• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama supports the second amendment

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5isOFwdbq0tsqatW6vJpkDRTI1gMgD8UQVCAO0T The senator, a former constitutional law instructor, said some scholars argue the Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees gun ownerships only to militias, but he believes it grants individual gun rights.
"I think there is an individual right to bear arms, but it's subject to commonsense regulation" like background checks, he said during a news conference.

At his news conference, he voiced support for the District of Columbia's ban on handguns, which is scheduled to be heard by the Supreme Court next month.
"The notion that somehow local jurisdictions can't initiate gun safety laws to deal with gang bangers and random shootings on the street isn't born out by our Constitution," Obama said.

THIS IS UNBELIEVEABLE DOUBLESPEAK !

Let me see if I've got this right: First Obama says the Second Amendment "grants" ( should say "protects") an INDIVIDUAL right to bear arms, then he says the DC ban makes sense, because this "local jurisdiction" should have the authority to deal with it's unique crime problems. So I guess that means your Constitutional rights can be superceded by a local ordinance ! This bullshit comes from a so-called constitutional law instructor !

Absolutely pathetic........

(Sorry, the link no longer works. Just google "Obama supports individual gun rights")

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sure he does. Him and Hillary both. Didn't you hear them today? They both support your right to own (not carry, not use, etc.) firearms.

Then comes the BUT.....

After yesterday's shooting, they're both saying EXCEPT - criminals, terrorists, gang members (I wonder if OCDO is a gang), and those with mental health issues.

I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone who doesn't have mental health issues. Most of us aren't judgment-impaired because of it, and yesterday's shooter - to all reports so far - had NO indicators.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Obama is darn scary on guns. He says now that he would "not take folks guns away" because he doesn't think they could get it done :shock::shock::shock:

In other words, the minute he thinks he can get it done, he would be for that proposition.

Perhaps that is why he is pushing the UN Millenium agenda in his just passed Senate Anti Poverty bill - as most of you know the UN Millenium project includes a complete ban on "small arms" by non military/law enforcement.

nathan

imported post

• Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:
  • Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
  • Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
  • Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.
Source: 1998 IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test Jul 2, 1998
http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm

les_aker

imported post

nathan wrote:

• Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:
  • Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
  • Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
  • Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.
Source: 1998 IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test Jul 2, 1998
http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/issues.gun.html

Supports extending the assault weapons ban. Supports national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel. Supports limiting gun sales to one per month.

He's not much on CCW either.

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5isOFwdbq0tsqatW6vJpkDRTI1gMgD8UQVCAO0T The senator, a former constitutional law instructor, said some scholars argue the Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees gun ownerships only to militias, but he believes it grants individual gun rights.
"I think there is an individual right to bear arms, but it's subject to commonsense regulation" like background checks, he said during a news conference.

At his news conference, he voiced support for the District of Columbia's ban on handguns, which is scheduled to be heard by the Supreme Court next month.
"The notion that somehow local jurisdictions can't initiate gun safety laws to deal with gang bangers and random shootings on the street isn't born out by our Constitution," Obama said.

THIS IS UNBELIEVEABLE DOUBLESPEAK !

Let me see if I've got this right: First Obama says the Second Amendment "grants" ( should say "protects") an INDIVIDUAL right to bear arms, then he says the DC ban makes sense, because this "local jurisdiction" should have the authority to deal with it's unique crime problems. So I guess that means your Constitutional rights can be superceded by a local ordinance ! This bullshit comes from a so-called constitutional law instructor !

Absolutely pathetic........

(Sorry, the link no longer works. Just google "Obama supports individual gun rights")
It is nonsense, much like Kaine fooling people about his "pro-gun" stance. See this: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8UQTAS80&show_article=1

Barack Obama said Friday that the country must do "whatever it takes" to eradicate gun violence following a campus shooting in his home state, but he believes in an individual's right to bear arms.
Obama said he spoke to Northern Illinois University's president Friday morning by phone and offered whatever help his Senate office could provide in the investigation and improving campus security. The Democratic presidential candidate spoke about the Illinois shooting
to reporters while campaigning in neighboring Wisconsin.

The senator, a former constitutional law instructor, said some
scholars argue the Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees gun ownerships only to militias, but he believes it grants individual gun rights.

He said he would support federal legislation based on a California law that would facilitate immediate tracing of bullets used in a crime. He said even though the California law was passed over the strong objection of the National Rifle Association, he thinks it's the type of law that gun owners and crime victims can get behind.

Five people, including the shooter, were killed during Thursday's ambush inside a lecture hall. Authorities said the two guns used were purchased legally less then a week ago.

"Today we offer them our thoughts and prayers, but we also have to offer them our determination to do whatever it takes to eradicate this violence from our streets, from our schools, from our neighborhoods and our cities," Obama said. "That is our duty as Americans."

Although Obama supports gun control, while campaigning in gun- friendly Idaho earlier this month, he said he does not intend to take away people's guns. [R-i-g-h-t-----I really believe you. You will do, and say anything to get in office.]

At his news conference, he voiced support for the District of
Columbia's ban on handguns, which is scheduled to be heard by the Supreme Court next month.

