• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Come support SB 1214 on Monday

swift

imported post

Come support SB 1214 on Monday Feb 18th @ 1:30 PM in Senate Room 1. It's the bill to remove current ban on Concealed Carry on School Grounds. (Yes I know it isn't for Open Carry, but this is an important first step - not sure if our State is ready for Open Carry on school grounds yet - many sheep are still too scared of guns - won't even alow photo's of guns much less real live visible guns). AZCDL link to SB 1214 is here.

azcdlfred

imported post

swift wrote:
not sure if our State is ready for Open Carry on school grounds yet
Sadly that's currently illegal under Federal Law (18 USC § 922(q)(2)(B)(ii) - the Brady Act).

Thanks for helping with SB 1214!

Fred

protector84

imported post

Screw "federal law." There is a thing called "states' rights." From what I understand most local and state police do not even enforce federal laws and many are not even familiar with them. Federal laws are usually enforced by federal agents such as the FBI. There is a federal law prohibiting carryinga gun within 1,000 feet of a school. State law does not prohibit it and I have carried twice walking down the sidewalk right by a school where a cop was patrolling on foot. One time I asked the cop if it would ever be an issue. He said as long as the gun is visible and you don't go onto the actual school property with it, it shouldn't be an issue. I don't know if the cops are even allowed to enforce federal laws. They usually will call the feds (such as ICE for immigration laws, etc.) instead of enforcing them themselves. I highly doubt a cop is going to detain me and hold me until the FBI arrives because I was walking near a school with a gun. Federal laws don't always supercede state laws. Again, "states' rights."

protector84

imported post

A perfect example of "states' rights" is with the legalization of medical marijuana in many states. Federal law considers marijuana a Schedule I drug with no medical use and prohibits it in all 50 states. Yet numerous states allow it for medical usage in direct contradiction of federal law and some states have even decriminalized small amounts of it for recreational use.

LuvmyXD9

imported post

swift wrote:
Come support SB 1214 on Monday Feb 18th @ 1:30 PM in Senate Room 1. It's the bill to remove current ban on Concealed Carry on School Grounds. (Yes I know it isn't for Open Carry, but this is an important first step - not sure if our State is ready for Open Carry on school grounds yet - many sheep are still too scared of guns - won't even alow photo's of guns much less real live visible guns). AZCDL link to SB 1214 is here.

I hope you get to this tonight. What are the details? Am I just sitting in a room watching a discussion? I've never really physically participated in politics before.

I am a college student at a mesa community college, and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see this bill passed!

Question: If this bill is passed, will I be able to carry on campus regardless of the federal law? Or what happens then?

azcdlfred

imported post

LuvmyXD9 wrote:
swift wrote:

I hope you get to this tonight. What are the details? Am I just sitting in a room watching a discussion? I've never really physically participated in politics before.

I am a college student at a mesa community college, and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see this bill passed!

Question: If this bill is passed, will I be able to carry on campus regardless of the federal law? Or what happens then?
Unfortunately, I got your email this morning - I volunteer at the local county range and was not online yesterday (2/17).

If you attend as a spectator, yes you are sitting in a hearing room watching a committee of legislators harumph their way through business. I recommend business casual attire versus the student bohmeian look. AzCDL and others will be testifying.It's a worthwhile lesson in civics.

<< Question: If this bill is passed, will I be able to carry on campus regardless of the federal law? Or what happens then? >>
SB 1214 would bring Arizona in compliance with Federal law which allows adults with CCW permits to carry on school grounds.

By the way, you can watch any hearing from our PC by going here. You can watch live or review archived hearings.

If at all possible - Please Attend today!
Fred

LuvmyXD9

imported post

azcdlfred wrote:
LuvmyXD9 wrote:
swift wrote:

Unfortunately, I got your email this morning - I volunteer at the local county range and was not online yesterday (2/17).

If you attend as a spectator, yes you are sitting in a hearing room watching a committee of legislators harumph their way through business. I recommend business casual attire versus the student bohmeian look. AzCDL and others will be testifying.It's a worthwhile lesson in civics.

<< Question: If this bill is passed, will I be able to carry on campus regardless of the federal law? Or what happens then? >>
SB 1214 would bring Arizona in compliance with Federal law which allows adults with CCW permits to carry on school grounds.

By the way, you can watch any hearing from our PC by going here. You can watch live or review archived hearings.

If at all possible - Please Attend today!
Fred
Well I was not able to attend, however I did make sure to write my politicians in support of the bill, and I did watch the hearing.

I cannot remember the name of the person that spoke for Arizona CDL, but BRAVO to that person. Very well articulated, to the point, and assertive in his position. KUDOS to him.

I will be in contact with the AzCDL shortly about getting membership, however as a college student funds are hard to come by in the meaning. I need to get my CCW, and get my membership to the AzCDL. I look forward to working with you guys and gals in the future. :)

azcdlfred

imported post

LuvmyXD9 wrote:
Well I was not able to attend, however I did make sure to write my politicians in support of the bill, and I did watch the hearing.

I cannot remember the name of the person that spoke for Arizona CDL, but BRAVO to that person. Very well articulated, to the point, and assertive in his position. KUDOS to him.

I will be in contact with the AzCDL shortly about getting membership, however as a college student funds are hard to come by in the meaning. I need to get my CCW, and get my membership to the AzCDL. I look forward to working with you guys and gals in the future. :)
Dave Kopp, President of AzCDL, was speaking for AzCDL. AzCDL Directors Charles Heller and JD "Duke" Schechter (the Marine Sgt) spoke on behalf of themselves.

We (AzCDL) appreciate your support. As far as membership, I'm the Treasurer, the one-man memberhsip committee and AzCDL's chief cook and bottle washer (I'm the guy behind the curtain). Contact me offline at treasurer@AzCDL.org

Fred

swift

imported post

For anyone interested you can watch the archived video of the hearing here. The first 10 minutes are for another bill. The SB 1214 hearing begins at roughly the 10 min:24 sec mark. Initially you'll hear an overview of what the bill does as well as thoughts from AZ Senator Karen Johnson. The testimonials from those against the bill begin @ about the 0hr:14min:30sec mark. They were not asked to avoid repetition so you'll find that each testimonial basically covers the same points over & over. You can sum up their talking points with the following:

1) more guns = more bad, more accidents, more death
2) Police will be too confused if there is more than one person with a gun at the scene (a bad guy or gal & one or more good guys or gals)
3) citizens with guns will use their guns to kill in situations that without guns would have ended in nothing more than a heated argument, yelling, or perhaps a severe physical beating.

When asked, none of them were able to cite specific events where the above took place. They simply went on about imaginary "what if" scenarios with zero evidence to support their arguments based on nothing more than their own fear of guns.

The testimonies of those in favor of the bill began @ 1hr:05min:12sec. Due to time constraints & the fact that there were so many there to speak in favor of the bill, those in favor were asked to only bring up items that had not yet been discussed by other proponents. Even with that constraint, we managed to speak in favor of the bill for roughly 1 hr & 19 min's until the 2hr:24min:30sec mark which is when they list people who have submitted their stance against the bill online but did not sign up to speak. At 2:27:50 they begin the list of those in favor of the bill that did not speak. At 2:29:00 they move on to SB 1408.

PavePusher

imported post

Oddly, none of the police seemed to know or acknowledge that OC is viable and legal, and most suggested that visible weapons would bring on full force responses from police.

I'm shocked, shocked I say...