• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Az Open carry shotgun???

crtbc

imported post

What are the laws reguarding open carry shotgun???? I know for a pistol you need to have it in a holster otherwise it's considered brandishing.... does the shotgun need a sling or whats the deal??

Thanks

bbvk05

imported post

People do it all day long when hunting, but be very careful if you plan to do it in an urban area.

You should be ready and willing to be hassled and/or arrested by the police. Practice keeping your hands away from the gun and carefully follow the commands of the police when they confront you. edit: keep it on a sling and do not touch it with your hands would likely build your best case for not brandishing.

That said, any gun that is legally owned may be carried openly in arizona. holding it in your hands may be considered brandishing by the police as holding a gun can be easily construed to be threatening.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. good luck.

azcdlfred

imported post

crtbc wrote:
What are the laws reguarding open carry shotgun???? I know for a pistol you need to have it in a holster otherwise it's considered brandishing.... does the shotgun need a sling or whats the deal??

Per ARS 13-3102.F your shotgun must be carried in abelt holster. There is nothing in the law that allows a sling or any other method of carry (unless you have a CCW permit). Regardles of the weapon it must be carried in a belt holster.

Fred

bbvk05

imported post

does this mean it is illegal to carry a shotgun outside of a hoster when hunting?

protector84

imported post

No that is not what the law says. The law simply says that the concealed carry permit law does not apply to weapons carried in a belt holster in which at least part of the holster is visible. It doesn't say that weapons MUST be carried in a belt holster. No where does it say that. Please don't confuse the words "does not apply to" with "must."

azcdlfred

imported post

protector84 wrote:
No that is not what the law says. The law simply says that the concealed carry permit law does not apply to weapons carried in a belt holster in which at least part of the holster is visible. It doesn't say that weapons MUST be carried in a belt holster. No where does it say that. Please don't confuse the words "does not apply to" with "must."
Thanks for restating it better.

Jared

imported post

Fred is dead accurate.

Any legally owned weapon/firearm may be carried openly without a permit; HOWEVER, open carry is defined as being in a belt holster with at least part of the holster being visible (yes the firearm can actually be concealed for open carry). If the firearm/ weapon is carried in ANY other manner, it is considered concealed and any CCW will qualify you. In Arizpna, sometimes open carry can actually be concealed carry and concealed carry can actually be open carry.

Hunting and things of that nature are covered under different sections of law.

bbvk05

imported post

Thats what I thought. there is just additional protection for guns carried in a belt holster.