• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/CC in NOLA/Jefferson

Ryan504

imported post

Hey all I'm new, been reading for a while though. I'm from Metairie but currently going to school up here at Ole Miss. I'm 20, so no concealed carry permit yet, but i have OC'ed a few times on short trips around Jefferson Parish. I carry in my car all the time though. I look forward to the day when i can OC in the quarter.

FYI, I asked a JP i know what would happen if he saw a guy OCing, he said that he'd arrest him for "disorderly conduct or inciting a riot or something".

If anybody else OCs in JP or the city let me know how it goes for you.

Take care guys

imported post

Back in 2006, I was arrested for openly carrying in Gonzales, La. The DA read the report, realized just how ridiculous/unlawful an arrest it was, refused to prosecute. Afterwards, I obtained an attorney based in the CBD of New Orleans to pursue a federal civil rights lawsuit. EVERY time I go down there to meet him, I'm openly carrying. To date, I have not had anyone question me nor has any cops shown up (yet).

Ryan504

imported post

I remember reading about that a while back. If your attorney is up for taking on firearms related cases can I get his name from you to have someone to call if I ever need a lawyer? If not, I understand.

Thanks

imported post

At this point, I'm taking a "wait-see" attitude about the entire matter.
Here are the facts: it's next to impossible to win in ANY Louisiana court against cops. If you do, somehow, manage to "win," the courts take a very poor view of persons who would actually litigate against "one of their own." Certain judges back this up with limiting monetary awards and attorney fees to such a point, it's not worth it, monetarily speaking. This is, IMHO, why you don't see the volume of attorneys advertising on TV, radio, billboards, yellow pages, etc., seeking police misconduct cases vs automobile accident related injuries.
There's so much wrong with this country's "criminal justice system," it'll take decades and several thousand Ron Pauls to straighten it out.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

I live in Marrero, which is JP, and I OC frequently. I've had a few people ask, and only one LEO ask while I was standing in line at Wendy's. he was young and said "You know you can't carry your gun like that?" and when I asked why not, he couldn't think of an answer. I politely explained to him that the only restrictions on carrying a firearm pertain to concealed carry, and that I was doing nothing wrong. He kept an eye on me, and sat behind me in the dining area. I suggest carrying a couple of documents showing that the constitution does not forbid it, and carry the AG's opinion on the matter as well. It might get you off the "hook" with some LEOs.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

did MS recently change their law to prohibit OC without a license? or prohibit OC altogether?

imported post

First things first: the law didn't change. According to the attorney general's "opinion," there is no such thing as open carry. ANY carry is concealed, hence a permit is therefore required. Despite the fact their state constitution clearly defines open carry, they don't admit to that. So, what you actually have is CONCEALED carry only.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

concerned_citizen

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Keep a copy of the state constitution, article 1 sec 11, along with a copy of title 14, sec. 95, illegal carrying of a weapon. That should take care of just about any intentionally ignorant cop.

THANK YOU! Great suggestion!
I printed them out here:
Article 1, Section 11 at http://senate.legis.state.la.us/documents/constitution/Article1.htm
RS 14:95 at http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78739

I'm a long-time gun owner and user. I have wanted to OC for a while now but don't want to be harrassed by police, security guards or just the run-of-the-mill Hillary supporters. Well, the harrassment I think I can handle, its the getting arrested possibility I'm more concerned with, because you can do everything right and still get arrested. These print-outs make me feel a step closer to OC-ing with complete confidence. Any other support information would be greatly appreciated. FYI I've got a Glock27 with Blackhawk serpa CQC holster.

I'm still unclear 'where' you can/can't OC in Louisiana. I mean, in everyday life, where would you (the forum) suggest OC, and where is it legal??? The grocery store? Gas stations? the mall? Target? Office Depot? Strawberry Festival (Open, free festival)? The Greek festival (confined festival)? What about when my wife goes for a walk around the block? I make her CC when she is alone.

Churches, parades, restaurants, and bars is illegal even with CC permit, right? How utterly ridiculous!?!?! Those predators among us are not stupid.

I want to carry everywhere I go. A month ago my wife and I were in Clearview mall parking lot (broad daylight) and we noticed a guy approaching us as we neared our vehicle, and trust me, he was moving quickly. We bolted for the car, got in, but we lost sight of him, and he disappeared. Freaked me out a little. What if my wife were alone? He maybe only wanted to ask for some change but I didn't want to wait and find out.

I know I'm going in a bunch of different directions with this post. I am sorry about that. I only want to feel confident and my wife to feel confident to OC. Thanks in advance.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wonder if it's time for a get-together by OC enthusiasts in the Metropolitan New Orleans area along the lines of the PAFOA group (but hopefully without the illegal arrests).