• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Rifle

Deovin1

imported post

I was up shooting in the mountains and the police responded because a neighbor wasn't happyabout the noise. Anyhow, I was told by the deputy that I couldn't carry my rifle in the car with it loaded or with the ammo easily accessible. Is this correct? I have never heard this before and haven't seen any laws that say it is illegal. Any help I can get would be great! Thanks!

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

There is no laws against loaded rifle carry in one's car in Oregon. there's certainly that law in Washington and California.

File a complaint with the department.

sedjester

imported post

Here is the law that lets cities and counties regulate loaded firearms.

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8]
And here is the law that regulates concealed "handguns" in vehicles.

166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;
(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or
(c) Possesses a firearm and:
(A) Is under 18 years of age; <snip>
I could not find any law that bans the carry of rifles, loaded or unloaded, in one's car.

Phssthpok

imported post

Be aware that there may be HUNTING regulations that prohibit having a loaded rifle in the car.

Phssthpok

imported post

Not off the top of my head.

I just seem to recall reading something to that effect in the regulations booklet a few years back when on a deer/elk hunting trip down there.

Deovin1

imported post

I called and requested to talk to the deputy. I got his voice mail so I will let you know what happens when he calls me back.

Deovin1

imported post

No. Unless a Toyota Camry is considered an ATV!

I was getting into my car after shooting and the deputy was standing right there. I usually take my rifle up front with me with a mag in it so I figured I might as well do it with him there. He told me I couldn't do that with a mag in it. He kept saying that my CHL wouldn't cover it, I told him I knew it wouldn't and I didn't want it to anyway!!! I said it was a rifle and it wasn't concealed so obviously it wouldn't cover it and I knew that. He told me it was illegal for me to carry it that way. He wasn't very helpful about explaining why. I will see what he says when he calls back.

Deovin1

imported post

No. I have left at least 3 messages and called 3 or 4 times and he hasn't responded. We talked to another deputy from the same department and he spent 10 minutes or so looking it up and making some calls to find out if we could carry loaded rifles in the car. He came to the same conclusion you all did. It is legal.

I am very thankful for the one officer who helped me out. I am going to call in and respectfully complain about the other officer just because he isn't responding to calls from a concerned citizen, that's what he is payed to do.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

It would be extremely unusual for someone to answer a question where they would have to admit to being in the wrong. Most people will "conveniently overlook" questions like that on forums, so I don't think a voicemail would fare much better.

The fact that you have asked such a question and the respondent refused to answer is pretty telling, isn't it?

Cremator75

imported post

Deovin1 wrote:
I am very thankful for the one officer who helped me out. I am going to call in and respectfully complain about the other officer just because he isn't responding to calls from a concerned citizen, that's what he is payed to do.

Don't forget to put in a complimaent for the officer that did help. I work in the service industry and the only thing we ever hear are the complaints. People rarely call when they are satisfied.

Deovin1

imported post

I do intend to call the supervisor and tell him how helpful the other officer was. I will also mention that the officer that gave me wrong info was very nice and helpful but shouldn't be spouting off info that is wrong and should (even when wrong) return phone calls. That is what we pay him for. Thanks for the advice! I'll let you all know how it all goes.

Deovin1

imported post

I called the supervisor and talked to him. Evidently the deputy that gave me the wrong information is on medical leave. Hopefully he will get my messages when he gets back.

I did thank the supervisor that both his deputies were polite but just mentioned that the one deputy should have looked up the laws since he obviously didn't know it for sure. I'll let you know if I get a reply.