• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DC's cameras

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Holy electronic cyclops - that's about $55,000 per camera! Isn't that just about the price of a cop? Since it takes an officer to watch the cameras anyway what are they saving? Other than the video of your every move in case they need it later, of course.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Maybe somebody can erect some billboards or something with the Bill of Rights within the camera frame.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

With all those cameras in London they still have a lot of crime. I've seen tv shows where the criminal looks at the camera and commits his crime, daring the bobby's to try to catch him.

It's just another waste of tax dollars.:cuss:

ne1

imported post

Basically the cops have abandoned"protect and serve" philosophy and are nowengaging in voyeurism.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Maybe I'm just paranoid, and maybe I am wrong for not trusting the government, but I don't like them watching me. I've been fighting against these camaras in my city for awhile, and I'm afraid it's a losing battle. I have talked to city council several times, and they try to pass it off as "a way to save lives" but the truth is the it just brings more money into the government coffers. :X

Phssthpok

imported post

So now we learn the ultimate truth behind their reasons for making suppressors a Class III 'destructice device'. :p

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
So now we learn the ultimate truth behind their reasons for making suppressors a Class III 'destructice device'. :p
All you really need is a precharged air rifle... :p Anyone got a spare SCUBA tank?:D

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It is just the cops practicing what they preach....be a good witness. It has been made more and more obvious that they really have no desire or intention to protect.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Here's an interesting and dangerous civil rights violation scenario for you.

Let's say there were several terrorist attacks across the country on the order of 9/11 and many state governments increased police presence and even called out their National Guards. You are in a city with a bunch of street cameras being monitor and you are spotted OC'ing. You can bet the call will go out to units close to you and you will be accosted on the street in a not-so-friendly manner. This is a major problem with servailance camera use. Invasions of our rights and our privacy. Some will argue that it is all for the greater good without knowing or caring where this always leads.

possumboy

imported post

Does anyone know where these camera fall in FIOA now? Since they are being actively monitored, it is not longer just an investigate tool.

Tomahawk

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Toad wrote:
It is just the cops practicing what they preach....be a good witness. It has been made more and more obvious that they really have no desire or intention to protect.

Is it the role of the police to protect? Or is that the role of an armed citizenry?

It is the role of the police to walk a beat and have presence, which is a better crime prevention strategy than sitting around in front of a TV screen.

Walking a beat would probably require no more personnel than what is required to watch cameras, and might even cost less when you consider all the money these systems cost.

But hey, when you're a politician or a government employee, money's not a problem. It's not coming out of your pocket.

imperialism2024

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Toad wrote:

Is it the role of the police to protect? Or is that the role of an armed citizenry?

It is the role of the police to walk a beat and have presence, which is a better crime prevention strategy than sitting around in front of a TV screen.

Walking a beat would probably require no more personnel than what is required to watch cameras, and might even cost less when you consider all the money these systems cost.

But hey, when you're a politician or a government employee, money's not a problem. It's not coming out of your pocket.

Fair enough. Not to mention that it would help cut down on healthcare costs...