• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying with Guns

Texaschl

imported post

I have a Class in Triangle Va. in mid March and was wondering how hard is it to flight with my guns checked with my Bags?? I have a 1911,870,and my M-4 (class 3) I am buying the ammo there as its way to much to ship or fly with.

the Airport that I am flying into and out of is Reagan (DCA)

any help here?

Texaschl

ChronoSphere

imported post

If you want to get exact details, call your airline. But basically, lock the gun in a hard case, have it unloaded (or better yet disassembled so there's no question) and make sure it can be locked and that you have a key or combo to it.

Place it in your luggage (that is again lockable) and go to the counter where you check in the bags. Inform the person at the counter that you wish to declare a firearm in a checked bagged. They'll take it from there (verify that is in indeed unloaded and in a hard locked case, they'll relock it and put a red tag on it, and inform TSA about it).

The one time I did it with Delta it went off without a hitch (FL to AZ and back) but your milage may vary.

DeerForce1

imported post

Isn't the Reagan airport inside of DC? If it is getting the gun back to the airport & checked in could become a major problem. Remember firearm possesion in DC is illegal. Declaring them at a DC airport could get you ALOT of unwanted attention from TSA & DC police.

If your flying in & out of Va it's pretty much exactly what Chronosphere described. If you can get the declaration form in advance & fill it out ahead of timeit willsave some time at the airport. I believe you can print out the form for some airline on their web sites. Remember the gun case should have your own lock on it NOT a TSA lock...........................................................DF1

Texaschl

imported post

I called the BAFT&E and they stated that my M-4 is legal to fly with as long as I have the proper paperwork the TAX STAMP which I do. I will remove the bolt from the M-4 and place it in a different part of my bag. I think Reagan is in VA. as that's what there web page says.

I hope this is not going to be a 8 hour ordeal to get my guns to VA.and home.

Thanks all

Texaschl

imported post

Thanks , I am good to go ,if I have any spare time I guess I will have look around .

is there any places for a Texan to go and get a good steak ??

Thanks again

acrimsontide

imported post

I would be very cautions with checking your firearms. Even with the legalities properly covered, there is still the risk of theft! I have had my checked luggage gone through and afterwards it appeared they had just crammed the clothes back in. You might want to consider shipping valuable firearms to yourself by FedEX so they could be insured. (Be sure to check with them for shipping legalities as they probably are different from checking firearms with a commercial airline. Just something for thought.

Legba

imported post

I'm not sure, but there may be some extra procedure for transporting NFA (so-called "class 3") guns interstate. I'd definitely get a ruling from ATF or FBI or some such federal authority about the particulars. You may have to inform the local jurisdictions before your arrival as well.

-ljp

swillden

imported post

acrimsontide wrote:
I would be very cautions with checking your firearms. Even with the legalities properly covered, there is still the risk of theft!
Not that much, IMO. The TSA takes a lot of care with luggage that contains firearms, if for no ther reason than the negative publicity that would result from losing one inside the "sterile" area.

I know a photographer who packs a gun with his expensive camera gear specifically so that it will get this kid glove treatment.

hsmith

imported post

Texaschl wrote:
Thanks , I am good to go ,if I have any spare time I guess I will have look around .

is there any places for a Texan to go and get a good steak ??

Thanks again
I highly recommend Ray's The Steaks in Arlington VA between the Rosylnn and Courthouse Metro stops. Possibly the best steaks you will find in the area. Get there early though - they don't take reservations. If you get there at 4:30 and put your name down you can usually get any time you want. The girl at the front will be brash, but don't take offense, she deals with rude people all night.

Last time i went at 6 to get a table, the next open table was 9:30!

Texaschl

imported post

I just got off the Phone with BATF&E and they stated that all I have to do is have the Tax stamp with the paperwork and the Local Law enforcement is already notified as this class is at the FBI Academy.

Class 3 is not the problem, and the instructor that I spoke with is saying that FED-EX and UPS will not allow me to ship it to myself with out it going thru a FFL that deals with Class 3 guns.

So its going to fly with my.

All this so I can do Homeland security work

Thanks for all the help

LEO 229

imported post

Legba wrote:
I'm not sure, but there may be some extra procedure for transporting NFA (so-called "class 3") guns interstate. I'd definitely get a ruling from ATF or FBI or some such federal authority about the particulars. You may have to inform the local jurisdictions before your arrival as well.

-ljp
To take a class III gun out of state you do have to request permission from the BATF first.

It is my understanding that thegive you a document that allows you to traveland it is my understanding that it prevents you from being prosecuted in states that have a ban on certain class III items as long as youstayonly for rest during the trip and not to visit or sight-see.

VAopencarry

imported post

Texaschl wrote:
I just got off the Phone with BATF&E and they stated that all I have to do is have the Tax stamp with the paperwork and the Local Law enforcement is already notified as this class is at the FBI Academy.
So how is it that local law enforcement is already notified?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] Moving Registered NFA [/font][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Firearms Interstate[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Individuals other than qualified Federal firearms licensees must obtain permission from ATF prior to temporarily or permanently moving a machine-gun, short-barreled shotgun, short-barreled rifle, or destructive device interstate. To obtain permission to move these firearms, please submit to ATF either a letter requesting permission to move them or an ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms. This form is available at the ATF Internet website or may be obtained by contacting the NFA Branch. If you are submitting the request by letter, please include the:[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]• Name of registrant;
• The firearm(s);
• The current location of the firearm(s);
• The location to which the firearm(s) will be transported;
• The date(s) and means of transportation (car, plane, boat, etc.); and
• The reason the firearm is being moved.
[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Please also indicate in the letter whether: (1) the move is temporary or permanent; (2) the move will involve a transfer of the title; and (3) whether the possession of the firearm will violate local or State law at the destination. The ATF Form 5320.20 includes these requirements. Requests for interstate transportation will be denied by ATF if possession of the firearm at the destination will violate State or local law. [/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Registrants do not have to obtain permission from ATF to move a silencer or “any other weapon” interstate. However, if a registrant’s address for these types of firearms changes after registration with ATF, please notify the NFA Branch in writing of the new address, so the NFRTR can reflect the registrant’s correct address.[/font]
http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/nfab/index.htm[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]

DeerForce1

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
DeerForce1 wrote:
Isn't the Reagan airport inside of DC?
Good question sir, but the short answer is NO. RR is located just outside Crystal City in Arlington, Virginia. We took our land back from DC long ago!

I couldn't remember which side of the line it was on. I was thinking on the wrong side but then again i make it a special effort to avoid flying thru, driving thru or for that matter flying over anything up that way. :D

Thanks for the correction............................................................DF1

Texaschl

imported post

Thanks VAopencarry, I talked to the right folks today in San Antonio office and got the right form to transport it with. the lady in the houston office was really wrong and would of get me in to a big mess.

Thanks

imperialism2024

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
To take a class III gun out of state you do have to request permission from the BATF first.

Or just throw it in your trunk and drive there :uhoh:

Naturally, I'm not serious. One must make sure to ask permission from the government to purchase and then transport arms. There's physically no other way to do it. That's why criminals and terrorists don't have guns, selective-fire or otherwise.