"The notion that somehow local jurisdictions can't initiate gun
safety laws to deal with gang bangers and random shootings on the street isn't born out by our Constitution," Obama said.

Forty-five

imported post

Don't forget. The judges Obama would put on the federal bench (for life) would certainly gut the Second Amendment whenever possible.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
If Obama "supports" the 2nd Amendment, then I "support" Obama ;)
hahahhhahahhha me too. I'll also add something. All my fellow gun owners out here that are active in politics or at least care about what's going on give yourselves a pat on the back. As for the gun owners who look away when aproached about joining a gun rights group like the GOA or VCDL and the gun owners that didn't want to listen to some 20 something year old telling you about the best friend a gun owner and taxpayer could have in the White House, pat yourselves on the back to. Because without you, we wouldn't have this mess to complain about.

packingdressagerider

imported post

kmcdowel wrote:
"I think there is an individual right to bear arms, but it's subject to commonsense regulation"
..like gun free zones whenever possible? Sound like a great canditate.
Yeah, Obama's assertion about commonsense regulations should be a tip off. A non gun person would thing, "yeah, that sounds good." We know better. Obama can't get in the white house.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

He said he would support federal legislation based on a California law that would facilitate immediate tracing of bullets used in a crime. He said even though the California law was passed over the strong objection of the National Rifle Association, he thinks it's the type of law that gun owners and crime victims can get behind. Five people, including the shooter, were killed during Thursday's ambush inside a lecture hall. Authorities said the two guns used were purchased legally less then a week ago.

Oh, I get it. If we had bullet microprinting we would be able to determine who shot and killed those 5 people at NIU, whereas now that the shooter is dead, we are left with an unsolvable mystery. I get it. What a brilliant thinker this Obama is. I wish I could be as smart as he is.

packingdressagerider

imported post

deepdiver wrote:

Oh, I get it. If we had bullet microprinting we would be able to determine who shot and killed those 5 people at NIU, whereas now that the shooter is dead, we are left with an unsolvable mystery. I get it. What a brilliant thinker this Obama is. I wish I could be as smart as he is.
What a kidder you are, Obama never says any thing that means any thing. Much less done any thing in office. He is some kind of Pide Piper with how he has so many idgits like my nephew so taken with him.

Jared

imported post

Obama supported a nationwide ban on handguns and in his first year in the US Senate, he wrote a bill to federally ban concealed carry.

Sounds pretty pro-gun to me.

If he gets the nomination, he needs to be hammered in gun friendly areas with this message.

Supporting background checks can't explain his desire to ban handguns. He needs to provide an explanation for that.

Forty-five

imported post

A lot of the people enamored with him don't know anything about him, given his lack of experience (3 years US senator). Once they educate themselves, they will see him for what he is. Some of his positions as state senator in Illinois:

-Voted against making gang members eligible for the death penalty if they kill someone to help their gang (2001);

-Sponsored limit of one handgun purchase per month (2000);

-Sponsored measure to expunge some criminal records and create an employment grant program for ex-criminals (2002);

-Voted against letting people argue self-defense in court if charged with violating local weapons bans by using a gun in their home (2004);

-Voted against making permanent the repeal of the state's 5 percent sales tax on gasoline (2000);

-Voted to end $300 million worth of tax breaks for businesses. (2004)

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/17/politics/main2369157.shtml

imperialism2024

imported post

Forty-five wrote:
A lot of the people enamored with him don't know anything about him, given his lack of experience (3 years US senator). Once they educate themselves, they will see him for what he is. Some of his positions as state senator in Illinois:

-Voted against making gang members eligible for the death penalty if they kill someone to help their gang (2001);

-Sponsored limit of one handgun purchase per month (2000);

-Sponsored measure to expunge some criminal records and create an employment grant program for ex-criminals (2002);

-Voted against letting people argue self-defense in court if charged with violating local weapons bans by using a gun in their home (2004);

-Voted against making permanent the repeal of the state's 5 percent sales tax on gasoline (2000);

-Voted to end $300 million worth of tax breaks for businesses. (2004)
The bolded one seems to be the only good position there. Remember, when they let a non-violent offender out of prison, the reason he's going to rob you is because he can't get a job because of his record and lack of skills due to the time when he was in the state's custody.

Regardless, I agree that most of his supporters don't know for whom they're voting. Same with Hillary. Their supports tend to fall into two groups: those who identify with them (he's black, so he'll help me because I'm black; she's a woman, so she'll help me because I'm a woman); and those whose guilt asks them to vote for the candidates (it's time for a black president, since our ancestors enslaved them and so we owe them a black president; it's time for a woman in the White House, because women deserve that role because they were oppressed for so long). Granted, there are a few exceptions to the rule, those crazy enough to actually support these people.

tarzan1888

imported post

Obama says;

"I think there is an individual right to bear arms, but it's subject to commonsense regulation"

Translation..........This is the kind of arm his commonsense regulation wants you to own;

(In nonworking order of course)

Tarzan

Thundar

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
Obama says;

Translation..........This is the kind of arm his commonsense regulation wants you to own;

(In nonworking order of course)

Tarzan

No trigger lock

No possibility of ammo serialization

No possibility of microstamping

No, this firearm would be far too dangerous for Obamastan.