• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at 18

Paratrooper82

imported post

Hello for the first time, everyone. I am currently serving in southern Iraq right now and have been a pro-gun advocate since I can remember shooting my dads Marlin .22 at our cabin in Montana. I have recently been pressuring my older sister (22) to get a CCW permit in the state of Washington, where I am from, but I have been met with resistance. So I have been looking around for other methods to get her to carry at all, OC might be an option for her, but I digress.

My real questions are these; Me being active-duty Army aside, I am well versed in gun safety and self-defense. I am currently stationed at Fort Bragg, NC and would very much like to Open Carry when I am off work, upon returning to the states.
1. How would I go about purchasing a handgun, being 18?
2. Would you suggest it, at 18?
3. What classes can I take in/outside of the military that would offer me better training pertaining to daily Firearm carry?

As a few of you know, Fayettnam is not a very nice town, and I stay out late quite often, away from the Barracks. I have the abilitiy to leave the firearm at a friends house, or check it in to the armory.

Any and all advice is welcomed.

PFC John V.
82nd ABN DIV
Tallil, Iraq

glocknroll

imported post

You might want to consider posting on the NC page or finding out who the state admin for North Carolina is and PM'ing him. Good luck, and thanks for your service.

LEO 229

imported post

Paratrooper82 wrote:
Hello for the first time, everyone. I am currently serving in southern Iraq right now and have been a pro-gun advocate since I can remember shooting my dads Marlin .22 at our cabin in Montana. I have recently been pressuring my older sister (22) to get a CCW permit in the state of Washington, where I am from, but I have been met with resistance. So I have been looking around for other methods to get her to carry at all, OC might be an option for her, but I digress.

My real questions are these; Me being active-duty Army aside, I am well versed in gun safety and self-defense. I am currently stationed at Fort Bragg, NC and would very much like to Open Carry when I am off work, upon returning to the states.
1. How would I go about purchasing a handgun, being 18?
2. Would you suggest it, at 18?
3. What classes can I take in/outside of the military that would offer me better training pertaining to daily Firearm carry?

As a few of you know, Fayettnam is not a very nice town, and I stay out late quite often, away from the Barracks. I have the abilitiy to leave the firearm at a friends house, or check it in to the armory.

Any and all advice is welcomed.

PFC John V.
82nd ABN DIV
Tallil, Iraq

Greetings!!! I was stationed at Bragg back in the late 80's early 90's. Not a nice town then either.

The only way your going to be able to purchase a handgun is from a private sale. Be sure to check your state laws first and make sure there are no laws prohibiting you while being under 21. You are posting in the General DiscussionForum and in Virginia our laws say 18 and older is OK.

If you are new to guns... you may want to find someone who owns a few. I am sure someone in the NC forum would enjoy meeting you at the range to shoot a few rounds. I remember a outdoor range there we would visit that cost $5.00 to shoot all day.

Visit the NRA site and see what classes areoffered in your area.You can also check the local ranges to see what classes they have. You can always ask the range what they recommend you take to start out.

Remember that you cannot store a gun in the barracks or your car either. I had a storage unit off post where I kept all my guns.

Be safe, have fun...

LEO 229

imported post

Forty-five wrote:
Growing up, I spent some time in Fayetteville visiting relatives in the 70s.How badis it now?
When I was there people would fake car trouble and wait for soldiers to stop and help them.

When the soldier would look under the hood he would be beaten and robbed at gun point!!!!

Many were set up this way.