• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trip to Boston

Decoligny

imported post

If your destination is Boston and you are not just "traveling through", you are pretty much out of luck. If you were traveling through on your way to somewhere else, then the U.S. Code would apply and you would be legal keeping it unloaded in your trunk. However, if you are staying in Massachusetts, and then going back home, don't get caught bringing your gun with you UNLESSyou meet one of the following exceptions.

GENERAL LAWS OF MASSACHUSETTS

PART I. ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT

TITLE XX. PUBLIC SAFETY AND GOOD ORDER

CHAPTER 140. LICENSES

Section 131F. A Class A or Class B temporary license to carry firearms or feeding devices or ammunition therefor, within the commonwealth, may be issued by the colonel of state police, or persons authorized by him, to a nonresident or any person not falling within the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority or to an alien that resides outside the commonwealth for purposes of firearms competition and subject to such terms and conditions as said colonel may deem proper; provided, however, that no license shall be issued to a person who:

(i) has, in any state or federal jurisdiction, been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child for the commission of (a) a felony; (b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than two years; (c) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (d) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; or (e) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession or sale of controlled substances, as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C;

(ii) has been confined to any hospital or institution for mental illness, unless the applicant submits with his application an affidavit of a registered physician attesting that such physician is familiar with the applicant’s mental illness and that in such physician’s opinion the applicant is not disabled by such an illness in a manner that should prevent such applicant from possessing a firearm;

(iii) is or has been under treatment for or confinement for drug addiction or habitual drunkenness, unless such applicant is deemed to be cured of such condition by a licensed physician, and such applicant may make application for said license after the expiration of five years from the date of such confinement or treatment and upon presentment of an affidavit issued by such physician stating that such physician knows the applicant’s history of treatment and that in such physician’s opinion the applicant is deemed cured;

(iv) is currently subject to: (A) an order for suspension or surrender issued pursuant to section 3B or 3C of chapter 209A or a similar order issued by another jurisdiction; or (B) a permanent or temporary protection order issued pursuant to chapter 209A or a similar order issued by another jurisdiction; or

(v) is currently the subject of an outstanding arrest warrant in any state or federal jurisdiction.

Such license shall be valid for a period of one year but the colonel may renew such license, if in his discretion, such renewal is necessary.

The colonel may also issue such license, subject to such terms and conditions as he deems proper, to any resident of the commonwealth for the purposes of sports competition.

A temporary license issued under this section shall be marked “Temporary License to Carry Firearms”, shall clearly indicate whether it is Class A or Class B and shall not be used to purchase firearms in the commonwealth as provided under section 131E. Neither a large capacity firearm nor large capacity feeding device therefor may be carried unless such person has been issued a Class A license; provided, however, that the colonel may permit a Class A or Class B licensee to possess large capacity rifles or shotguns or both, and such entitlement shall be clearly indicated on such license. The fee for an application for the license shall be $100, which shall be payable to the licensing authority and shall not be prorated or refunded in case of revocation or denial. The licensing authority shall retain $25 of the fee; $50 of the fee shall be deposited into the general fund of the commonwealth; and $25 of the fee shall be deposited in the Firearms Fingerprint Identity Verification Trust Fund. A license issued under the provisions of this section to a non-resident who is in the employ of a bank, public utility corporation, or a firm engaged in the business of transferring monies, or business of similar nature, or a firm licensed as a private detective under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty-seven, and whose application is endorsed by his employer, or who is a member of the armed services and is stationed within the territorial boundaries of the commonwealth and has the written consent of his commanding officer, may be issued for any term not to exceed two years, and said licenses shall expire in accordance with the provisions of section one hundred and thirty-one.

A license, otherwise in accordance with provisions of this section, may be issued to a nonresident employee, whose application is endorsed by his employer, of a federally licensed Massachusetts manufacturer of machine guns to possess within the commonwealth a machine gun for the purpose of transporting or testing relative to the manufacture of machine guns, and the license shall be marked “temporary license to possess a machine gun” and may be issued for any term not to exceed two years and shall expire in accordance with the provisions of section one hundred and thirty-one.
Section 131G. Carrying of firearms by non-residents; conditions
Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

from what i have read, MA non-resident permits are relatively easy to come by, supposedly much easier than for some residents.

