• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attempt at Ammo Ban (Serialization) in Arizona!

LEO 229

imported post

I have seen this kicked around before as an idea... looks like someone things it is worth making happen.

This is absolutely absurd!! :?

People can always re-load their own ammo and this would allow them to remove the SN. You can always go to another state, buy bullets there, return, and kill people too!!

Does that state have that many unknown shooting deaths that this needs to be done?? What happens if someone breaks into a house and steals the homeowners ammo and kills someone. Do you charge the home owner?

This is the dumbest thing ever!! :lol:

Beau

imported post

I think this bill is an attempt to discourage future gun owners and drive up costs for current owners. This would help the anti's get the desired results of fewer gun purchases and less people carrying.

hsmith

imported post

They keep failing trying to ban guns, so the next logical step is to try and ban bullets.

Quite a good change of tactics on their part.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
swift wrote:
Can you post the text for those of us who can't access blogs from work?

Thanks!

If it were not right this very moment still available on the Arizona Legislature website I would not believe it. Liberal gun grabbing Democrats have sponsored HB 2833 - legislation that would require all ammunition sold in Arizona as of Jan 1 2009 to have unique serial numbers on both the bullet & the INSIDE of each cartridge casing of every single cartridge of all calibers of handgun and so-called "assault weapon" ammunition plus it also stipulates that it applies to all calibers of ammunition (I'm not sure why they even bothered mentioning handguns & assault weapons since they then used a blanket to have the bill apply to all calibers of ammunition). Arizona Citizens would be required to dispose of all existing ammunition that does not have the required serial numbers by Jan 1 2011.

Get a load of this nonsense:

(a) The base of the bullet and the inside of the cartridge casing of each round in a box of ammunition are coded with the same serial number.
(b) Each serial number is engraved in such a manner that it is highly likely to permit identification after ammunition discharge and bullet impact.
How in the world is a manufacturer supposed to put a unique serial number on the INSIDE of a cartridge casing! Additionally, have these morons ever seen what an expelled bullet looks like after impact? They actually expect a serial number to be identifiable? Unbelievable!

All environmentalists should be outraged at the fact that shell casings which are currently reused many times & then recycled would no longer be reusable since they would have a unique serial number on them that can not be removed or destroyed under penalty of law. Hello Arizona landfill from billions of unusable shell casings.

It would also add a 1/2 cent tax to every single round of ammunition sold. A 550 round box of .22 caliber handgun ammunition would have $2.75 added for this tax on top of the normal retail cost & the other taxes that we already pay. A case of 5000 rounds of ammunition would have an extra tax of $25! Of course that would be NOTHING compared to the huge increase in manufacturing costs if any manufacturer managed to comply with the ridiculous requirements.

Every vendor that sells Ammo to Arizona residents would be required to register with the Arizona DPS, record the date of each transaction, purchaser name, Drivers license number or Social Security #, birth date, serial numbers of all cartridges sold, plus all other information requested by DPS. With that open end DPS could also ask for my Mother's maiden name or for my mailing address or the names of all future unborn children. Seems fairly wide open to me. It would also require the Arizona DPS to create & maintain a database to contain all of this information. Vendors would be required to keep all of these records for a minimum of 3 years on the business premises. Manufacturers would be required to maintain records for 7 years on their business premises.

Listed Bill sponsors are Representative Martha Garcia (Democrat), Representative Linda Lopez (Democrat), Representative Manuel Alvarez (Democrat), Representative David Bradley (Democrat), & Representative Cloves Cambell Jr. (Democrat).

This bill is so absurd that it is obvious that this is simply a back door attempt to ban all ammunition sales in Arizona, effectively disarming all law abiding citizens, which would only leave the criminals armed with their black market illegal ammo. If you are an Arizona resident, please contact your representative to ask that they strongly oppose this ridiculous bill.

tarzan1888

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Isn't Arizona a generally more gun-friendly state than most?

:?

It is and this probably won't go any where, BUT. Arizona is only one of many states that are starting to introduce similar bills and it is an alarming trend. California was first with a similar law, where the guns have to imprint a code on the fired shell casing. This is the next logical step and has only one goal. A gun is no good if you can't get bullets.

Tarzan

imperialism2024

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Isn't Arizona a generally more gun-friendly state than most?

:?

It is and this probably won't go any where, BUT. Arizona is only one of many states that are starting to introduce similar bills and it is an alarming trend. California was first with a similar law, where the guns have to imprint a code on the fired shell casing. This is the next logical step and has only one goal. A gun is no good if you can't get bullets.

Since I posted that, I saw over on the PAFOA forums that apparently a similar bill is being introduced in PA.

But hmpf, a good reason to stockpile ammo, I guess...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So what happens if the ammunition manufacturers say to CA and other states that pass these microprinting laws, "We just won't sell ammo in your states then." ? Does that discourage future such laws and lead to those laws being over turned either because of political outrage from the shooting community or because of LE headaches over non-compliant ammo being driven in from other states? Or does it empower other 2A politicians to shove it through in other places?

imperialism2024

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
So what happens if the ammunition manufacturers say to CA and other states that pass these microprinting laws, "We just won't sell ammo in your states then." ? Does that discourage future such laws and lead to those laws being over turned either because of political outrage from the shooting community or because of LE headaches over non-compliant ammo being driven in from other states? Or does it empower other 2A politicians to shove it through in other places?

Hmm I believe I got flamed when I suggested a while ago that gun manufacturers stop selling to LE in states who enforce these overly strict gun laws. It seems like a good idea to me... use the same tactics against the government that they use against their own citizens.