Thread: If any of you are Greek (Fraternity & Sorority members)

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I could use some help here: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...=1#post1601741

Yes, I lost my cool there. I hope it's back now. My blood pressure is back down.

And at least one reader is beginning to understand.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    I could use some help here: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...=1#post1601741

Yes, I lost my cool there. I hope it's back now. My blood pressure is back down.

Even when their brothers and sisters are dying, they cling to their liberal, head in the sand views.

One potential convert is an excellant batting per roll of duct tape. :?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tess wrote:

You're doing fine.

Don't worry about losing your cool. There is no reason to remain calm when nanny-state administrators are enforcing policies that are getting promising young people killed.

Sometimes thats what it takes to punch through the emotional resistance they put upagainstfacing reality.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Sounds like someone is trying to look after them selfs and not to become a sorry do not know how to say it but a victim
    A gun Owner Is A Citizen
    Anyone Else is a Subject

Post imported post

This sounds exactly like the debate which is going on our alumni mailinglist (for my fraternity). I actually got banned (permanently) from that video game forum that I've been a member for 8+ years for talking about the NIU shooting:
    http://forums.gamehavoc.com/showthread.php?t=23198

So I know exactly how you feel.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

If you've got your cool back, one other issue that needs to be strongly disgreed with is the "only ones" mentality that all police officers are highly trained in the use of their firearms. Nothing could be further from the truth (though I don't have any specific information about the actual level of training required for the specific case here.)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    This sounds exactly like the debate which is going on our alumni mailinglist (for my fraternity). I actually got banned (permanently) from that video game forum that I've been a member for 8+ years for talking about the NIU shooting:
    http://forums.gamehavoc.com/showthread.php?t=23198

So I know exactly how you feel.
    More frequently than not, the light of truth hurts their sensibilities too much.
    Sorry that you got banned from a site that you obviously must have enjoyed. Taking a stand is normally not free and easy as some would suggest.

With friends like that, who needs enemies indeed!

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I've always wondered....

If laws banning guns would prevent school shootings, why don't they just ban shooting people? :quirky

Edit: If you need anymore, let me know.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    I've always wondered....

If laws banning guns would prevent school shootings, why don't they just ban shooting people? :quirky

Edit: If you need anymore, let me know.
    Well, I know that was rhetorical, but there are two main schools (no pun intended) of thought. The first and most obvious is that guns are evil and if there were no guns in the world, there would be no violence. The second, less popular, but perhaps slightly more credible, theory ackowledges that people are violent, but concludes that guns make them deadlier than if they were forced to use knives, blunt objects, and other weapons... I believe a quote from my "criminology" (as it's everything but that) textbook says something along the lines of "guns in the United States turn what would have been an aggravated assault into a homocide."