• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County shooting park under attack!

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

From NRA-ILA:

Nevada’s Clark County Shooting Park Under Attack
Public Meeting to be Held Tomorrow Night! A group of homeowners who have recently moved into North Las Vegas, just south of the new Clark County Shooting Park, are attempting to stop the range from opening in 2009 by claiming that they were unaware of the range site when they purchased their homes.

Home owners of Carmel Canyon and La Ventina communities have requested a meeting with county officials to voice their opposition to the range. They have invited members of the media in the hopes of stirring up emotion and dissent by claiming the public doesn't support the range, despite the fact that it has been in the planning and construction stages since 2003.

The meeting will be held at 7:00 pm on Wednesday, February 13th at the Aliante Public Library located at 2400 West Deer Springs Road in North Las Vegas (just south of the 215 and the Aliante exit, on the north east corner of Deer Springs and Aliante Parkway).

Please plan to attend this important meeting. It is vital that NRA members and the recreational shooting community attend the meeting and let the homeowners and county officials know that this IS a publicly supported range that will benefit all of Clark County.

Erus

imported post

Responded to this info on another forum thus:

(Silly urbanites, buying homes in a rustic setting like this. Ought to try actually LOOKING/Researching the area you're buying in first)

Why not use the FREE outdoor Nevada desert and shoot when/how/with whom you like? Just past Nelson coming from Boulder City towards Searchlight/Laughlin.

Reminds me of when I was young shooting up West Charleston/Apex/East Lake Mead, etc. Open Range, no fee, legal, and whiner-free. Like God intended it.

DIRECTIONS: Take U.S. 93/95 south from Boulder City 12.4
miles to Eldorado Valley Drive.

You will be turning left
through two white triangle markers (cow catcher gates) into the desert.

Follow the short dirt road to the large flat area which has a huge
mound of dirt on it.

You will see a road on your left
(north/northeast). Take that approx. one third mile to a large
cylindrical concrete tower (see picture on left).

You can park there and shoot or start hiking south east to the mountains
or the flat area which will be easy to notice on your left.

Just like the good old days here in So. NV.

I was there with the kids last Sunday and it was perfect.

(sorry for the font goofy)

Erus

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Attorney General might be unable to help with the Boulder City problem, but one of the primary goals of the AG office is to enforce the OPEN MEETINGS laws. Depending on how things go, a complaint with the AG might squash any action that comes from that meeting if the ruling goes against the range, as proponents were not allowed to participate in the meeting.

Desert Rat

imported post

If I understand this correctly, the meeting was hosted by the HOA. That being the case they don't fall under OML.

In any event I would think a prudent homeowner would do a bit of investigating prior to putting down hard money.:question:A quick call to the Planning Commission would probably have revealed plans for a shooting facility and a lot of other things.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just another "victim" of the housing market, one I don't feel sorry for. I'm in my own bad place because of the house I bought when I bought for how much I paid. Not that I would consider myself a victim if I lived nearby this place --- BONUS!! But only a few years ago, several competing offers above list price would be submitted mere hours after it went on the market. There was no time for due diligence. Buyer beware.