• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is regular lube or dry lube better for a firearm?

mercutio545

imported post

I picked up some remington dry lube a little while ago, and I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of regular lube and dry lube. What kind of lube better for frequent firing, long term storage, etc? I know that dry lube is most likely better for cold climates, but it's starting to warm up out here, so that's not really an issue. Any comments would be great, thanks.

thnycav

imported post

Another thing you need to think about is the other conditions. For example in the desert a wet lube would attract sand. A dry lube would keep the weapon functioning without the problem of the sand.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I bought some Blue Wonder products that seem to work well and use Gun Butter as my primary lubricant. I have some Rem oil I bought a while back that I use for a light coat for storage and for light oil applications. Nothing is rusting or sticking so apparently it works for my purposes.

thnycav

imported post

hlh wrote:
There's an amazing amount of lube options and an amazing amount of opinions. All are good. I just use Break Free CLP, period. If it's good enough for the military, and harsh environments, it's good enough for me. That's my opinion. :D
Yes and they constantly clean their weapons in a desert environment. When I did get sent to the middle east I used a graphite on my M16. It is a dry oil and does not attract sand and the sand in the desert can be very fine and it gets into everything.

thnycav

imported post

With the black powder we use in reenacting it is hard to clean the weapons. This is what we use and all you have to do is soak it for 15 minutes and run under hot water then oil.

Hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and Murphy oil soap. They come in 16 oz containers so you mix the entire bottle together.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Springfield actually recommended soaking the XDs in Simple Green, wiping, air drying and then lubricating with choice of gun lube. I have never done so, but I'm not ruling it out some day in the future.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I was taught to keep my carry gun dry to prevent lint/dirt accumulation and lube before planned firings and lightly clean afterwards. And that the major source of wear in a modern gun is due to unnecessarily harsh cleaning.

I carried my CCW (HK) against my hide (Mexican X-draw) in hot humid weather and wiped it dry every day for about ten years. I don't recall if it has ever seen a brass brush because I prefer nylon pads.

I disdain specialty gun products. I got my nylon bore pads as a non-woven filter material sample - sixty yards of it. The remainder went into handmade paper making. I have about a quart of Ed's Red solution from the last time I got some. My heavy lube is generic HP lubricant.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've begun using MILITEC-1 (http://www.militec1.com/) and love it! It claims to lubricate with a "dry synthetic molecular bond", a "dry oil" like CLP, but supposed to be better.

The instructions are simply apply a light film to all metal surfaces, fire or heat the weapon to operating temp. Reapply and heat/fire to temp again. The dry lubrication effects increase throughout the third application. Wipe completely dry to avoid sand and dust contamination and you're good to go!

Their site claims the military in the sandbox loves the stuff and I have a couple friends that were over there and confirmed that they've used it and it's great.

Now on my MILSURP Garand and Carbine, nothing beats the good old MILSURP PlastiLube grease! http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/accessoryhtml/accgreasepots.html

It's great because it's heat and water resistant, but will certainlyretain dirt and sand.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

BobCav wrote:
I've begun using MILITEC-1 (http://www.militec1.com/) and love it! It claims to lubricate with a "dry synthetic molecular bond", a "dry oil" like CLP, but supposed to be better.

The instructions are simply apply a light film to all metal surfaces, fire or heat the weapon to operating temp. Reapply and heat/fire to temp again. The dry lubrication effects increase throughout the third application. Wipe completely dry to avoid sand and dust contamination and you're good to go!

Their site claims the military in the sandbox loves the stuff and I have a couple friends that were over there and confirmed that they've used it and it's great.

Now on my MILSURP Garand and Carbine, nothing beats the good old MILSURP PlastiLube grease! http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/accessoryhtml/accgreasepots.html

It's great because it's heat and water resistant, but will certainlyretain dirt and sand.

+100,000,000 on MILITEC-1

I send this stuff to my soon to be brother in law when he is over in the sandbox! I use it on all of my firearms and knives also. In fact I was introduced to it when I opened my new SIG P229 and found a bottle of it with the gun. It's great stuff and it makes cleaning a BREEZE!!!!!

I cannot say enough wonderful things about it!

happy carrying,

jason

edit: oh use a hair dryer to heat up metal to "operating" temps.