• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fobus Evolution Roto Paddle Holster

Zed

imported post

Considering getting one of these Link but would like to hear from anyone who knows about them or owns one.

they decent, or junk?

fobusevorotopaddleea5.jpg

compmanio365

imported post

I have the non-roto model for my HP 45 and I find it to be very comfortable and works pretty well. Retention is an issue to some people, but I personally feel the retention is at least as good as my simple thumb-strap nylon holster I used to use, and the fact that you can't remove the gun without going through the proper motions makes it a non-factor to me. Only $20 after shipping from Ebay for my model, probably less for other gun models that aren't quite as "exotic".

swillden

imported post

You might want to consider this. Not the same holster, but probably similar. If you want a Kydex holster, look at the Blackhawk CQC line, they're carbon fiber reinforced. Much sturdier, and not much more expensive. There are a lot of fans of the Serpa retention option on that line as well. I like mine.

Zed

imported post

artedna wrote:
I think that for open carry paddle holsteres are junk! the forbus can be torn from your belt very easily-just my opinion.
You talking about Rubberized Paddles or Non-Rubberized?

The Bianchi 7500 Paddle I have now is a Rubberized one and is just as impossable to "tear" off as a regular Belt Holster.

pkbites

imported post

Does this model allow the tension to be adjusted?

I had the standard Fobus for my Glock. It was very difficult to draw from and there was no way to adjust the tension.

Which is why I switched to an Uncle Mikes Kydex.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

artedna wrote:
I think that for open carry paddle holsteres are junk! the forbus can be torn from your belt very easily-just my opinion.
I felt the same way untill a friend had the waistband partially torn from a pair of Levi's while instructing a self defense type class...
That incident changed my mind....I have the standard Fobus "Roto-holster" in paddle version....(the "Evo" isn't available for my pistol)...and am very happy with it.
I won't hesitate to buy from Fobus again.....
That said...if you order direct from the Fobus website, shipping is free...I found that to be the cheapest way to go by the time shipping was added from the "discount houses".

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

swillden wrote:
You might want to consider this. Not the same holster, but probably similar. If you want a Kydex holster, look at the Blackhawk CQC line, they're carbon fiber reinforced. Much sturdier, and not much more expensive. There are a lot of fans of the Serpa retention option on that line as well. I like mine.
That video applies to ALL "plastic" holsters....even the often hailed Blackhawk line....and it was staged as well...not many people (I hope) are going to stand there and let that scenario happen.
I read somewhere that the holster used was an older "first generation" version too...hadly a fair comparison IMHO.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Zed wrote:
artedna wrote:

The Bianchi 7500 Paddle I have now is a Rubberized one and is just as impossable to "tear" off as a regular Belt Holster.
The Fobus paddles are rubberized.....

Zed

imported post

swillden wrote:

Only one Blackhawk makes that I like is the CQC Level 1 Carbon Fiber Finish but they don't have a paddle version...
(Not realy sure of Serpa's, i'm not a big fan of retention straps either)

Zed

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
Zed wrote:
artedna wrote:

The Fobus paddles are rubberized.....
I Know, I was asking artedna which one he/she was referring to.

swillden

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
That video applies to ALL "plastic" holsters....even the often hailed Blackhawk line....and it was staged as well...not many people (I hope) are going to stand there and let that scenario happen.
I read somewhere that the holster used was an older "first generation" version too...hadly a fair comparison IMHO.
Blackhawk's have carbon fiber inside the Kydex. You might be able to apply some force and shatter the plastic on the outside, but the carbon fiber is immensely strong stuff and there's no way you're going to rip through it.

A gun grab like the video would severely damage one of the Blackhawk holsters, but the gun wouldn't come off.

I can't comment on whether newer Fobus holsters are better-constructed than the one in the video.

compmanio365

imported post

pkbites wrote:
Does this model allow the tension to be adjusted?

I had the standard Fobus for my Glock. It was very difficult to draw from and there was no way to adjust the tension.

Which is why I switched to an Uncle Mikes Kydex.
The little screw below where your thumb would go in a draw allows you to adjust the tension to wherever you want it. I've adjusted mine to where it's easy for me to draw, but impossible for someone else to get the gun out.....

