• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for those who can open carry

acrimsontide

imported post

For those of you who are fortunate enough to legally open carry:

While you were open carrying, has anyone ever mistaken you for a LEO and and asked for your assistance in the capacity of a police officer? If so, how did you handle their request?

sjhipple

imported post

I've never been asked for assistance, but I've been mistaken for a police officer a few times. I've always made sure to quickly correct the mistake, since I don't want to perpetuate the myth that only government-sanctioned people can exercise their rights.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

This is a great question. I never thought of this. Hmm.

I would first explain that I wasn't a police officer and then try to ascertain the problem as quickly as possible. If it was something I could really and (most importantly) LEGALLY help with, I would provide any assistance I could (someone is hurt and needs first-aid, someone needs help changing a tire or something, etc...). If the situation warranted a police officer, I would move to a safe place and call the police.

Of course, there are unlimited unknownvariables that could be introduced here. A man has aball bat and is attacking people at random. A gunman opens up in a public place.I'm no hero, but if Ithink I have a chance of saving innocent lives, I willtry.This doesn't make me a wannabe cop, this makes me a decent human being. I would rather die trying to defend some innocent person from a madman than running for my own life and leaving the helpless behind. I would want someone else to do the same for me, police officer or not. But, of course, that's just me.

WARCHILD

imported post

Yes, many times. Here in Mich. it's not common knowledge yet that oc is legal. I just tell them anyone can oc if they legally own the firearm. I like the shocked look on their face best. I even assisted a friend with a felony arrest on his own nephew(who stole his car and had 3 felony warrants out in Georgia, 2 in Flint) in Flint, Mi. when the leo's arrived (about 10 of them) not a single one even challenged me about my pistol. A Taurus PT99 9mm oc on my belt. The only problem was getting my handcuffs back! Leo tried to tell me it was illegal to carry them if you are not leo. His sgt. didn't see it that way and gave them back. Remember just be polite and make sure they understand you're not Leo.