Decoligny

imported post

ilbob wrote:
from what i have read, MA non-resident permits are relatively easy to come by, supposedly much easier than for some residents.
While it is true that the "non-residentpermit" is easier to obtain, the "non-resident permit" is by no means anywhere near what a resident permit is.

The non-resident permit only allows the non-resident to bring a firearm into the Commonwealth of Massachusetts specifically for the purpose of firearms competitions. And these "competetitions" aren't the kind where you and a buddy get together to see who is the best shot down at the local range. The had better be sanctioned, advertised, scheduled competitions. Otherwise you will be in a world of legal hurt.

Section 131F. A Class A or Class B temporary license to carry firearms or feeding devices or ammunition therefor, within the commonwealth, may be issued by the colonel of state police, or persons authorized by him, to a nonresident or any person not falling within the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority or to an alien that resides outside the commonwealth for purposes of firearms competition and subject to such terms and conditions as said colonel may deem proper; provided, however, that no license shall be issued to a person who:

Jared

imported post

You all are reading the law wrong.

The law says "or to an alien that resides outside the commonwealth". Those words mean something.

While no laws that discriminate against non-citizens have continueously been declared unconstitutional as they do not meet the strict scrutiny requirment set forth in Grahm v Richardson (1972); the commonwealths gun laws have not been challenged in this nature.

As it stands now. Here is how the commonwealths licensing process works.

If you are a U.S. Citizen and you reside or have a business in the commonwealth, you apply to the police chief. If you are a resident alien who lives in the commonwealth, you apply to the Colonel of the State police.

If you are a U.S. Citizen and reside outside the commonwealth, you apply to the Colonel of the State police.

If you are an alien who resides outside the commonwealth, you can apply to the Colonel of the State police but only for competition and sporting purposes.

I have had a Mass license for years and I am certified by the colonel of the state police (a new requirement in Mass to be issued a license).

If you are a U.S. Citizen and you have a home-state permit, you will be issued a non-resident license to carry for all lawful purposes.

You need to call 617-660-4780 and request a new application. You need to fill it out, get fingerprints, roll your right index finger on ALL THREE COPIES OF THE PERMIT SEPERATELY. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

You need to take a class as written by law, they are

[align=center]
L.T.C. Basic Firearms Safety Courses

Certification #

Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association Basic Handgun Safety Course
LTC-001

NRA Basic Pistol Course
LTC-002

NRA Personal Protection Course
LTC-003

SIG Arms Academy Handgun Orientation Course
LTC-004

Smith & Wesson Academy Massachusetts Carry Permit Course
LTC-005

MCJTC Recruit Firearms Training Course
LTC-006

*NRA Home Safety Course
LTC-007

Worcester Police Department Firearms Responsibility and Safety Program
LTC-008

Mass Sheriffs’Association’s Firearms Safety & Handling Course
LTC-009

B.F.S.I. Handgun Safety Course
LTC-010

Massachusetts State Police Recruit Firearms Training Program
LTC-011

SIG Arms Concealed Carry Pistol Course
LTC-012

USPSA Safe Handgun Competitor - MA Edition Firearms Course
LTC-013

CQB Arms LTC Course
LTC-014

The Andover Police Department's Basic Firearms Safety Course
LTC-015

The MagPro Basic Firearms Safety Course
LTC-016

Massachusetts Certified Basic Pistol Course
LTC-017

CCW Point Blank Course
LTC-018[/align]

On top of this, you need to be certified by someone who is certified by the colonel of the state police. This is seperate from the training mentioned above. You must take this training either in the commonwealth of Mass, OR in your home-state by someone who is certified by the colonel and who also resides in your home-state.

The fee is $100 per year for the permit.

The process is a real pain in the butt, but if you go to mass I recommend it. It is very nice to be able to carry in Mass.

If you go from Kentucky to Mass this year, get the permit, if you don't go, don't renew, if you go the following year, renew.

In Mass, non-resident's don't have to renew right away, you can renew whenever your ready. When you renew, you don't have to resubmit fingerprints or training, other than that, everything else is the same.

If you have any questions or call the Mass FRB at the number I gave you above, they are very friendly and courteous people and will help you.

I am not new to the process of licensing or helping anyone getting a permit to carry in any New England state, if anyone has questions, please ask me. There is a lot of nonsense that has floated around the internet regarding New England in the CCW arena.

