• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restricted Places

swillden

imported post

Morris wrote:
You'll look like a moron open carrying at a cop job fair. Seriously. You may get applications but you'll stand out and it may not be positive. You will also deal with the mis-informed.
That this is true just shows how much work needs to be done to educate LEOs.

ATCer

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
ATCer wrote: Yano, naively-enough, that hadn't even crossed my mind... that's a great point.

I mean, we've all seen Mission Impossible 1, right?.....
Whatever you do... DON'T CHEW THE GUM!

Morris

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, US
imported post

That this is true just shows how much work needs to be done to educate LEOs.
Not so much that but you will get marked as rather enthusiastic or a screwball. Nothing against you or any OC'er, just that the fairs can and often do get some real winners coming through.

Of course, if you are asked about it, you could educate but there are enough liberals out there that they will still find it odd or (gasp) offensive.

spike89

imported post

mnormand wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and this thread was definately what I needed to read up about. I'm an active duty Army Officer and I will be up in the Seattle/Mountlake Terrace area visiting my fiance in the next couple of weeks. After two combat tours in Iraq I feel naked and helpless without a weapon and your state leaves me no choice but to open carry since they won't recognize my Florida resident CCL. I appreciate everyones' advice and hope to see a few of you out there. I'll be rocking a Kimber 1911 with a Desantis C&L. Take care.

Might as well also just apply for a non-resident WA CPL. Just go to the nearest police station when you get here. Could take up to 60 days.

I think it is still 60 bucks.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

http://www.ci.mountlake-terrace.wa.us/cityServices/police/FAQ.htm

http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/Departments/Sheriff/Information/concealed_weapons.htm

Edit to add: P.S. Thank you for your service to our country.

G27

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
MNormand,

Try contacting the Kitsap County Sheriff's office in Port Orchard. I've had they issue licenses on the spot.

-Lonnie

I can vouch for that. In and out in no more than 30 minutes, IIRC. There is also one in office in Silverdale. Or even in Kingston if you wanna take a ferry across.

Also MNormand, if you're claiming Florida Residency because of no state income tax you might want to become a Washington Resident. Same thing applies here.

mnormand

imported post

I'm not a Florida resident because of the income tax. I grew up there and it technically is still my home of record until I get out of the Army. Good to know about Washington though.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Morris wrote:
You'll look like a moron open carrying at a cop job fair. Seriously. You may get applications but you'll stand out and it may not be positive. You will also deal with the mis-informed.

Morris, very true. If nothing else, you could possibly be marked as a person wanting the job only because of the status and power that go along with it. I interviewed a prospective reserve officer and when asked why he wanted to be a LEO....he responded " 'cause I like guns and sirens and hate crooks"

did not get the job.

Jim

Attachments

• St Helens #2.jpg
    St Helens #2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 234

Bear 45/70

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Morris wrote:

Morris, very true. If nothing else, you could possibly be marked as a person wanting the job only because of the status and power that go along with it. I interviewed a prospective reserve officer and when asked why he wanted to be a LEO....he responded " 'cause I like guns and sirens and hate crooks"

did not get the job.

Jim
Yep, they would rather hire someone who lies about why they want to be a cop than someone honest ehough to tell he truth.
rolleyes.gif

spike89

imported post

G27 wrote:
Lonnie Wilson wrote:
MNormand,

Try contacting the Kitsap County Sheriff's office in Port Orchard.  I've had they issue licenses on the spot.

-Lonnie

I can vouch for that. In and out in no more than 30 minutes, IIRC. There is also one in office in Silverdale. Or even in Kingston if you wanna take a ferry across.

I got my license in Kingston... 30 minutes for the paperwork and fingerprinting, but license took a week or two to be mailed.

-Mike

sailarmy

imported post

spike89 wrote:
G27 wrote:
Lonnie Wilson wrote:
MNormand,

Try contacting the Kitsap County Sheriff's office in Port Orchard. I've had they issue licenses on the spot.

-Lonnie

I got my license in Kingston... 30 minutes for the paperwork and fingerprinting, but license took a week or two to be mailed.

-Mike
got my CPL in Silverdale 30 min in and out with license in hand then i was at the gun store the next weekend buying my XD9

carhas0

imported post

sailarmy wrote:
got my CPL in Silverdale 30 min in and out with license in hand then i was at the gun store the next weekend buying my XD9

That sounds like my exact experience. Had my permit in hand and laminated from the Silverdale office in about 15-20 minutes. Went out a few days later and picked up a XD-40 Subcompact.