• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

fullsize 1911 holster

F3RR3T

imported post

i plan to start open carry in new hanover county in wilmington NC. and need a holster for a full size ria 1911. i want some sort od retention system and something that will blend with mydaily attire. (wranglers white t-shirt tucked in boots cowboy hat.

i have a few questions.

1. how much does the retention system slow down your draw?

2. open carry with a jacket?

3. how about in snow/rain will the gun be ok if properly taken care of before and after being exposed?

4. OFF TOPIC do the roads ice in NC?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I hate to sound like a grammar Nazi; but the use of capital letters was an advance in writing.

F3RR3T

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I hate to sound like a grammar Nazi; but the use of capital letters was an advance in writing.
i apologize that i dont use perfect puncutation and grammar. but i type this as i am driving (at stoplights). I will refrain from posting further till i get off my 19 hour shift (i work 2 jobs) and will post from home during which time i usually sleep.

Texaschl

imported post

When I OC I use a Blackhawk Serpa and its a great holster as it covers the trigger and has good retention. I carried a 1911 and glock 21 both in serpa's and have not had any problems.

I will be OCing in march when I come to Va.

I hope this helps

Texaschl

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

F3RR3T wrote:
i apologize that i dont use perfect puncutation and grammar. but i type this as i am driving (at stoplights). I will refrain from posting further till i get off my 19 hour shift (i work 2 jobs) and will post from home during which time i usually sleep.

OK. That one I can understand. It would have been even more effective without the sarcasm; but I can see how being tired could lead to that.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

F3RR3T wrote:
i have a few questions.

1. how much does the retention system slow down your draw?

2. open carry with a jacket?

3. how about in snow/rain will the gun be ok if properly taken care of before and after being exposed?

4. OFF TOPIC do the roads ice in NC?

1. A lot compared to no retention. Without retention, your hand describes a circle and you pick up the grip as your hand is sweeping upward. With retention, your hand has to stop for just a moment, and then re-start. And the motion is different. (See No Second Place Winner, by Bill(?) Jordan.)

However, for OC, doing without retention in public is just too risky. Its just far too easy for someone else to lift the gun.

2. If the has to be swept out of the way, it adds a little time. A tiny amount.

3. Depends on the metal, coatings,andexposure. Steel and water = rust at some point.

4. Yep. Although it is in the South, the food tastes better, and the girls are prettier, the laws of physics still apply. Their winters are milder than, say, Michigan, but they still get below freezing.

F3RR3T

imported post

Citizen wrote:
F3RR3T wrote:

OK. That one I can understand. It would have been even more effective without the sarcasm; but I can see how being tired could lead to that.

I agree that came of a bit sarcastic. Im actually on break at the moment. Ya im currently living in central FL and am getting ready to move to Wilmington, NC. I juat turned 18 the 3rd of January so i picked up a second job to put together funds.

I work a 12 hour shift babysitting kids then i work a 7 hour shift driving a cab.:(