• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Election '08: Stance at a Glance

DeadCenter

imported post

The answers to Terrance Smith's question: "What is your stance on gun control?" were taken from the candidate's Web sites:

John McCain: Calling gun control a “proven failure in fighting crime,” he has voted against gun control and voted to protect gun manufacturers from lawsuits.

Mike Huckabee: A strong supporter of the Second Amendment, Huckabee opposes laws that would restrict gun ownership for law-abiding citizens.

Hillary Clinton: Law-abiding citizens should be able to own guns but laws are needed to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

Barack Obama: Tougher gun control measures at the federal level (he voted for them as a senator). In Illinois, he supported ban on assault weapons sales and handgun purchase limitations.

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080215/WRT0101/80215034

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Today an AP Article confused me into believing (for a moment) Obama might actually be a Pro-2A guy.

Then I got to this paragraph:

He said he would support federal legislation based on a California law that would facilitate immediate tracing of bullets used in a crime. He said even though the California law was passed over the strong objection of the National Rifle Association, he thinks it's the type of law that gun owners and crime victims can get behind.
Yikes!! Are people really this naive? Is traceable ammo really going to help us stop violence on school campuses? It'll make it more expensive to buy ammo, reducing the amount of time we can spend at the range. Reduced range time equals reduced accuracy equals increased friendly fire. And with increased friendly fire, Anti-2A lobby can say gun owners are irresponsible and bad shots. And who's going to fund the increase PD and Military will need to come up with to buy this more expensive ammo? You got it, higher taxes.

Obama later goes on to say he supports the DC gun ban. Because, like his home state of Illinois has learned, gun control reduces violence. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Barak supports a federal ban on concealed carry for anyone except active and retired LE. He is a leftist, fascist (in the original pre-nazi pre-bastardization meaning of the word) SOB. He is a compassionate Joseph Stalin under all the hope springs eternal rhetoric.

mike m

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Barak supports a federal ban on concealed carry for anyone except active and retired LE. He is a leftist, fascist (in the original pre-nazi pre-bastardization meaning of the word) SOB. He is a compassionate Joseph Stalin under all the hope springs eternal rhetoric.
And the public is going for it like Rosie at a Buffet. And it scares me to death!!

sjhipple

imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
John McCain: Calling gun control a “proven failure in fighting crime,” he has voted against gun control
Unless those guns happened to be at gun shows or happened to cost less than he thought they should.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

mike m wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
And the public is going for it like Rosie at a Buffet. And it scares me to death!!
I disagree. I think that the public at large is sick and tired of hearing about gun control. People are starting to read between the lies and see this for what it really is: control. Brought to you in whole by the federal government. I doubt a national ban on concealed carry could pass. Too many states have concealed carry laws and their senators would vote it down or be tossed from office. Not to mention it conflicts with states' rights and would never be upheld by a court.

DeadCenter

imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
mike m wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
I disagree. I think that the public at large is sick and tired of hearing about gun control. People are starting to read between the lies and see this for what it really is: control. Brought to you in whole by the federal government. I doubt a national ban on concealed carry could pass. Too many states have concealed carry laws and their senators would vote it down or be tossed from office. Not to mention it conflicts with states' rights and would never be upheld by a court.

I hope you are right.