• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rally in Chesapeake for the guy held in accidental police shooting.

worrbaron

imported post

We do not shots were fired by the homeowner whoDID NOTcall out to warn he was armed.

Does he have to do this in his state? Or did he just see a man breaking into his home?

LEO 229

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:

First of all, the evidence they claimed was present was a large quantity of pot plants in a detached garage (we'll ignore the fact that he actually was growing Japanese Maple Trees). With no ability to reach the garage without leaving his house, that removed any real reason for a no knock warrant.

Second of all, "YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIRE" is exactly what was yelled to me by the people that tried to invade my home four years ago.

As for calling out first, I have no duty to do so if I feel that my life is in imminent danger. In fact, identifying my location to an intruder would only put my life in greater threat.

Sorry you were a victim in the past... criminals do unscrupulous things and that cannot be helped.

But you have to take what is being said into consideration and maybe check on things for yourself.

Calling out may not be "required" but when the threat is still outside your house... you are NOT in imminent danger. Calling out would cost you nothing. You already have the drop on the guy about to make entry.

This is evident since he did all the shooting that night.

LEO 229

imported post

TheApostle wrote:
Drug users are not victimless criminals. Unfortunately severe punishments for those using drugs like heroin, cocaine, oxycoton, et cetera will not be stomached by today's weak society. Society is weak and self serving.

He did have marijuana and did have a gun. A violation of state law. He committed a homicide while in possession of an illegal drug with an illegal weapon. Those are the facts.

We shall see how this unfolds.

This is so true....

I have busted so many criminals that did the crime to get drug money. The victimless crime almost ALWAYS involved stealing YOUR property to feedTHEIR victimlesshabit.

worrbaron

imported post

Drug users are not victimless criminals. Unfortunately severe punishments for those using drugs like heroin, cocaine, oxycoton, et cetera will not be stomached by today's weak society. Society is weak and self serving.

We should definately punish people who poison their bodies with chemicals, but hey why stop at the war on some drugs and expand it? Mandatory branding for anyone found with more than a gram of that evil energy givingpowdery substance; coffee. Suspects found with the violently mood altering substance ethanol should beexecuted on site.

I mean seriously, are you even listening to yourself? What part of someone's life should be their own and what part should be policed?

LEO 229

imported post

worrbaron wrote:
I am saying that police and firemen are quite verbal about a fire when they approach a structure, something you did not include in your original statement. My point is that your hypothetical is completely different than what appears to have happend. You paint a picture of public safety officials trying to help someone who has a danger in their home. What actually happend in this shooting is completely unrelated and does not share any similarities except for the actors involved.
The point I made was that the guy at the door trying to get in may be more than a burglar....

We know the facts of this event... it was a search warrant and the homeowner shot through the door not asking who was there attempting to breakin.

Just pointing out that you MUST identify your target and determine the threat level first. Shooting at the unknown person outside your hosue on the other side of the door is simply irresponsible!! :cool:

worrbaron

imported post

I have busted so many criminals that did the crime to get drug money. The victimless crime almost ALWAYS involved stealing YOUR property to feedTHEIR victimlesshabit.

I agree that is the issue they should be punished for, when their actions infringe on another, but not when they are only punishing themselves.

TheApostle

imported post

LEO 229,

Then there are those here on this forum that would contend driving drunk is a constitutional right!!! Their belief is liberty is the right to do whatsoever one pleases even to the point to deprive others of their liberty and life.

LEO 229

imported post

worrbaron wrote:
We do not shots were fired by the homeowner whoDID NOTcall out to warn he was armed.

Does he have to do this in his state? Or did he just see a man breaking into his home?
Again... what is the harm in calling out to a guy outside the house?

He had the drop on them and knew where they were about to enter the funnel of death. He could easily pick them all off as they entered.

worrbaron

imported post

I am in no way defending idiots who drive drunk but theissue ofdiscussion was someone poisoning themselves inside their own home, not in the public domain.

LEO 229

imported post

worrbaron wrote:

I agree that is the issue they should be punished for, when their actions infringe on another, but not when they are only punishing themselves.
I could care less about the end user... Put that spike in your arm.. that is your business.

Cops do notdo search warrants on guys that might have drugs for personal use. This guy was reported to have several plants growing and this is no longer a personal use issue. (keeping in mind that the informant was reported to have been very reliable in the past)

Growing plants is normally a low level dealer in the making.

worrbaron

imported post

I do not think there is any harm in doing so, but if it is not easy for him to do so or wise, then why would he do it? Again we do not know all the facts and I am very interested in finding out the hows and the whys to this, but I am not going to immediately jump and say this man is a cop killer when from what I have read he was shocked to learn that he had shot a cop.

