• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FL transplant to Roanoke

10mmGlocker

imported post

Hello, all

I'm a long-time lurker to this forum whojust moved from the Tampa area of FL to Roanoke last week. I'm still a little uneasy OCing in restaurants, but I'm sure it'll get better as time goes on.

I've really been avoiding places that serve alcohol until I get an idea of the area, because I have so much to do right now that I don't need the inconvenience of being wrongfully detained, arrested, etc.like some folks havehad lately. That should change when I get myVA CCW permit, as opposed tothe FL permit I'm using now (yes, my FL permit is still valid).

It's a change coming from FL, where we have very good self-defense laws, to VA, where most of it is based on court cases and not codified. Maybe one day we'll have something in writing too.

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in. If anyone has information/opinions on the area, please feel free to post it.

BTW, I will be joining VCDL, and am a current NRA member.

Nice to be on this board, finally!

eyesopened

imported post

There is some current legislation going through VA that would allow us to conceal carry in restaurants. Sign up to the VCDL alerts and you'll get notifications and such. There is also a "castle doctrine" legislation that is currently going through the va senate I believe.

I've OC at numerous restaurants and no one seems to bat an eye. There are laws saying it's illegal to CC in restaurants that serve alcohol, but nothing in the books saying OC is illegal so OC is perfectly legal. If the proprietor gives you any lip about it and ask you to leave though, by all means leave otherwise you'll get charged with trespassing charge, but NOT a firearm charge.

Xeni

imported post

Welcome 10mm. Eyesopened is spot on with his remarks about restraunt carry. Generally no one pays you any mind when you OC (open carry) into a restraunt. I generally OC anytime I leave my house unless I know I'm going to a restricted zone (school, court, federal property, etc.). OC is the law of the land here so feel free to wear your sidearm with pride like every other Virginian does....even the implants. :lol:

Take a look at VCDL and at these forums so you can see what's presently going on in the state. I'm pretty happy where we're at and look forward to where we can get to if we all work together.

C

ccloud43

imported post

Hey 10mm,

Welcome to Va. I too am a central FL transplant, Im from Lakeland.The 1st time I OC'd was a Tidewater OC dining out. It helped to break the ice because I was around other people that were oc'ing. You could either set up one yourself or look for one in your area.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That should change when I get myVA CCW permit, as opposed tothe FL permit I'm using now (yes, my FL permit is still valid).
10mmglocker - I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your FL permit is NOT still valid.http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm You are now a resident of VA. VA recognizes the FL resident's permit in the case of FL residents temporarily inside the borders of VA. If you had a FL non-resident permit it would be recognized even for a VA resident.

Please go and get your VA CHP.

And be sure to register/title your automobiles too. After 30 days, you are liable for fines. http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/moving/newva.asp

Welcome to the Old Dominion, and to Open Carry. And +1 on the recommendation to join VCDL.

stay safe.

skidmark

DeerForce1

imported post

Florida does not differentiate between a resident & non resident when they issue a permit. It is a "Concealed Weapon or Firearm License" "State of Florida" No matter where you are from.

According to the VSP web site:

"Reciprocity and Recognition

Virginia extends reciprocity or recognition to citizens holding both resident and non-resident permits/licenses from the following jurisdictions as set forth below:

Listing of states with which Virginia has Reciprocity Agreements*:

/doc/%7B@57371%7D?]Alaska
Florida
Kentucky
North Carolina
Ohio

Pennsylvania
Tennessee

Texas
West Virginia

end quote

Va recognizes both resident & non-resident permits from the above 9 states.

So 10mmGlockers Fl permit is recognized by the state of Va. However i believe a change of address form needs to be completed & turned in within 30 days of relocating to a permanent address. I am not completely sure on the allowed time frame.

Hope this helps.........................................................................DF1

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jimwyant wrote:
DF1, you're right about the 30 days, but this can be done online. Also, FL will reissue the permit with your new address if you so desire for $15. See here for details.

Sorry I'm late in responding - been off enjoying life.

The OP was a resident of Florida, and obtained a permit from Florida as a resident of that state. FYI, Florida does differentiate between resident and non-resident permits.

The OP has now abandoned his Florida residency and assumed residency in Virginia. The OPis now a resident of Virginia. The OPstill possesses a Florida resident permit, with a Florida address. That permit is no longer valid as the OPis no longer a resident of Florida. The Virginia State Police will notrecognize as validthe Florida resident permit now thast the OPis a resident of Virginia. (Call them and ask this exact question: "Does Virginia recognize as valid a Florida resident permit if the holder has moved from Florida and is now a resident of Virginia?")