I forgot to add, even with the Class A license which is a "large capacity" license. Section 131m of state law makes it illegal to possess a high cap mag that was not made before 9-13-1994, even if you have a Class A license. I know it's stupid, but it's a felony if you get caught.

buketdude

imported post

I live in northern CT..and have a friend in springfield mass i visit weekly. I have tried multiple times to get a non resident class A. I have been told "self defense is a not a valid reason", i have been told strait up "no", I have been told to "not stare at people", then finally i was told i could have a class b, and that i could "carry while on my friends private property" but not in public or even in my car. I have permits from CT, NH, Maine, Florida....they are bad up there...i just carry a knife......PS-..you need a freaken permit in that state to carry pepper spray!!!!!

Jared

imported post

buketdude wrote:
I live in northern CT..and have a friend in springfield mass i visit weekly. I have tried multiple times to get a non resident class A. I have been told "self defense is a not a valid reason", i have been told strait up "no", I have been told to "not stare at people", then finally i was told i could have a class b, and that i could "carry while on my friends private property" but not in public or even in my car. I have permits from CT, NH, Maine, Florida....they are bad up there...i just carry a knife......PS-..you need a freaken permit in that state to carry pepper spray!!!!!

In Mass, for a non-resident permit. You do not put self-defense. You must have an unrestricted home-state permit, then you ask for an all lawful purpose license. For the letter of need, explain how you may travel late at night, you do not want to stop and unload and lock up at the state boundary, also you have therefore you need a large capacity license (only pre-ban mags are legal). Also explain the level of firearms training and how you understand the rules on deadly force and how a firearm is an absolute last resort.

I'm confused about how you were told not to stare at people, the MA FRB conducts non-resident applications over the phone only. Were you talking to the springfield PD?

If you follow the advice above, your going to be ok in Mass for a Class A ALP license. Have you ever applied before?

I have never (since 2000 when Mass liberalized their policy on non-resident licenses by directive from the Colonel of the State police) heard of anyone who applied who meet all the requirements being denied a class A ALP.

Again these requirements, not be legally disqualified for being able to receive the license. Having an unrestricted home-state permit, having fulfilled both training requirements.

If you have followed the above paragraph and you were told no, please let me know as I am curious to hear.

massltca

imported post

buketdude wrote:
If you apply for a non resident temporary LTC you should put All Lawful Purpose as the reason for issue. A class A non resident LTC isssued for All lawful purposes isvalid for concealed carry throughout the state including Boston.

massltca

imported post

boohickey11 wrote:
I have a Concealed Carry License in Kentucky and although it apparently isn't accepted in MA I was wondering if there's any other way to legally carry a firearm?
Apply for a non resident LTC. They are issued by the Firearms Record Bureau. You can contact them at (617) 660-4780, ask for an application for a non resident LTC. For concealed carry you need a class A LTC issued for All Lawful Purposes.

buketdude

imported post

Jared wrote:
buketdude wrote:

In Mass, for a non-resident permit. You do not put self-defense. You must have an unrestricted home-state permit, then you ask for an all lawful purpose license. For the letter of need, explain how you may travel late at night, you do not want to stop and unload and lock up at the state boundary, also you have therefore you need a large capacity license (only pre-ban mags are legal). Also explain the level of firearms training and how you understand the rules on deadly force and how a firearm is an absolute last resort.

I'm confused about how you were told not to stare at people, the MA FRB conducts non-resident applications over the phone only. Were you talking to the springfield PD?

If you follow the advice above, your going to be ok in Mass for a Class A ALP license. Have you ever applied before?

I have never (since 2000 when Mass liberalized their policy on non-resident licenses by directive from the Colonel of the State police) heard of anyone who applied who meet all the requirements being denied a class A ALP.

Again these requirements, not be legally disqualified for being able to receive the license. Having an unrestricted home-state permit, having fulfilled both training requirements.

If you have followed the above paragraph and you were told no, please let me know as I am curious to hear.
I talked to a friend of mine who lives in Hadley, then I made a call over to the firearms bureau who sent me an application. If i remember correctly, it says some thing like "state in detail why you need it" if you put all lawful purposes. I then made a call to the bureau who asked me a lot of questions, then told me if i was denied i would lose my 100$. Years ago i tried to get one when i worked for a Armored Truck Company in Mass....i had no luck...

