Thread: Just want to make sure I have this right...

Post imported post

Looking at the laws I've come up with this:
    PA does Indiana's LTCH for carry in a vehicle only.
    PA does not require a license to open carry (except in Philidelphia).

So am I right in thinking that when I go to visit my parents I can carry in the car (open or concealed) and when I get out I just have to make sure my firearm isn't concealed and I can carry openly but not concealed?

It was alot easier before my Florida CWP expired, lol.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

If you've got a Hoosier license, then you're good in the Keystone State.

Indiana has been granted statutory reciprocity without a formal written agreement under 6106(b)(15), based on the determination of the Attorney General that Indiana has granted reciprocity to Pennsylvania license holders, and that Indiana's laws governing firearms are similar.

Post imported post

You are certain? If so WOOOT! I wasn't breaking the law when I was CC'ing in PA... sweet. I couldn't find it anywhere online however...

Also I'd still like to make sure that OC is legal w/o a permit, my Dad let his license expire... born and raised in PA (but gone for 30 years in between) and he never knew OC was legal in PA.

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Prometheus wrote:
    You are certain?
    From the horses mouth:
    http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

born and raised in PA (but gone for 30 years in between) and he never knew OC was legal in PA.
    Intentionally surpressed by law enforecement and "I know better than you's"

Word is out and we're turning heads all accross the state now

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Prometheus wrote:
    Also I'd still like to make sure that OC is legal w/o a permit, my Dad let his license expire... born and raised in PA (but gone for 30 years in between) and he never knew OC was legal in PA.
    Since there's no law making Open Carry (OC) illegal, it's legal by default. More specifically, two Pennsylvania Supreme Court cases have stated so:
    Commonwealth v. Hawkins, 692 A.2d 1068, n.4 (“In all parts of Pennsylvania, persons who are licensed may carry concealed firearms. 18 Pa.C.S. § 6108. Except in Philadelphia, firearms may be carried openly without a license. See Ortiz v. Commonwealth, 545 Pa. 279, 283, 681 A.2d 152, 155 (1996) (only in Philadelphia must a person obtain a license for carrying a firearm whether it is unconcealed or concealed; in other parts of the Commonwealth, unconcealed firearms do not require a license)”).

Ortiz v. Commonwealth, 545 Pa. 279; 681 A.2d 152 (1996) (agreeing with appellant’s citation of the fact that "...in Philadelphia County, the legislature requires that a person must be licensed to carry weapons openly and not concealed from sight, whereas in all other counties of Pennsylvania, weapons may be carried openly without a license [, but holding that appellant’s argument that this fact then exempts Philadelphia from state preemption statute] is plainly without merit” [emphasis added]”).

Post imported post

Thanks alot! I appreciate it, I'm going to check in on the Ohio folks now, I might be legal there too...

Got any Q's about Indiana or FLA come ask them :celebrate

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

PS:
    Print one of these
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum61/3424.html
    For your dad.