IF the OP, a resident of Virginia,had a Florida non-resident permit it would be recognized as valid by the Virginia State Police.

How does Florida differentiate between resident and non-resident permits? By the application that you submit to them, and the fees that you pay.

W Concealed Weapon (Florida)
N/A
$42
$75
$117
$65

W Concealed Weapon
(Out-of-State)
N/A
$42
$75
$117
$107

[align=center](Out-of-State Renewal Fee Includes $42 Fingerprint Fee) [/align]

When a cop in Virginia contacts Florida to verify the current status of a Florida permit, they are informed if the permit is a Florida resident permit or an out-of-state permit. [Confirmed by both Virginia State Police and Florida State Police.]

As for submitting a change of address, and paying the fee - it will not work for the OP. Florida will not recognize its resident permit once the OP has abandoned residency inFlorida, and will require the OP to apply for an out-of-state permit. Call them and ask if you are still doubting - I did.

Like most folks, I hate the nuances of the law, and hate nuances in regulations even more. But experience has taught me to check on them before being bitten, as opposed to afterwards.

stay safe.

skidmark

jimwyant

imported post

skidmark - That must be a recent change. I was a Florida resident from 1997-2000, and when I moved to VA in early 2001, I paid the $15 and they printed up a new one with my VA address and sent it to me.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jimwyant wrote:
skidmark - That must be a recent change. I was a Florida resident from 1997-2000, and when I moved to VA in early 2001, I paid the $15 and they printed up a new one with my VA address and sent it to me.

Yes, Florida will take your $15 and send you a new permit. Problem is, if it's checked through Floridait will come up as "NOT VALID" for the reasons already mentioned.

Seriously, how difficult is it for you guys to understand the difference between the two (2) types of permits Florida issues, and how they operate? How difficullt is it for you guys to understand the difference bewtween Virginia recognizoing a Florida non-resident permit as valid in VA and a Florida resident permit held by someone who is no longer a resident of Florida as being recognized as not valid in VA?

Sure, I wish life went along with the Easy Button concept, but it just does not.

If you want to take your chances, go ahead. Just in case your ass gets bitten, remember I said "I told you so."

skidmark

jimwyant

imported post

skid - I apologize. I didn't mean to suggest that you didn't know what you were talking about. I was just sharing my experience. I was under the impression that the office that issues the permits would actually know what they were doing.

Since you responded as vehemently on the subject as you did, I have to take what you are saying seriously. Please help me with this. I renewed my permit in 2003, from VA after informing FL of my new address and getting a replacement license with my VA address on it in 2001. Since I checked the "renewal" box on the application, and the license was issued with the same number as when I was living in FL, is my license not valid? I would hate to think that for the last four and a half years I've been walking around with a worthless piece of plastic in my pocket, violating the law in at least a dozen different states in the process.

How can I fix this? My permit is up for renewal again in October. Should I fill out the application as for a new permit? Please help.

10mmGlocker

imported post

My FL permit is still valid until 12/2009, as stated on the card. The only thing I have to do is notify the FL DOACS-Div. of Licensing of my new address within 30 days, and I'm not required to get a new card with the new address. This has already been done as of today.

Even though I'm in VA, my FL CCW is still 100% valid.

The Div. of Licensing is available at 850-488-5381 if anyone wants to call for their own info.

Seeing that we got 2 different answers, I don't know what to believe.

With that said, my VA permit app. will be turned in tomorrow when I get my tags, license, etc.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jimwyant wrote:
skid - I apologize. I didn't mean to suggest that you didn't know what you were talking about. I was just sharing my experience. I was under the impression that the office that issues the permits would actually know what they were doing.

Since you responded as vehemently on the subject as you did, I have to take what you are saying seriously. Please help me with this. I renewed my permit in 2003, from VA after informing FL of my new address and getting a replacement license with my VA address on it in 2001. Since I checked the "renewal" box on the application, and the license was issued with the same number as when I was living in FL, is my license not valid? I would hate to think that for the last four and a half years I've been walking around with a worthless piece of plastic in my pocket, violating the law in at least a dozen different states in the process.

How can I fix this? My permit is up for renewal again in October. Should I fill out the application as for a new permit? Please help.

As for what you may have done in the past -- who knows? Since ypu did not get into any trouble, why worry now?

How to fix it? Contact Florida about getting your renewal as an out-of-state permit. I have no idea if they will or will not renew a resident permit as an out-of-state permit. Ask and you will find out. If not, apply for a "new" out-of-state permit and become "conforming"ly legal.

stay safe.

skidmark

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

10mmGlocker wrote:
My FL permit is still valid until 12/2009, as stated on the card. The only thing I have to do is notify the FL DOACS-Div. of Licensing of my new address within 30 days, and I'm not required to get a new card with the new address. This has already been done as of today.

