• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reports: Several people shot at Northern Illinois University

LEO 229

imported post

This is not going to be good....

It is sad that when things are reported by the news.... people seem to copy the event.

Zed

imported post

First off, I offer my Condolences to the Familys & Friends of the dead.

[Rant]
When Are states like Illinois going to learn?

More Guns = Less Crime because the crooks/psychos think twice if their is any chance they may get their brains splattered all over the nearest wall.

If at least one person had been Carrying Concealed or Openly, this nut would have been taken out after the first 1-3 shots had been fired.

Do the math.

CCW/OCW + Psycho on rampage = Threat Stopped quick + Lives Saved.
[/Rant]

Schofield

imported post

Damnit. When are they going to learn that the police can do nothing in a situation like that? People need to be able to defend themselves regardless of being students, regardless of being teachers. Making schools the most defenseless places goes completely against logic. I'm just waiting for them to turn schools into fotresses and a parent gets shot by police trying to get their student out without their national identifcation papers.

ChronoSphere

imported post

You know, last friday, I changed my status on facebook mocking the gun-free zones idea, and specifically referred to colleges (I went to U of Fla). And now this happens. What is it about walking across that invisible line that removes your rights :(

My condolences to the familes of those injured and dead.

Sleepless

imported post

Zed wrote:
First off, I offer my Condolences to the Familys & Friends of the dead.

[Rant]
When Are states like Illinois going to learn?

More Guns = Less Crime because the crooks/psychos think twice if their is any chance they may get their brains splattered all over the nearest wall.

If at least one person had been Carrying Concealed or Openly, this nut would have been taken out after the first 1-3 shots had been fired.

Do the math.

CCW/OCW + Psycho on rampage = Threat Stopped quick + Lives Saved.
[/Rant]

I would also like to offer my condolences to the families and friends and the survivors of those that were affected by this.

Zed I don't agree that it would be good for anybody to open carry in a school because if the gunman or gunmen saw the person or personswho was open carrying and was planning on shooting inside the school then I believe that the person or persons who was open carrying would be the first victim or victimsof the gunman/gunmen because then they could go on a shooting spree without any opposition so if I was able to carry in a school I would rather conceal carry then open carry because the bestdefense in an attack is the element of surprise because if they don't know that you are carrying, then you can take down the person or persons easier because they won't be thinking that anybody there will be carrying.

Just my two cents anyway.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-02-14-shooting_N.htm

DEKALB, Ill. (AP) — A man dressed in black opened fire with a shotgun from a stage of a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University on Thursday, injuring as many as 18 people, four critically, before he killed himself, the school's president said. University President John Peters said witnesses "say someone dressed in black came out from behind a screen in front of the classroom and opened fire with a shotgun."
The university had issued a statement on its website about an hour after the 3 p.m. shooting that "the immediate danger has passed. The gunman is no longer a threat."

CAMPUS ALERT: Up to the minute information on the NIU shooting University Kishwaukee Community Hospital spokeswoman Theresa Komitas told WLS-TV in Chicago it received 17 victims all with wounds from the shooting or flying debris, including three with serious injuries. One was airlifted to another hospital.
George Gaynor, a senior geography student, who was in Cole Hall when the shooting happened, told the student newspaper the Northern Star that the shooter was "a skinny white guy with a stocking cap on."
He described the scene immediately following the incident as terrifying and chaotic.

ON THE WEB: Student saw 'flash of shooting' "Some girl got hit in the eye, a guy got hit in the leg," Gaynor said outside just minutes after the shooting occurred. "It was like five minutes before class ended too."
Witnesses said the young man carried a shotgun and a pistol. Student Edward Robinson told WLS that the gunman appeared to target students in one part of the lecture hall.
"It was almost like he knew who he wanted to shoot," Robinson said. "He knew who and where he wanted to be firing at."
Jillian Martinez, a freshman from Carpentersville, told the Chicago Tribune she was in the auditorium when the gunman entered through a door to the right of the lectern and opened fire about 3 p.m. "He just started shooting at all the kids," she said. "He just started shooting at people, and I ran out of there as fast as I could. I ran all the way to the student center; when I got there I could still hear shooting (from the classroom).
Agents with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were assisting local authorities at the scene, spokesman Thomas Ahern told the Chicago Tribune.
He said he did not know whether the shooter was a student or what his motive might have been.
"We will be urgently tracing the firearms and learning the history of the weapons," Ahern said.
All classes were canceled Thursday night and the 25,000-student campus was closed on Friday. Students were urged to call their parents "as soon as possible" and were offered counseling at any residence hall, according to the school website.
The school was closed for one day during final exam week in December after campus police found threats, including racial slurs and references to shootings earlier in the year at Virginia Tech, scrawled on a bathroom wall in a dormitory. Police determined after an investigation that there was no imminent threat and the campus was reopened.
The shooting was the fourth at a U.S. school within a week.
On Feb. 8, a woman shot two fellow students to death before committing suicide at Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge. In Memphis, a 17-year-old is accused of shooting and critically wounding a fellow student Monday during a high school gym class, and the 15-year-old victim of a shooting at an Oxnard, Calif., junior high school has been declared brain dead.

LEO 229

imported post

It will be interesting to discover who the shooter was and where the guns came from.

It seems to be a awful trend happening at schools now.

