• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fobus Evolution Roto Paddle Holster

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

swillden wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
swillden wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
swillden wrote:

A gun grab like the video would severely damage one of the Blackhawk holsters, but the gun wouldn't come off.
B.S.....sorry swillden, that dog won't hunt....
Have you tried it or are you guessing? Cross-woven carbon fiber cloth, like the stuff used on the outside of the carbon fiber-finish holsters (and I'm assuming they'd use the same inside), is very resistent to ripping or tearing, even completely unsupported.
You seem to be missing the fact that the CF is "laid" on the outside of the holster for "looks" more than anything else
There's supposed to be CF inside the plastic as well, as I pointed out. Obviously the CF on the outside is purely for looks.

I only have one holster, but I'll see if I can pick up another cheaply to try it.
The Blackhawk website states that their holsters are injection molded...in order for them to have CF inside they would have to be press molded....woven CF cannot be injected

But....I degress....Superman AND The Incredible Hulk together couldn't take your weapon from the mighty Serpa :banghead:

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
The Blackhawk website states that their holsters are injection molded...in order for them to have CF inside they would have to be press molded....woven CF cannot be injected

But....I degress....Superman AND The Incredible Hulk together couldn't take your weapon from the mighty Serpa :banghead:

I will second this (asI may or may not have already done, in this thread or elsewhere). There is NO CARBON FIBER used in created the body, mounting platform, or retention devices for Blackhawk CQC SERPA Level II holsters. NONE.

Even the CF model is not constructed with carbon fiber. In fact, I am not even 100% positive that the INLAY THAT IS GLUED ONTO THE BODY OF THE HOLSTER is even real carbon fiber (again, it's probably just that cheap imitation crap that is painted to look like CF like what you would find at AutoZone on the 4 dollar shift knobs for little tuner cars)... Of course, I COULD be wrong about that, but I suspect I am not.

swillden

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
Superman AND The Incredible Hulk together couldn't take your weapon from the mighty Serpa
There's really no need for that. Please, I've been nothing but civil, you should return the favor. I've previously ignored your snarkiness, but this is over the top.

I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong. The point about injection molding is a good one. I'd be very interested to know if anyone has actually disassembled a CQC holster to verify it, or attempted to tear one off to see how sturdy it is. If it's no tougher than the Fobus in the video, then I need to get another holster.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

swillden wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
Superman AND The Incredible Hulk together couldn't take your weapon from the mighty Serpa
There's really no need for that. Please, I've been nothing but civil, you should return the favor. I've previously ignored your snarkiness, but this is over the top.

I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong. The point about injection molding is a good one. I'd be very interested to know if anyone has actually disassembled a CQC holster to verify it, or attempted to tear one off to see how sturdy it is. If it's no tougher than the Fobus in the video, then I need to get another holster.
Apologies for the "snarkiness"...whatever the hell that is...I'm a grumpy old fart and I suppose, at times, I can get a tad...to use your term...snarky.

I just can't help myself when someone starts posting crap...at times, not even well thought out crap...as gospel. This "Serpa is the holster god" attitude that some seem to have has just gotten to be a sore spot with me.
Some just seem to fall for the advertising gimmicks too easily...and without any research, or real thought on a given subject, spout off pure nonsense.

Again...the Fobus in the video was reported to be an older version and, IIRC, were assembled with copper rivets that could have been set too tight and possibly weakening the Kydex at the rivet point.
I feel pretty sure that if Fobus products were such crap as some claim, so many military and LEO's in Israel wouldn't be using them.....and they do have a lifetime warranty.
One other thing regarding Fobus v Serpa.....a small pebble etc. will never keep me from drawing my pistol as can happen with the Serpa.....you never know when you might have to roll around on the ground. That's a snazzy retention device alright but, IF something ever lodges under the release lever at the wrong time...it could cost you your life.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Blackhawk does have a CQC Level 1 holster which looks and feels exactly the same as the SERPA Level II and comes with both the belt and paddle attachments, the only difference being the SERPA retention system. The one my buddy recently acquired even has the tension screw in the same place as my SERPAs. Just throwing out the info for those who like everything about the CQC series except the SERPA retention.

If anyone ever does come across any info on the shearing force required to remove a Blackhawk CQC holster from either the belt or paddle attachement, I'm sure many of us would be quite interested in the information.

swillden

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
Apologies for the "snarkiness"...whatever the hell that is...I'm a grumpy old fart and I suppose, at times, I can get a tad...to use your term...snarky.
Apology gladly accepted, and sorry if my response was harsh. I'm grumpy enough myself to get a little pissed off from time to time.

"Snarky" is a relatively new word, but it's a good one. A snarky statement is one that pokes fun in a sarcastic way. I generally dislike it when people invent new words, but in this case it describes a common situation and there really wasn't an older word that did it as well.

Comp-tech wrote:
Some just seem to fall for the advertising gimmicks too easily...and without any research, or real thought on a given subject, spout off pure nonsense
I also find that really annoying -- even though in this case it appears I may have done exactly that. I don't know about calling Serpa the "holster god" -- in fact I like the Safariland holsters better, but they cost three times as much -- but I have been perhaps more impressed by the holster than is justifiable.

Thanks to you, I do plan to get another Blackhawk CQC -- probably the non-Serpa version since they're about $10 cheaper (you can find them on-line for <$40) -- and put it to the test to see just how sturdy it is. I'll tape it and throw it up on YouTube.

Comp-tech wrote:
One other thing regarding Fobus v Serpa.....a small pebble etc. will never keep me from drawing my pistol as can happen with the Serpa.....you never know when you might have to roll around on the ground. That's a snazzy retention device alright but, IF something ever lodges under the release lever at the wrong time...it could cost you your life
I hear you. Almost any retention mechanism more complex than a thumb snap is prone to some sort of jamming, though, so I think you just have to make a decision on what balance between accessibility and retention you're comfortable with.

I'm probably excessive in my concern about retention, but I'd really, really hate to see someone get hurt with my gun.