Thread: Va. Joins 30 States In Opposing D.C. Gun Ban

, Maryland, USA

Post imported post

Does this mean that D.C. could actually be wrong after all these years?! It's kind of ironic I can carry in just over 30 states, but not D.C. Coincidence...I think not.

Va. Joins 30 States In Opposing D.C. Gun Ban

RICHMOND, Va. -- Virginia has joined 30 states in opposing the D.C. gun ban before the U.S. Supreme Court.

Virginia signed on to a brief in support of the individual right to bear arms that was filed on Monday.

The court is scheduled to hear oral arguments in the case on March 18. The justices will examine the 31-year-old ban on handguns, one of the strictest gun-control laws in the nation.

A federal appeals court struck down the ban in March as incompatible with the Second Amendment.

The lawmakers who signed are mostly Republicans, but nine Democrats in the Senate and 68 in the House joined them.

At issue is whether the Second Amendment of the Constitution protects an individual's right to own guns or instead merely sets forth the collective right of states to maintain militias.

posted from:

Northern VA, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Here's a link to the brief:

I really like the way Texas gets their name at the start of the list!

Texas, Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming
    (The reason for this is because it's actually Texas' brief, joined by the other 29 states.)

Campaign Veteran
    Laveen, Arizona, USA

Post imported post

I wonder if there is a way to find out why any particular state didn't sign on. Of course I'm really curious why mine(AZ) didn't bother to join in. I can only imagine it's due to our anti-gun governor.