Even though I'm in VA, my FL CCW is still 100% valid.

The Div. of Licensing is available at 850-488-5381 if anyone wants to call for their own info.

Seeing that we got 2 different answers, I don't know what to believe.

With that said, my VA permit app. will be turned in tomorrow when I get my tags, license, etc.

Yes, Florida probably told you they consider your Florida resident permit as still being valid. The question is, will you be answering to Florida or Virginia if the issue comes to a head?

Please see info previously posted about validity of a resident permit when no longer a resident.

Your Virginia CHP will resolve all issues for CCW in Virginia. It's a;so about 1/3rd the cost of the Florida resident permit, even with the fingerprint fees for first-time applicants.

stay safe.

skidmark

DeerForce1

imported post

Skidmark, can you provide codes for any of this? The Florida division of licensing web site does not make any differentiation between a resident or non resident when refering to anything or the 3 following specific items:

residency

application process (other than the additional costof RENEWING)

change of address

Where are you getting your information from? Hey if i'm wrong i'll be happy to admit it but i cannot find anything to back up what you are saying.

Not arguing just asking...........................................................DF1

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DeerForce1 wrote:
Skidmark, can you provide codes for any of this? The Florida division of licensing web site does not make any differentiation between a resident or non resident when refering to anything or the 3 following specific items:

residency

application process (other than the additional costof RENEWING)

change of address

Where are you getting your information from? Hey if i'm wrong i'll be happy to admit it but i cannot find anything to back up what you are saying.

Not arguing just asking...........................................................DF1

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/fees.html

Look at the Type "W" license/permit. As posted earlier (admitedly without the URL citation) Florida DOES make a distinction between resident and out-of-state permits by actually making a distinction between the two types.When you apply for a permityou must state if you are applying for a resident or out-of-state permit. I propose to you that this is not merely circular thinking, but an actual distinction between two different types of permit.

As for the validity of a Florida resident permit held by a Virginia resident, you will have to accept my personal conversations with the Virginia State Police, who are the final word on what is or is not recognized. The VSP recognize as valid a Florida resident permit held by a Florida resident who is temorarily physically present in Virginia. They do not recognize as valid a Florida resident permit held by a Virginia resident. (How do they know what type of permit you hold? They call Florida, and Florida's database shows either "resident" or "out-of-state".)

The explanation given was that the Virginia resident is no longer a resident of Florida, so their Florida resident permit is no longer valid. VSP says the same for resident permits from all other states held by Virginia residents. My personal opinion on this is that it has more to do with driving funds towards the Virginia CHP process, which provides some $$ to VSP.

The real question is whether or not Florida changes the type of permit from resident to out-of-state if you submit a resident permit change of address request for an address in anystate other than Florida. I have not asked that question to Florida.

By way of helping folks understand -- often how you ask a question will determine what sort of answer you get. My background is in framing questions so as to obtain the most precise information possible, as opposed to seeking any specific answer over the possibility of other possible answers. As an example, try these two questions both about the subject of smoking and about the subject of praying:

Q1- Is it theologically permisable to smoke while praying?

Q2 - Is it theologically permissable to pray while smoking?

A1 - No. One should not engage in any activity that detracts from the focus on prayer.

A2 - Yes. Prayer is always permisable, and in certain circumstances or activitiesis highly encouraged.

Now, if I wanted to know about the permisability of prayer in relation to the activity of smoking, I would phrase the question thusly:

Q3 - Under what circumstances, if any, are the simultaneous actions of praying and smoking theologicallypermisable? (This question allows A2 above, while recognizing that A1 above may also exist for some circumstances. Q1 and Q2 are mutually exclusive of each other's answers.)

In the same way, folks have beendiscussing if Virginia recognizes as valid a Florida resident concealed weapon permit. tHey have omitted from that question any reference to the residency of the holder of that permit, which was the central issue of the OP's circumstance. Good discussion, but not on point, as they say in court.

I hope that this has answered your request for particulars. I agree that there do not appear to be any legislative citations in either Virginia or Florida that one can cite with some assurance. When that is the case one must rely on asking questions and the answers one gets to those questions. My professional experience (meaning experience obtained through a career of getting paid to ask questions in search of specific information) has been that they phrasing of the question is more important than the answer when trying to seek meaning from chaos. YMMV.

stay safe.

skidmark

*edited to add clarity to a point.