• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I had neven open carried, not in uniform until, friday.

utahglock

imported post

So this last Friday I was able to over the cold nerves, and put my glock in holster on my belt and open carry a little bit, I was a bit nervious as I had never open carried, while not in a Security Officer uniform, as I am an Armed Security Officer, I went to ZCMI mall food court, there where no signs prohibbiting weapons, I entered ordered some food, sat down at a table, where i ate my food, i was there for a good 40 mins or so, waiting for my husband to get off work, ZCMI security (IPC International) walked by a few times, but never said anything, the security officer only glared once at my glock. but never said anything, however i did get a few looks from customers, and an employee at one of the resturants. but no one said a thing.

So i guess other then the looks, it all went well, i thought i would share this experience for you guys :)

xmirage2kx

imported post

Congrats, and keep up the good work. One day You will end up OC-ing and be amazed when someone says something instead of when people don't.

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

swillden

imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
Congrats, and keep up the good work. One day You will end up OC-ing and be amazed when someone says something instead of when people don't.
I've been OC'ing for a few weeks and finally got my first comment. It wasn't negative, just curious. I was at Javier's in Ogden (the one just off Wall Ave.).

While my wife was paying for our lunch at the register in front, I was reading the newspaper clippings on the wall. The owner and his daughter were track stars and have a whole bunch of newspaper clippings about it on the wall.

While I was reading, the waitress walked by and asked me "Es de verdad?" (Is it real?). I wasn't sure what she meant and at my puzzled expression, she elaborated, pointing her chin[1] at my hip "Su arma. Es de verdad?" (Your weapon. Is it real?). I said "Sí, claro" (Yes, of course) and smiled. She smiled back, nodded at me and went about her business. Her tone and expression didn't indicate any concern, just interest.

After two to three dozen visits to restaurants, stores and schools, that's the only verbal response I've gotten. I've had a few strange looks.

[1] When Latinos point with their head, they motion sharply with the chin where we kind of point with the top of the head. Americans unfamiliar with this motion often mistake it for an aggressive/rude gesture, since that's what the same motion represents in our body language.

swillden

imported post

I spent some time thinking about it, and the only explanation I could come up with is that maybe the questioner believes that (1) carrying a gun is illegal and (2) the carrier doesn't look like someone who would do something illegal. It would be weird if the gun were fake, but it would resolve the conflict.

If the gun is real, one or both of the beliefs must be re-evaluated. Since a UHP trooper was in the restaurant eating when I came in, and I openly carried right past him, I imagine she decided that it must be legal for me to carry.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome the site and congrats on OC for the first time; it was pretty nerve racking for me the first time. All I got was just looks also.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

swillden wrote:
Since a UHP trooper was in the restaurant eating when I came in, and I openly carried right past him, I imagine she decided that it must be legal for me to carry.
In my experience, UHP are some of the MOST well informed peace officers when it comes to gun laws. The ones at the capital do an excellent job.

Two of the Lt. Gov's security detail (carrying the full auto Glock 18) from the UHP are responsible for one the most positive non-encounters I've ever had while OC. Last night of the session last year I was OCing when a UHP trooper approached and asked in the most low-key and friendly voice you can imagine if he knew me. He didn't look familiar so I did the usual, "I don't think so, where are you from" routine before I realized that we had never met and he knew it. But that was the easiest way to do a quick assessment of whether he might want to give me any special attention while his protectee was present.

I think I realized his intent about the moment he decided I was not in need of any extra scrutiny. I introduced myself and he and his partner went about their business. He never even asked for ID, much less a permit.

Years ago I was stopped between Kanab and Page for no front plate by the UHP. Turns out a lot of stolen cars headed for Mexico have no front plate so they vigorously stop such cars on that stretch. I was headed to a summer job during my college years and my car was piled high. I had a couple of boxes of ammon on the rear floor, visible from the window. The trooper asked if I had any guns, I said I did and that they were cased in the back seat under all my other crap. He quickly ran my tags and papers and finding nothing amiss sent me on my way with a written warning on the front plate and not another word about guns.

Reports from others have tended to confirm my opinion of the UHP doing a fine job with Utah's gun laws.

utahglock

imported post

packingmama wrote:
Welcome the site and congrats on OC for the first time; it was pretty nerve racking for me the first time. All I got was just looks also.

Not my first time on the site, ive been lurking for awhile now just never made an account :)

I figured i would they day, i decided to OC, to share my expierences

curtisdude

imported post

Hey everyone, its my first post. I must say I didn't realize until being interested with the latest newsflash, and finding this sitethat OCC was allowed already...Wow, this is awesome! I must try it, but there's gotta be so freaked out looks! What's the limits to OCC? Obviously OCC'n an M11 would get attention. Very weird this is kept so quiet. I swear even when I took the concealed permit course, that's what the instructor taught (concealed). Thanks in advance.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

curtisdude wrote:
Hey everyone, its my first post. I must say I didn't realize until being interested with the latest newsflash, and finding this sitethat OCC was allowed already...Wow, this is awesome! I must try it, but there's gotta be so freaked out looks! What's the limits to OCC? Obviously OCC'n an M11 would get attention. Very weird this is kept so quiet. I swear even when I took the concealed permit course, that's what the instructor taught (concealed). Thanks in advance.
OC (Open Carry) has ALWAYS been legal here in Utah. There is now law against it. It a misconception among ALOT of Firearms Instructors that just because you have a "Concealed"Permit it has to ALWAYS be concealed. (CC=Concealed Carry)

WRONG...

Read Title 76-10-505

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle;
(b) on any public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

Amended by Chapter 328, 1990 General Session
Download Code Section Zipped WP 6/7/8 76_0C034.ZIP 1,712 Bytes

[line]

Sections in this Chapter|Chapters in this Title|All Titles|Legislative Home Page

Last revised: Friday, February 08, 2008

"Unless otherwise authorized by law," means that a Permit Holder has been authorized by BCI ( The State of Utah ) to be able to carry a Loaded Firearm and if not having a "Permit" has to carry it "Utah Loaded", meaning a mag in the gun but NOT chambered.

Read the link below that is adding some clarification to the Law.

House committee OK'S gun bill

"(3) "Concealed firearm permit" means a permit issued pursuant to Section 53-5-704 that permits, but does not require, concealment of the firearm on the permittee."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

76-10-500. Uniform law.
(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state. Except as specifically provided by state law, a citizen of the United States or a lawfully admitted alien shall not be:
(a) prohibited from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping any firearm at his place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in his possession or lawfully under his control; or
(b) required to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(2) This part is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities. All authority to regulate firearms shall be reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities. Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or rule pertaining to firearms.

Enacted by Chapter 5, 1999 General Session
Download Code Section Zipped WP 6/7/8 76_0C029.ZIP 2,221 Bytes

[line]

Sections in this Chapter|Chapters in this Title|All Titles|Legislative Home Page

Last revised: Friday, February 08, 2008

TJ