• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying at the Capitol?

ATCer

imported post

I was watching one of Dave Ridley's videos on youtube and it got me thinking... Is there anything that prohibits someone from open or concealed carrying into the state capitol?

I thought I remembered seeing something on the news several year back about how "alarming" it was that someone could bring a gun inside the capitol building.

Here's a link to the video that sparked my interest. Its a 3 parter, might have to pick a different one to see it from the beginning.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dzcAdxLYBmo

just_a_car

imported post

I have carried concealed legally to the capitol in Olympia twice.

XD45PlusP has the document that says it's legal and will likely be able to cite it here for you.

Bear 45/70

imported post

All I see is a stupid person that doesn't think a bad guy with murder on his mind shouldn't die on the lobby floor, but would rather have him make it up stairs and kill more people unopposed there. She's too stupid to think past, they shouldn't shoot the poor, misguided bad guy. She also seems to be unaware of the Constitution and what it says and doesn't care either. And it appears she has been an educator in many states. Probably the reason education in this country doesn't educate anymore.

Crackajack

imported post

I used to be a Capitol Security Officer. There are currently no restrictions to carry there as far as I know. They used to allow people to carry in with their CPLs when there were screening devices, but now there are no screening devices and you may come and go armed as you please afaik.

ATCer

imported post

I like the part where she talks about what would happen if there was an active shooter... "Am I just supposed to lay on the ground while they shoot it out like the OK corral?" I was just curious as to what the difference between an armed citizen and a cop engaging the active shooter was because she is obviously able to see it and we are not. You know, because of the whole "being stupid because I want to protect my family and self" thing.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

As far as I have been able to determine there is nothing to stop person from legally carrying at the capitol... I haven't OC'd on the campus though.

Cue-Ball

imported post

I love how politicians always use references to the OK Corral when talking about how guns will automatically lead to shootouts. The chief of police of D.C. said the same thing during discussions of their anti-gun laws (I'd love to cite it, but I don't have the document handy).

The funniest part about these "OK Corral" objections is that the whole shootout started because guns had been outlawed in city limits. Lo and behold, the troublemakers were still armed while the populace at large was left defenseless.

Apparently history does repeat itself, and apparently very few learn from it.

heresolong

imported post

Well this is good to know. When did they start allowing it? We were told (haven't been there in a few years) that we couldn't even have our guns on capitol grounds after we rode our motorcycles all the way across the state to see our reps. The guard told us that we should just leave them in our saddlebags (yeah, right, leather non-locking bags, I can see the liability lawsuit already when someone steals my gun) since we weren't supposed to have them and there were no lock boxes. A couple years later they had added lockboxes to one of the buildings so we checked them in there, but now it sounds like I can legally carry either concealed with my permit or open any time.

Yahoo!

XD45PlusP

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Well this is good to know. When did they start allowing it? We were told (haven't been there in a few years) that we couldn't even have our guns on capitol grounds after we rode our motorcycles all the way across the state to see our reps. The guard told us that we should just leave them in our saddlebags (yeah, right, leather non-locking bags, I can see the liability lawsuit already when someone steals my gun) since we weren't supposed to have them and there were no lock boxes. A couple years later they had added lockboxes to one of the buildings so we checked them in there, but now it sounds like I can legally carry either concealed with my permit or open any time.

Yahoo!

heresolong,

There is no RCW restricting it. Actually there is a WAC that allows firearms to be carried in accordancewith RCW 9.41

WAC 236-12-470
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=236-12-470
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/laws/wsr/2004/19/04-19-057.htm

There was a Bill in the 05-06 legislative session that was introduced by the same "Clowns" that tried to get SB 6304, and SB 6841 passed this year.

But this bill never got out of committee, nor had an executive session,

(SB 5344; 2005-06)

Here:

Regulating possession of firearms on the state capitol campus

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5344&year=2005

You can legally/lawfully carry your firearm, if you are legal/lawful....lol

Hope that helps.

XD45PlusP