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

swillden wrote:

A gun grab like the video would severely damage one of the Blackhawk holsters, but the gun wouldn't come off.
B.S.....sorry swillden, that dog won't hunt....
If we both use a similar technique as used in the video, do I get to keep your gun?....carbon fiber is not the "end all" to save your gun from a similar situation.
Carbon fiber derives a great deal of it's strength in how it's used...ie. in what medium is used to do the "layup", how it is oriented relative to other layers within the layup, what process is used to cure the layup etc.
To simplify, Kydex is Kydex...once the Kydex is broken, it will also begin to lose it's bond with the carbon fiber thereby degrading the advantage of having it in the first place.
I can assure you that, at the cost of a Blackhawk, they aren't using aerospace technology when making their holsters.....including carbon fiber in their holster construction is more advertising ploy than anything else.

swillden

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
swillden wrote:

Have you tried it or are you guessing? Cross-woven carbon fiber cloth, like the stuff used on the outside of the carbon fiber-finish holsters (and I'm assuming they'd use the same inside), is very resistent to ripping or tearing, even completely unsupported.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

swillden wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
swillden wrote:

Have you tried it or are you guessing? Cross-woven carbon fiber cloth, like the stuff used on the outside of the carbon fiber-finish holsters (and I'm assuming they'd use the same inside), is very resistent to ripping or tearing, even completely unsupported.
Answer your own question.....have you tried it?...and my question, do I get to keep your gun?
No I haven't tried to rip apart someones Blackhawk...but, my opinion is based on about 20 years of personal experience using carbon fiber for several different projects/hobbies.
You seem to be missing the fact that the CF is "laid" on the outside of the holster for "looks" more than anything else....the holster shell, belt "loop", paddle etc. are all still injection molded Kydex:banghead:

BTW, your "not much more expensive" comment is a bit off...the "Serpa" lists for $58.99 w/out shipping on their site...the Fobus is $23.99 shipped to your door....so a Serpa is over twice the cost of a Fobus eh?

jack

Banned
imported post

Fobus is bogus ! Seriously I purchased two holsters made byFobus and returned

both. They are cheaply made crap, that can be broken from the paddle easily

because it is held together with cheap little rivets (although the video is a bit misleading).

I switched to a Uncle Mikes Kydex paddle holster ($24) . It is a whole different design

that encompasses a different "attachment retaining" bracket that will not break off.

Screws are usedinstead of rivets. I'm very happy with the holster and don't really

worry about "retention" issues, as I wear it daily on my hip. I feel that being aware

of your surroundings is a more important than a retention device.Several friends of

mine have expensive retention holsters that are not without their problems.The

spring breaks at the wrong time and you are essential unarmed. In a crisis I want my

weapon in my hand quickly not after pushing a button or lever to release it. God

forbid that spring or snap mechanism malfunctions, your holster could get you killed.

The model of Fobusyou refer to his new and it may be an improved version, however

I would be careful as Fobus is known for junky holsters.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

jack wrote:
Fobus is bogus ! Seriously I purchased two holsters made byFobus and returned

both. They are cheaply made crap, that can be broken from the paddle easily

because it is held together with cheap little rivets (although the video is a bit misleading).

I switched to a Uncle Mikes Kydex paddle holster ($24) . It is a whole different design

that encompasses a different "attachment retaining" bracket that will not break off.

Screws are usedinstead of rivets. I'm very happy with the holster and don't really

worry about "retention" issues, as I wear it daily on my hip. I feel that being aware

of your surroundings is a more important than a retention device.Several friends of

mine have expensive retention holsters that are not without their problems.The

spring breaks at the wrong time and you are essential unarmed. In a crisis I want my

weapon in my hand quickly not after pushing a button or lever to release it. God

forbid that spring or snap mechanism malfunctions, your holster could get you killed.

The model of Fobusyou refer to his new and it may be an improved version, however

I would be careful as Fobus is known for junky holsters.
Could you please provide a cite or two?...not including the staged youtube video or personal opinions of "web warriors"....I've had one for a couple of years now and have a friend or two that swear by them.
I'd like to know what you base this "known for junky holsters" comment on.....

jack

Banned
imported post

Like I said I owned two for a short period of time and returned both. My local gun shop and many others have stopped carrying Fobus over quality issues. A simple search of any gun board will rank Fobus holsters right up their with Hi-point firearms, quality wise.It all comes down to different peoples opinions. If you like Fobus & Hi-point (for example)thats your prerogative. I find both to be junk and so do many other people. If you like them why the hell do you care what others think of them anyway ? You already bought it and are happy so great, good for you. I try to stick with quality products myself and can't stand poorly made anything.

Hold a Uncle Mike's next to a Fobus and really look at them, it's obvious which is the better product. The cost is within $2-3 dollars, so Fobus is no value either. Junk never is.

swillden

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
swillden wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
swillden wrote:

You seem to be missing the fact that the CF is "laid" on the outside of the holster for "looks" more than anything else
There's supposed to be CF inside the plastic as well, as I pointed out. Obviously the CF on the outside is purely for looks.

I only have one holster, but I'll see if I can pick up another cheaply to try it.