PackininVB

imported post

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/01/fellow-officer-recalls-shock-he-felt-when-his-friend-was-shot

Officers trying to serve a narcotics search warrant at the house executed a "well-thought-out operation," performing exactly as they were trained, said police Detective J. Duncan

If Officers performed exactly as planned then they would have had the door open in one or two shots at it and the guy wouldnt have been able to shoot "through" the door.

Police spokeswoman Christina Golden said those serving the warrant knocked and announced their presence while wearing helmets marked "Police." She said the officers were also wearing badges

If they did all of this i seriously doubt that this guy would have shot someone, especially over a joint? How often to cops get shot over little stuff like that? Not as much as they want you to think ill tell you that much. I thought this was a "No-Knock" warrant...

The two men signed up for the midnight-to-8 a.m. shift, and they had a friendly competition going, always trying to be the first to find drugs or a stolen car.

Sounds like they were a little gung ho to run into any house they thought might have drugs.

LEO 229

imported post

TheApostle wrote:
LEO 229,

Then there are those here on this forum that would contend driving drunk is a constitutional right!!! Their belief is liberty is the right to do whatsoever one pleases even to the point to deprive others of their liberty and life.
Ya... this is true....

They have a warped sense of what is right and wrong. That is the problem with the world today.

Some think it is OK to steal from their work because there is no "victim" since the business does not have feelings and cannot be hurt.

LEO 229

imported post

worrbaron wrote:
So where was the police officer when he was shot?
As I read the news reports... he had stuck his head into the hole that was made in the door.

It was then that he was shot at.

Maybe he was about to call out "POLICE!! Search Warrant!!!" But did not have a chance with all the gun fire.

worrbaron

imported post

hmmm, again more needs to be known, ok so my turn for a hypothetical: If the neighborhood kids think thatone of their neighbors isgrowing something intheir greenhouse and telltheir parents to call the police, what would most likely happen? Is itthe middle of the night "no knock" or is it the knock on the door questions?

LEO 229

imported post

worrbaron wrote:
I am in no way defending idiots who drive drunk but theissue ofdiscussion was someone poisoning themselves inside their own home, not in the public domain.
You know that those same people go out and drive to the market too, right? :D

tarzan1888

imported post

"Rally in Chesapeake for the guy held in accidental police shooting."

This was no accidental shooting. He knew exactly what he was doing he just didn't know who was on the other side of the door.

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
......As most of you know, only enough pot for a joint was found.........

Last time I checked having any pot was illegal. That is like saying he should not be guilty of murder as he only killed 1 officer not the dozen that were out there,

GLENGLOCKER wrote:

.........The guy was robbed 2 days before the incident and when the detective attempted to bust his door down around midnight........

While it is alleged that he was robbed 2 days before, the warrant was served at 8:30 in the evening and not at midnight.

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
.............It has been about a month now since this all happened and the Chesapeake Police will not speak to the public or answer questions about it........

It is improper for the police to discuss in public the particulars of an ongoing investigation.

Just the facts.

Tarzan

Taclead

imported post

LEO, while I agree we should not submit this person for sainthood, we also should not yet claim him guilty.

Also, since when does a homeowner have to call out and warn that he is armed. This is not a requirement anywhere that I am aware of.

Also, someone "knocking down" a door can be perceived as an imminent danger. Anyone willing to knock down the door to get in is a threat. Why on earth would I wait until the threat got fully into my hometo defend myself? Where is the line?

One foot inside the door? 2 feet? 2 yards? Is someone crawling throughan openwindow a threat or do I have to wait until they are fully inside the house and have an opportunity to adjust to the dark and get out their weapon before I defend myself? Maybe I should give them a blueprint of the house first and tell them when I will and will not be home. Your implications that I should wait until the threat is fully realised and prepared to face me is silly. This isn't supposed to be fair. The adversaries do not first weigh in then set a time for a confrontation on equivalent terms.

hsmith

imported post

TheApostle wrote:
Drug users are not always victimless criminals. Unfortunately severe punishments for those using drugs like heroin, cocaine, oxycoton, crystal meth et cetera will not be stomached by today's weak society. While marijuana isn't a superman drug or as severe as others, I don't want some pothead who is useless cooking my food, or ringing me up in a grocery store. It is the same as having someone drinking and driving. I don't want some drunk moron driving down the street.

He did have marijuana and did have a gun and he shot and killed someone. The jury must judge.
You are living in a dream world if you don't think that people cooking your food might be high lol.

Doing drugs is generally victimless. When you start robbing to pay for your habbit, then it is no longer a victimless crime. Driving high isn't victimless, but neither is drunk driving.

But stealing from someone to fund your drug habbit isn't something that should be punished under drug laws, it is robbery and should be punished for that.

The whole war on drugs has failed, it gets people killed.