• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA-ALERT: RESTAURANT BAN REPEAL PASSES SENATE!!! ETA HAS PASSED THE HOUSE ONTO THE GOVERNORS DESK!!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think we can still fix this bill. However, I'm wondering how it will work if it does become law.

As to the this informing process, I think I might print up some cards to use as my informing device. A card in someones hand is a good protection should someone claim they weren't informed. I know if its concealed how could they claim they weren't informed , but you never know. Might be a good opportunity for our side as this forced interaction puts our message out and if they refuse we can always hand them no guns no money cards.

As for the imbibing penalty well you can just switch to OC to avoid it and being intoxicated while concealing is already illegal as others have said.

I can see some pain for OCers as restaurant staff will be confused as to do. As well as this galvanizing the CHP holders who will naturally dislike informing, which could also be a good thing in the long run. We will see.

Anyone just going to continue to OC because of this? I think I probably will.

How's this for a card?

This is to inform you as
required by Virginia Code
18.2-308 J3, that I have a
concealed handgun permit
and I am presently carrying
a firearm.

Tricorn

imported post

The bill is not perfect, but it is a good start.

I want to know how we recognize the "designated employee" we are to notify. Will he/she be wearing a VCDL or OCDO cap? Maybe a big "Guns Saves Lives" button? I would not want to notify the wrong person and be in violation of the law.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I think we can still fix this bill. However, I'm wondering how it will work if it does become law.

As to the this informing process, I think I might print up some cards to use as my informing device. A card in someones hand is a good protection should someone claim they weren't informed. I know if its concealed how could they claim they weren't informed , but you never know. Might be a good opportunity for our side as this forced interaction puts our message out and if they refuse we can always hand them no guns no money cards.

As for the imbibing penalty well you can just switch to OC to avoid it and being intoxicated while concealing is already illegal as others have said.

I can see some pain for OCers as restaurant staff will be confused as to do. As well as this galvanizing the CHP holders who will naturally dislike informing, which could also be a good thing in the long run. We will see.

How's this for a card?

This is to inform you as
required by Virginia Code
18.2-308 J3, that I have a
concealed handgun permit
and I am presently carrying
a firearm.
You might say "legally carrying a firearm."

vrwmiller

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I will continue to OC if this bill is enacted with the "inform" clause.

It would be nice to have the option to conceal my firearm when I feel it would be more appropriate to do so.

DeadCenter

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
sccrref wrote:
dixiehacker wrote:
VCDL President wrote:
Everybody be patient, the fat lady hasn't sang yet. The bill is alive and that gives us a chance to fix it.
Thanks for working your posterior off on this one. All of us gun owners in Virginia owe you a great deal.
+1
Ok. . .I've been critical of VCDL in the past, but this year they've gone above and beyond the call.

Bravo -- They have my support. My thanks to Philip for fighting the battle everyday. And to all those behind the scenes who fight the battle for me and all of you.

DC

DeadCenter

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
longwatch wrote:
I will continue to OC if this bill is enacted with the "inform" clause.

It would be nice to have the option to conceal my firearm when I feel it would be more appropriate to do so.

This is exactly how I feel if it goes through as written.

I think the "notify" amendment needs to be removed. No need to notify. I believe if there is a wave of people notifying, you will see no gun signs going up real quick. If that were to happen, your OC right would no longer be a right. Just like smoking is no longer your right in certain locations.

DC

Marco

imported post

I'll continue to OC, regardless of the outcome.
Rights are a wonderful thing.

Agreed.
My Grandpa told/taught me to love and protect them.
This came from a man(he was born in 1899)that was denied so many things I/we take for granted.

I praise VCDL every chance I get, to all that will listen.

Edit:
The option to CC would be nice, however I enjoy OC'ing.

TheEggman

imported post

Since THOUSANDS more people are killed by drunk drivers than drunk CC holders, I'd like to propose some new legislation.

When a person will be driving a motor vehicle away from a qualifying establishment, they MUST notify a DESIGNATED employee that they are in control of said vehicle.

From that point on it is the SOLE responsibility of the restaurant and/or their employees to monitor the alcohol consumption of the subject driver while on their premises.

Since the number of people murdered by drunk CC holders vs. Drivers Permit Holders is so statistically insignificant as to be zero, much greater good would be served by my proposed legislation. Remember, driving is a PRIVELEGE while Self Defense is a RIGHT!

