight and functional (probably because there haven't been a whole lot of rounds through it) and yes I do shoot it with target loads still. Actually, it was the first handgun I ever shot as a boy. My family didn't take real good care of their firearms by today's standards. They were pretty cheap and just tools. They treated them like they would any tool. They didn't leave them out in the rain and wiped it off after use, but they weren't safe queens by any means and were carried and used regularly for food, sport and protection.

To this day it puts 6 rounds down range into the bullseye without problem. From 25 yds, in my non-expert hands, it will pull a 3-3.5" group. I watched as an expert shooter pull about a 2" group with it at 25 yards the only time he shot it. Maybe it was just luck that day but I am rather impressed by it's capability after nearly a 100 years of use. I prefer semi-autos for various reasons, but excepting capacity (and as we have seen from some videos, expert shooters can with great accuracy empty, reload and re-empty a revolver as fast as most of us can a semi-auto) I find nothing lacking in a revolver, even a near antique revolver, as a fighting platform.

Flintlock

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I don't carry a revolver but I wouldn't quite go that far. Revolvers have been a fine fighting piece for over 150 years and are typically more reliable and accurate than their semi-auto competitors.

I guess it depends on what you are basing that statement. What type of fighting are you talking about? Combat, close-range self-defense, or both?

thx997303

imported post

I would take a revolver into combat, but that is what I learned to shoot on. Revolvers are reliable and easy to learn to shoot, but as far as reloading in a quick manner, it has a pretty steep learning curve. They definitely are reliable, my S&W model ten has had well over 20,000 rounds through it, heck I remember one day we put 1000 rounds through it in a single day.

My dad bought it for use in the police force back in the 80's, and knowing him, I'll bet it was used when he bought it. the thing has never had a part replaced and barring bad ammo, it goes boom every time, accurately I might add. I imagine passing this revolver to my daughter when I'm about to die.

Weak 9mm

imported post

That's another thing, it does seem like revolvers generally tend to be inherently more accurate than semi-autos. The fact that the barrel doesn't move around has some positive effects IMO. A 7 or 8 shot revolver is no different than a 1911 really, and should be more reliable. I can't imagine they wouldn't work in combat as long as you've trained in fast reloading, but a high capacity semi-auto has its advantages in such situations.

The thing is, this is talking about OCing a revolver for self defense, not combat, and that seems just fine to me. When you're having to defend yourself against attackers just feet away, you're going to want the simplest, most reliable weapon you can get your hands on. The likelihood that you'd need more than 5 or 6 shots in such a close range encounter is small, and if you do you're in a serious situation. I think I'll probably carry two pocket guns when I get my CC permit. Either one semi-auto and a revolver or two revolvers. The revolver would likely be my primary and the semi-auto the secondary. If you get a dud with that revolver, just keep pulling the trigger. Duds in the semi-auto may get you killed in a close range encounter, as the BG might attack immediately upon seeing your weapon fail. You'll have to rack the slide, and that will put you in a vulnerable spot. It's not likely, but if it happened it would suck.

nova

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Unless of course you get a squib load, then you may have a problem.
A squib will put any firearm out of service. :)

Weak 9mm

imported post

Well, only a few barrel chunks may end up in your face. Nothing too major.

tarzan1888

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Not really so, but I have heard it before....You need 15 or 16 rounds....but do you.

If you have more rounds you shoot more rounds, but do you need them.

A good example is what happened in New Your City when they went from the 6 shot .38 revolver being the standard side arm to a 9 mm Auto Loader. The change happened in 1993, (All officers did not change and there are still almost 2,000 revolvers on duty in New York City.)

"For the most part, however, the weapons' increased ammunition capacity hasn't resulted in an increase in police overfiring or the wounding of innocent bystanders, according to NYPD figures. The number of police bullets fired spiked from an average of about 1,100 a year in the last five years the NYPD predominantly used revolvers to 1,728 in 1995, the year after they went to semiautomatics. But by 1999, the number of bullets fired had decreased to 621 and in 2004 fell to a modern low of 352 before shooting up by 75 percent last year."

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0649,gardiner,75216,6.html

Initially the number of shots per year spiked, but it has settled back down and is currentlya littleunder 4 shots per encounter.

"Statistically, the shooting is an aberration. The number of shots fired per officer who acted in the 112 shooting incidents this year, through Nov. 19, is 3.2, said Paul J. Browne, a department spokesman. Last year, that number was 3.7 shots fired per officer in 109 incidents. They are down from 4.6 in 2000 and 5.0 in 1995."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/27/nyregion/27fire.html?ex=1322283600&en=357cf73362b1de61&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Basically when the blush is of the high capacity guns, you don't need 15 rounds as a police officer, but people are tempted to use them if they have them

I would call any gun that has a capacity approximately 2X of what is required of the average gunfight, to be a viable fighting platform.

7 Rounds in my .357, should do just fine and if not there are my 2 Speed Loaders.

Tarzan

imperialism2024

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Strangely appropriate username for that comment .... ;)

:lol:

Nice.

Another aspect of revolvers that's hasn't been rehashed yet is caliber options. There really aren't too many semi-auto's out there that fire anything more powerful than 9mm/.45ACP, and it's rare to find one that will reliably fire .357 magnum, .44 magnum, or larger. So to me, I can give up a few shots in exchange for something that will expedite the process of incapacitating a BG.

And if ammo capacity is that big of a concern, just carry another revolver :)

Edited because I can't spell

Weak 9mm

imported post

Another aspect of revolvers that's hasn't been rehashed yet is caliber options. There really aren't too many semi-auto's out there that fire anything more powerful than 9mm/.45ACP, and it's rare to find one that will reliably fire .357 magnum, .44 magnum, or larger. So to me, I can give up a few shots in exchange for something that will expedite the process of incapacitating a BG.

Yep the 10mm is the only relativelystandardsemi-autocartridge that's reallyin the .357 Magnum (And even slightly higher)power range. I know the .357 Sig is supposed to be similar, and I guess with certain ammo it is to some extent, but I still don't think it quite matches the Magnum.The 10mmdoes seem to be able to meet and/or slightly exceed the .357 Magnum in muzzle energy though, and can spit out some prettyheavy bullets. It's also similar in that you can get significantlylower poweredrounds for it (Sort of like throwing a .38 Special in the .357 I guess, although the lower end 10mm rounds arenot quite that weak). It's a very nice caliberand I do plan on owning a firearm chambered in iteventually. The S&W 610 revolver is back, it'schambered in10mm and can alsofire the.40S&W.I think it's awesome.

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-610.htm