• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving To Honolulu..Question about gun laws.. (Shotgun and .45)

juking

imported post

I am currently a resident of Florida, and I am also a former resident of Hawaii. It's been years since I've been to Honolulu. I am planning to move back to Honolulu this year. I was wondering what to expect in terms of Hawaii gun laws..regarding transporting them into the state..I have a 10+1 Para 3" barrel.45 semi auto (Warthog), and an 18" barrelRemington 6+1 Express Shotgun..I plan to keep them in my home..Do I need to register them? Also, I heard that you have to be certified in order to own a handgun.I am planning to keep them at home for protection, and that is it. I do not plan to use them for any other purpose. Also, are there any private or public ranges? thanks!

Could anyone tell me if permits are required, and a little about Hawaii laws concerning home protection, vehicle conveyance, etc..thanks again!

Jared

imported post

Unless you possessed the gun in Hawaii before 1949, you need to registerwithin 72 hours upon arrival.

You can not have pistol magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.

Contrary to popular belief, this does NOT apply to rifle/shotgun feeding devices. You can have a 30 round mag for an M-16 or AK-47.

Hawaii does not have an AWB; however, they do have what's called an "assault pistol" ban.

As far as a permit to carry, forgettaboutit.

You may want to buy a couple of more guns before moving there. It's a lot easier that way.

If I moved to Hawaii, I'd keep some guns out of state and bring a couple that I wouldn't mind registering, I guess it's just a privacy issue with me.

Hawaii's gun laws can be found in Chapter 134.

Hope this helps.

juking

imported post

Jared wrote:
..Hawaii's gun laws can be found in Chapter 134.

For some reason, the link belowdoesn't work in my browser..I wonder if I have to take a twenty hour pistol course after registering my pistol..

Hawaii Firearms Law - Is this where Chapter 134 can be found? thanks

MachOne.45ACP

Ewa Beach (Middle of the Pacific), Hawaii, USA
imported post

juking wrote:
I wonder if I have to take a twenty hour pistol course after registering my pistol..

Hawaii Firearms Law - Is this where Chapter 134 can be found? thanks
You do not need to take the course to register a pistol you already own when you come to Hawaii. The course requirement is only tied to the purchase of a new handgun (and is a one-time deal, as long as you can provide proof you took and passed the course - and they give a certificate).

wayneco

imported post

What if I am visiting Hawaii but for an extended stay? Can I bring pistols and rifles? I'm not taking up Hawaii residency, would I be required to register?

We're thinking of visiting Hawaii for a few months but will not be taking jobs in Hawaii or giving up our residency in Nevada... hell no! -- "just visiting" -- but we do want to protect ourselves while there.

JBinMontana

imported post

wayneco wrote:
What if I am visiting Hawaii but for an extended stay? Can I bring pistols and rifles? I'm not taking up Hawaii residency, would I be required to register?

We're thinking of visiting Hawaii for a few months but will not be taking jobs in Hawaii or giving up our residency in Nevada... hell no! -- "just visiting" -- but we do want to protect ourselves while there.

Check with http://www.hawaiisafaris.com/as they have people from the mainland all the time that come and hunt the islands.

tele.jpg

Most states I believe will not give you resident status unless you live there more than 6 mo out of the year.

Glock Fan

imported post

Any firearms coming into the state need to be registered within 72 hours. You will have to take them to the county police station to register them (Honolulu, Maui, Hawaii or Kauai).

Please PM me if you need specific contact information.

gf

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Depends on were you are we are talking Hawaii and I wouldn't expect your local PD to open to public on the weekends. That may be why the law states within 72 hrs. to account for this.

digitalgiga

imported post

Yeah i moved out to hawaii a while back, and brought all my guns over from colorado. I used this hawaii moving company http://www.zmoving.com/states/HAWAII.html to move over to hawaii, and just shipping my guns out was pretty easy. I think you should check with the state department, on the specific laws. Just to be safe. I didn't have a problems since i didnt have any automatics.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

digitalgiga wrote:
Yeah i moved out to hawaii a while back, and brought all my guns over from colorado. I used this hawaii moving company http://www.zmoving.com/states/HAWAII.html to move over to hawaii, and just shipping my guns out was pretty easy. I think you should check with the state department, on the specific laws. Just to be safe. I didn't have a problems since i didnt have any automatics.
We used to use the shipping companies to ship a lot of stuff a lot less hassle than the airlines. Just takes longer.

TatankaGap

imported post

wayneco wrote:

you got to register the gun and give fingerprints and photos w/in 3 days; there may be an exception if you are just coming to target shoot or hunt on a specific property and have an invitation letter for that event - I looked it up once but not sure of the specifics -

Once registered, the gun is itself registered permanently and you don't have to re-register it if coming and going with it from Hawaii -

Hawaii is going to have a big wake up after incorporation - IMHO, aloha :)

DocWest8404

imported post

Juking,

Simple piece of advise after having lived in Hawaii (Oahu)for 3 and a half years......MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE!

No Open carry

Concealed Carry with a permit only (Good luck getting one)

Firing at established ranges only

Transport DIRECTLY to and from range only. Don't stop for a dang thing anywhere in between.

Transport empty with ammo secured

Basically, if you are still thinking about moving to Hawaii, be prepared to give up almost every 2A right you have now. I will NEVER go back to Hawaii, unless I am on vacation, and even then, I will have a VERY sharp knife. If you move to Oahu, stay off the North Shore after dark...PERIOD. I say this for your safety, and your families safety.