Just think of the innocent children it could save.

HYPOTHETICAL TIME: --- WHAT IF ...

A CCarrier notifies, as required, and the 'designated' person errs, goes on break, doesn't keep a proper record, fails to notify their replacement, or whatever, is the RESTAURANT responsible for any damage done by the patron? Even if a shooting was completely justified and ruled so by the courts, the restaurant could easily become party to the civil suit launched by the criminal scum.

They are under the Dram Shop laws in some states where vehicles are concerned.

If there was EVER a legal snake waiting to strike the unsuspecting this looks like one.

If I were the owner of the establishment, I WOULD NOT WANT TO KNOW!

Also, as part of the 'body of the people' we are all members of the Virginia Citizen Militia.

If I were to do it with a card, I'd be sure to have the state seal on it, along with words similar to

Member - Commonwealth of Virginia - Citizen Militia

Alexandria Circuit Court [or authority responsible for your permit] Authorization Number: (permit number here)

Duly Authorized and Permitted By (Name of the judge or clerk who signed your permit.)

Perhaps when I get bored I'll make up a few templates.

If they don't like it and ask me to leave then perhaps I can help their cause by leaving one of these in their window.

crime_zone.gif

Egg

Marco

imported post

Received moments ago.

Regarding my votes for SB476 Restaurant Concealed Carry‏

district37@sov.state.va.us

Sent:
Wed 2/13/08 10:23 AM

To:
district37@sov.state.va.us

Bcc: :XXXXXXXXXXX@hotmail.com]XXXXXXXXXXX@hotmail.com[/url]

[font="Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]

Thank you for contacting me regarding SB 476. As you probably know, I voted for this bill in Courts of Justice committee and yesterday in the Senated. It isa commonsense bill to correct our concealed carry permit law as it relates to restaurants and clubs. I am pleased to say that the bill passed the Senate 24-15 and now goes to the House, where it should do well. Under this new law, individuals may go into a restaurant with their concealed weapon, so long as they do not consume alcohol in the restaurant. Please feel free to contact me in the future should you need more information on this or any other topic.]

Sincerely,[/font]

Ken Cuccinelli

Scheetz

imported post

Well, since notify is not stated with a how you will.

I would go about it this way:

Waitress: What would you like to drink.
Me: I am carrying, so I will have a water (or soda).

Seems like its notification to me.

fairfax1

imported post

This quote was taken from novaDAK who posted this over at glocktalk: :lol:

Would it be bad if you walk into the restaurant wearing a smart carry, and say to the young female waitress that "I have a weapon" while pointing towards your crotch?

Forty-five

imported post

Of course,the designated employee of the restaurant will be on break, out sick, or otherwise unable to locate. Sorry come back later.

The ban is idiotic, and so is the "inform" clause. I do not have to inform any designated employee that I drove a car to the restaurant that serves alcohol on the premises.

nova

imported post

fairfax1 wrote:

Would it be bad if you walk into the restaurant wearing a smart carry, and say to the young female waitress that "I have a weapon" while pointing towards your crotch?
hehe that was me...when I registered on this site I left off the "DAK" part of the name for some reason...

eyesopened

imported post

nova wrote:
fairfax1 wrote:

hehe that was me...when I registered on this site I left off the "DAK" part of the name for some reason...

So when you want to OC it, do you say, "Excuse me while I whip this out?" :celebrate

This legislature is a step in the right direction. Kudos to VCDL and the other elected officials working to pass it. Piss on the other officials trying to sandbar it...

psmartin

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
nova wrote:
fairfax1 wrote:

So when you want to OC it, do you say, "Excuse me while I whip this out?" :celebrate

This legislature is a step in the right direction. Kudos to VCDL and the other elected officials working to pass it. Piss on the other officials trying to sandbar it...
I had to draft a letter to my representatives about my displeasure with the "mother may I" amendment, but it is a good step..

Currently, it is "flat out illegal" to conceal carry in a restaurant serving alcohol.. at least there's a bit of ambiguity of "who do you tell" -- at most restaurants you're scraping the bottom of the barrel of common sense

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

eyesopened wrote:

I agree, a step in the right direction is welcome , at least by me. For one thing, it will make picking up good take out food MUCH easier for me.

nova

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
nova wrote:
fairfax1 wrote:

haha I've never said that one before but I've heard others make that comment :lol: