Thread: DC's cameras

Post imported post

http://tinyurl.com/2jn5ph

If this is completely irrelevant to the forum please feel free to delete.

Post imported post

Holy electronic cyclops - that's about $55,000 per camera! Isn't that just about the price of a cop? Since it takes an officer to watch the cameras anyway what are they saving? Other than the video of your every move in case they need it later, of course.

Post imported post

Standard practice in Europe. For what-ever that's worth.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Maybe somebody can erect some billboards or something with the Bill of Rights within the camera frame.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

They have been using them in Baltimore for 3-4 years.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

2008... more like 1984, am I right?

(sorry, tired internet cliche because I'm tired too)
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

With all those cameras in London they still have a lot of crime. I've seen tv shows where the criminal looks at the camera and commits his crime, daring the bobby's to try to catch him.

It's just another waste of tax dollars.

Post imported post

Basically the cops have abandoned"protect and serve" philosophy and are nowengaging in voyeurism.

Post imported post

Maybe I'm just paranoid, and maybe I am wrong for not trusting the government, but I don't like them watching me. I've been fighting against these camaras in my city for awhile, and I'm afraid it's a losing battle. I have talked to city council several times, and they try to pass it off as "a way to save lives" but the truth is the it just brings more money into the government coffers. :X

Post imported post

So now we learn the ultimate truth behind their reasons for making suppressors a Class III 'destructice device'. :P

State Researcher

Post imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
    So now we learn the ultimate truth behind their reasons for making suppressors a Class III 'destructice device'. :P
    All you really need is a precharged air rifle... :P Anyone got a spare SCUBA tank?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

It is just the cops practicing what they preach....be a good witness. It has been made more and more obvious that they really have no desire or intention to protect.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Here's an interesting and dangerous civil rights violation scenario for you.

Let's say there were several terrorist attacks across the country on the order of 9/11 and many state governments increased police presence and even called out their National Guards. You are in a city with a bunch of street cameras being monitor and you are spotted OC'ing. You can bet the call will go out to units close to you and you will be accosted on the street in a not-so-friendly manner. This is a major problem with servailance camera use. Invasions of our rights and our privacy. Some will argue that it is all for the greater good without knowing or caring where this always leads.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Does anyone know where these camera fall in FIOA now? Since they are being actively monitored, it is not longer just an investigate tool.

Post imported post

Interesting question. Hadn't thought about that.

Post imported post

Toad wrote:
    It is just the cops practicing what they preach....be a good witness. It has been made more and more obvious that they really have no desire or intention to protect.
    Is it the role of the police to protect? Or is that the role of an armed citizenry?

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
    Toad wrote:
    Is it the role of the police to protect? Or is that the role of an armed citizenry?
    It is the role of the police to walk a beat and have presence, which is a better crime prevention strategy than sitting around in front of a TV screen.

Walking a beat would probably require no more personnel than what is required to watch cameras, and might even cost less when you consider all the money these systems cost.

But hey, when you're a politician or a government employee, money's not a problem. It's not coming out of your pocket.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Toad wrote:
    It is the role of the police to walk a beat and have presence, which is a better crime prevention strategy than sitting around in front of a TV screen.

Walking a beat would probably require no more personnel than what is required to watch cameras, and might even cost less when you consider all the money these systems cost.

But hey, when you're a politician or a government employee, money's not a problem. It's not coming out of your pocket.
    Fair enough. Not to mention that it would help cut down on healthcare costs...