• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick court update

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
jack wrote:

Not True. I had a case once that was dismissed without a compelling reason. In fact it was quite obvious I was guilty as hell. ...... snipped.... When a prosecutorNolle pross a case it's is essentially dismissed. They can recharge you but it is extremely rare. The original charge is gone and will not appear in a criminal record check .

....SNIPPED!!

May I ask.... where did you get your information on this?

I have bad news for you.....

It DOES stay on you record and I have seen it time and time again when I do criminal record checks. I provide this information as I get it first hand from the computer.

As you openly admitted.. you were guilty of the charge in your case but it was dropped.

This entry is useful for officers in the futureso they will know that it is not the first time you have been accused of such a charge.

I think you are both right but are using different terminology when you refer to "your record".

It will always be on your arrest record and will show that it was initially charged and subsequently Nolle Pros'ed. This is the info that LEOs can see on their in-car computer.

However, on a Criminal Background check which an employer, etc would run, it would not show up because they are looking for CONVICTIONS.

If you ever apply for a security clearance or admission to the Bar, etc, then they will look at charged offenses as well as convictions but so long as you are up-front about disclosing the fact that you have been charged, it is unlikely to have any impact on the process.

Pointman

imported post

Dan, answering employment question # 42:

Have you been charged with or convicted of a felony? If yes, please explain: _________________

"Uh, excuse me. Could I have a few sheets of paper, an extra pencil, and a stapler?"

:lol:

danbus

imported post

Pointman wrote:

Have you been charged with or convicted of a felony? If yes, please explain: _________________

"Uh, excuse me. Could I have a few sheets of paper, an extra pencil, and a stapler?"

Don't have any felonies. :D

Pointman

imported post

Okay, let's all understand my comment isn't meant to be mean to Dan. (I also sent him a personal message on it.)

Pardoner

imported post

However, on a Criminal Background check which an employer, etc would run, it would not show up because they are looking for CONVICTIONS.

If you ever apply for a security clearance or admission to the Bar, etc, then they will look at charged offenses as well as convictions but so long as you are up-front about disclosing the fact that you have been charged, it is unlikely to have any impact on the process.

Lets see the background check my employeer did for my current job about a year ago did indeed show ALL arrests. I most likely wouldn't be working there if I had any convictions.

glocknroll

imported post

Pardoner wrote:

Lets see the background check my employeer did for my current job about a year ago did indeed show ALL arrests. I most likely wouldn't be working there if I had any convictions.
Have you considered petitioning for expungement? If you haven't been convicted, it is fairly easy to get those charges expunged from your record.

yankees98a

imported post

What field do you work on that it shows all arrest?

It's not legal unless someone makes over a certain amount in finance or works in public safety.

les_aker

imported post

yankees98a wrote:

It's not legal unless someone makes over a certain amount in finance or works in public safety.

SF-86 Question 23 for anyone seeking a security clearance:

YOUR POLICE RECORD

For this item, report information regardless of whether the record in your case has been “sealed” or otherwise stricken from the court
record. The single exception to this requirement is for certain convictions under the Federal Controlled Substances Act for which the
court issued an expungement order under the authority of 21 U.S.C. 844 or 18 U.S.C. 3607.

Have you ever been charged with or convicted of any felony offense? (Include those under Uniform Code of Military Justice)

Have you ever been charged with or convicted of a firearms or explosives offense?

Are there currently any charges pending against you for any criminal offense?

Have you ever been charged with or convicted of any offense(s) related to alcohol or drugs?

In the last 7 years, have you been subject to court martial or other disciplinary proceedings under the Uniform Code of Military Justice?

(Include non-judicial, Captain’s mast, etc.)

In the last 7 years, have you been arrested for, charged with, or convicted of any offense(s) not listed in response to a, b, c, d, or e above? (Leave out traffic fines of less than $150 unless the violation was alcohol or drug related.)

glocknroll

imported post

yankees98a wrote:

You can research court records in Virginia online.

http://www.courts.state.va.us

Expungement: state code19.2-392.2

You may not be able to find all arrest records, because a statewide search isn't possible online. What most background checks will do is check the courts in the areas you list as former addresses.