This was another ambush attack and the shooter ended up taking his own life. It appears he took out who he wanted and quit otherwise he could have taken enough ammo to keep going.

Unfortunately... the police can only react to this type of situation unless the entire place is on lock down and they search everyone.

Sleepless

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
It will be interesting to discover who the shooter was and where the guns came from.

This was another ambush attack and the shooter ended up taking his own life. It appears he took out who he wanted and quit otherwise he could have taken enough ammo to keep going.

Well according to CNN aftera while there was an alarm sounding so it is possible that when he heard that alarm he thought that he was going to be captured and killed himself but who is to know what went through his head.

Only question is how do we stop this from happening again??

LEO 229

imported post

Sleepless wrote:
Well according to CNN aftera while there was an alarm sounding so it is possible that when he heard that alarm he thought that he was going to be captured and killed himself but who is to know what went through his head.

Only question is how do we stop this from happening again??
What are the options?

Playing devil's advocate...

If you allow students to be armed... he too would have been armed. He could easily take the lives of several people before he is shot and killed by another student.

And then.... how many students would actually have a gun available or could even afford one.

So if you allow guns in the building.. you are allowing the risk to openly enter.

If prohibit guns in the building.... You have to make sure armed people do not enter.

This means you have to secure all access doors and search students and bags.

This costs more money for people and equipment to do the job. Even then it is not 100% anyway.

Damned if you do and Damned if you don't!! :?

bohdi

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Or are people catching on that it's easier to do and harder to get caught at schools? Why be a serial killer when you can be a instant mass murderer? Is there a trend here that people are missing among the truely psychotic? Sure a truck bomb has it's pluses and minuses as far as lethality goes, but not as shock value/making a name for yourself. I was just wondering about this myself. Seems like it's alot more, more recently. Is it because it's being reported more often or because other sick minds are jumping on the "fish in the barrel" band wagon?

My sympathies to the victims and their families, my words are not intended to make light ofyour experience. Just thinking outside the box out loud.

kmcdowel

imported post

...responding to the devil

LEO 229 wrote:
And then.... how many students would actually have a gun available or could even afford one.
I can guarantee that more would be armed than are now, and that is a huge improvement. Why not make carrying mandatory, as well as some sort of qualification exam/course?

So if you allow guns in the building... you are allowing the risk to openly enter.
What?

If prohibit gun's in the building.... You have to make sure armed people do not enter.
They are prohibited... and making sure armed people don't enter doesn't seem to be working too well.

Patting down every student before every class seems like a great option; I know this would be my first choice for school

Damned if you do and Damned if you don't!!:? I disagree

jack

Banned
imported post

Another senseless tragedy that didn't need to happen. I hope that this country gets some legislation on the books that prevents these incidents (or at least ends them quickly). A national right to self defense act that prohibits gun free zones would be a step in the right direction. If one armed citizen would have been in the building you wouldn't have so many victims. Only a bullet fired in self defense will stop a crazy individual that plans on killing himself after murdering others.

This is just sick& senseless. God be with the families during this grievous time.

LEO 229

imported post

bohdi wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Or are people catching on that it's easier to do and harder to get caught at schools? Why be a serial killer when you can be a instant mass murderer? Is there a trend here that people are missing among the truely psychotic? Sure a truck bomb has it's pluses and minuses as far as lethality goes, but not as shock value/making a name for yourself. I was just wondering about this myself. Seems like it's alot more, more recently. Is it because it's being reported more often or because other sick minds are jumping on the "fish in the barrel" band wagon?

My sympathies to the victims and their families, my words are not intended to make light ofyour experience. Just thinking outside the box out loud.
People see this as a way to die and become famous.

They have their problems and no longer deal in person of have a fist fight. They do as others have done in the past... shoot EVERYONE that has ever pissed them off and then kill themselves.

It is a sad day.. again...

LEO 229

imported post

kmcdowel wrote:
...responding to the devil

LEO 229 wrote:
I can guarantee that more would be armed than are now, and that is a huge improvement. Why not make carrying mandatory, as well as some sort of qualification exam/course?

So if you allow guns in the building... you are allowing the risk to openly enter.
What?

If prohibit gun's in the building.... You have to make sure armed people do not enter.
They are prohibited... and making sure armed people don't enter doesn't seem to be working too well.

Patting down every student before every class seems like a great option; I know this would be my first choice for school

Damned if you do and Damned if you don't!!:? I disagree

I do not agree with mandating a student carry a gun. Gun ownership should always be a personal choice.

I say allow anyone 18 or older to have a fair chance to shoot back. It is obvious that the schools are unable to protect the students or prevent guns from getting inside.

The alternative it to continue to prohibit guns and install metal detectors at the doors.

These shootings are a trend thatare not going to go away any time soon. :(

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

So the scary and authoritative loud beeping will surely stop the madman when he walks through the metal detector... after he's already shot the guard at the door in the head. What a wonderful idea.

JUST LET THOSE OF US WHO WANT TO CARRY A G*DDAMN GUN! What's the debate all about here?! We should do this, We should do that.

Just simply make it legal for people to be armed. EVERYWHERE. PERIOD.

Obviously, that's a big step. A step in the right direction would be to legalize carry on campus, for ALL STUDENTS.

LEO 229

imported post

Nice idea.... but for some reason the schools do not want adult students to be armed.

I personally do not have a problem with it.