Vermont0311

imported post

I'm a Vermont resident and possess NH, Maine, and PA non resident permits. Obviously I don't have a home permit in VT as they aren't required in order to carry up here (love it). What would I have to do in my situation to get an LTC-A? I assume I could carry with 10 rounders even if they aren't made before the ban? Thanks for your help, you've been really informative.

Jared

imported post

SemperGumby wrote:
I'm a Vermont resident and possess NH, Maine, and PA non resident permits. Obviously I don't have a home permit in VT as they aren't required in order to carry up here (love it). What would I have to do in my situation to get an LTC-A? I assume I could carry with 10 rounders even if they aren't made before the ban? Thanks for your help, you've been really informative.

You are correct, 10 rounders are legal; however, even with a Class A license, you can not carry a large cap mag made after 9-13-1994 per 140-131m of state law.

As a Vermont resident, you can subsitute the home state permit with a letter from a chief of a law enforcement agency attesting that you have no criminal history that would disqualify you from getting a license. People in Vermont do have Mass non-res licesnses. Call the FRB (phone number is in one of my previous posts) and get the application mailed to you. All instructions are in there.

massltca

imported post

buketdude wrote:
Jared wrote:
buketdude wrote:

I talked to a friend of mine who lives in Hadley, then I made a call over to the firearms bureau who sent me an application. If i remember correctly, it says some thing like "state in detail why you need it" if you put all lawful purposes. I then made a call to the bureau who asked me a lot of questions, then told me if i was denied i would lose my 100$. Years ago i tried to get one when i worked for a Armored Truck Company in Mass....i had no luck...
I'm surprised you were not able to get one, from what I have heard non resident LTC's are easier to get than the resident ones. I guess I'll find out when I move out of state and try to get my resident permit switched. :uhoh:

Jared

imported post

massltca wrote:
buketdude wrote:
Jared wrote:
buketdude wrote:

I'm surprised you were not able to get one, from what I have heard non resident LTC's are easier to get than the resident ones. I guess I'll find out when I move out of state and try to get my resident permit switched. :uhoh:

Your not going to have a problem if you have a home state permit from your new state of residence. Mass use to be very difficult to get a non-resident permit from; however, the state police changed that after the Wakefield office shooting back in 2000 (I could have been 2001, not sure) because it was discovered that one of the victims lived in NH, had a NH pistol/revolver license, and was denied a Mass non-resident Class A LTC.

BobbyGun71

imported post

As a Mass resident with a Class A LTC with no restrictions was easy for me, it is true you would be able to obtain a MA-Non resident class A LTC just as easy as I did, the cost is $100 for either resident and or Non-Resident license but My resident license is good for 6 years with a 90 grace period before renewal time and a non-resident license is good for only one year and it could take 3 months to get it and you will not get the full year out of that license because thats how Mass works, it sucks but that how they play their games. In order to get an Unrestricted Mass non-resident Class A LTC you would need a reason like work, example My friend got his non-resident MA LTC while he lived in NH, he put down as a reason he needed it for work purposes and he got his Class A LTC/ALP in 36 days. Never use the words Self protection use All Lawful Purposes, I saw a Non-Resident license issued as All Proper Purposes. make sure your firearms course sheet is under a year old. I hope this helps you out.

simondog

imported post

On top of this, you need to be certified by someone who is certified by the colonel of the state police. This is seperate from the training mentioned above.
No, it is not separate from the training listed above. The listed courses must be taught by a MA State Police certified instructor, and that is sufficient to meet the training requirement. The certificate the instructor issues lists the instructor number and course number.

"MA State Police Certified Instructor" is no big deal. In my case, it simply means that I sent the state a $50 check and a copy of my NRA instructor's certificate for a 10 year instructor certification.

Infidel

imported post

MassItca, Getting your resident LTC can also depend on where you live. I lived in Westfield (Exit 3, I-90) and the local police chief signed off no problems, I didn't even have to take a safety course; My DD 214 sufficed for the training. I have known guys who lived out in Waymouth, Boston, and Waltham who had to jump through hoops to get signed off in their hometown, and you could be restricted to only a class B at that.

mike45acp

imported post

Hello
Yes you can apply for a non resident license to carry in massachusetts. Contact the criminal history systems board in Chelsea Mass. Mike

airwolf09

imported post

I travel back to mass every year as I still have property and my parent still there. my NC license is not valid in MA. I would like to CC there but the problem I have is that it requires certify MA instructor for training certificate. I can not find anyone here in NC that certify for MA. what should I do?