Sleepless

imported post

Pointman wrote:

Ehh you forgot a large size eraser too. :p

Pardoner

imported post

yankees98a wrote:

I work for my local cable company. They all showed, but they didn't care because they were all dismissed (gotta love the old armed security days).

Plus I do not recall any application that has EVER asked if I had been charged with a Felony (other than the military). They have all asked for a conviction.

kurtmax_0

imported post

I will say from "unspecified sources" that many employers in more professional fields will not consider applicants that have had any arrests. Even if no convictions.

Yes, it's illegal to do that, but who's gonna catch them?

LEO 229

imported post

Not saying anything about Dan... But there are times when people are guilty of the charge and a successful conviction could not be obtained in court.

Some people are going to view that ANYONE arrested MUST HAVE DONE IT.... or they would not have been arrested.

There are people who have NEVER been arrested or gone to court... If I had my choice.. I am going to pick the guy who has never been arrested over the other guy. At least the guy never arrested has been smart enough to avoidproblems or so smart that he has never been caught committing a crime. :D

So even dismissed charges can hurt your employment prospects.

nitrovic

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
ChinChin wrote:
"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial"

I question this courts definition of "speedy."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedy_trial

Only federal jurisdictions are effectively bound by speedy trial requirements. Cases are often kept in local jurisdiction to allow for better more lengthy development that feds aren't allowed.

The case of a meth chemist in my old neighborhood hadn't been adjudicated when I moved away five years later. He still lived in the neighborhood, harassed the old ladies and caused me to frequently keep a marked unit parked in front of my residence and to OC discretely off my curtilage for the old ladies' benefit and his.
Doesn't change the fact that *I* question it. :D

I've seen many local cases get dismissed due to speed trial. It's not just for feds.

I don't think you will be convicted of the obstructing if you go to court based on your side of the story. However, I probably would have done the same thing if I was the officer. It's a close call. We still haven't learned what the officer was doing at the scene (I know you say they were there to harrass black kids. Very doubtful). They may have been called there by a citizen to check out suspicious subjects, or a number of other scenarios. Although I think it was a bad decision on you part to go to the scene and disrupt the officers (and I think based on your story you did it with a chip on your shoulder and ready to create a scene, hence the line about the harrassing the black kids comment) I think the obstruction charge won't stick. I wouldn't let them drop it, it will be on your record. Go to trial and be found not-guilty.

Sleepless

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
I will say from "unspecified sources" that many employers in more professional fields will not consider applicants that have had any arrests. Even if no convictions.

Yes, it's illegal to do that, but who's gonna catch them?

How would it be if you had arrests in another country before you moved to the US but never any convictions, because my lawyers told me that when I am asked if I had ever been arrested or had any convictions here in Canada then I should answer in the negative.

nitrovic

imported post

peter nap wrote:
It's not over yet. I doubt the officer is coming back and it is curious that he left when he did.

Ay any rate I expect the Commonwealth will try to Noll Pross the case instead of dismissing it. This is where having a lawyer would pay off. You will need to insist that the Commonwealth either produce the witness, or Dismiss the charge.

Unless the Commonwealth had a good excuse, you should have insisted on the dismissal this past date.

Noll Pross is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...but it ain't absolution!

Now after a year, they won't be able to bring it back up....but it will still appear that the Commonwealth was letting you off with a warning.

One of the members brought up the statute of limitations in Virginia at the last VCDL meeting. He said that there is no statute of limitation in Va. This isn't correct.

In misdemeanors the limitation is generally a year.
One notable exception is petit larceny. That is 5 years. In the BMWAG case, I'm pretty sure it is a year.

Foster vs Commonwealth Case number o50510 January 13, 2006
Supreme Court
of Va
Exactly right.