• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What can I carry in my truck with a permit?

Magnum Researcher

imported post

I wont know unless I ask! I have a 45cal. mac 10 and wanted to know if I can carry it in my truck every now and then? It iscalled a handgun but how are the police going to look at it, Iknow a police officer and I asked him he said that I can carry anything I wanted to carry with my permit, He's in TN but he does not live here, A guy at Guns and Ammo said the same thing he told me that he knows someone that carry's anAR 15 in there truck!I live in Bartlett TN.

Attachments

• full_metal_jacket_2.jpg
    full_metal_jacket_2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,731

Fallguy

imported post

First let me say, I don't know that much about long guns, but seems like I read somewhere that with a certain type receiver a AR-15 is considered a pistol. So if that is the case you could carry it with your permit.

With all due respect to any that may read this, there are several LEO's that aren't 100% familiar with the carry and gun laws. Although I admit this is getting better. So would be hard to say what would happen if you were stopped by one.

Just to clarify in TN you can carry any "handgun(s)" with your permit, but it does not cover long guns or other weapons as in some states.

nauss

imported post

As long as it is classified as a pistol you are fine.

Some say that a Mac-11 and Shorty 12 gauge are legal

because they are designed to be fired with one hand and

thus a pistol. I'd get it in writing from the attorney general's office

if I were to carry these items. Cops WILL arrest you if they feel like it.

I know more about law in general than 99%+ of all the cops out there.

That is a direct quote from my sister who is an Assistant District Attorney General

for five Tennessee counties. I usually take her word on these things.:lol:

FightingGlock19

imported post

nauss wrote:

thus a pistol.

actually, whether or not something is a pistol starts at the manufacturer when they stamp the serial number on it. If it's been regestered by the manufacturer as a pistol then it's a pistol, if it's regestered as a long gun, you guessed it.

example: I buy an AR (or AK, for that matter) pistol. By BATFE regs, it's a pistol. If I want to add a stock to it, because they're easy to install on those guns, it having been regestered as being a pistol and because of the pistol-length barrel, I would have to get it re-regestered (with the BATFE) as a short barrelled rifle.

Magnum Researcher

imported post

I just have this scenario of a LEO freaking out because of its looks, Every police officer has a different opinion! Dont want to risk losing my permitover something stupid. It does say 45cal. Pistol on the front of the manual, Im going to copy it and put it in the glove box, I just want to carry it every now and then because I like it so much. Thankyou!

Attachments

• small 3.jpg
    small 3.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 3,591

Fallguy

imported post

Magnum Researcher wrote:
I just have this scenario of a LEO freaking out because of its looks, Every police officer has a different opinion! Dont want to risk losing my permitover something stupid. It does say 45cal. Pistol on the front of the manual, Im going to copy it and put it in the glove box, I just want to carry it every now and then because I like it so much. Thankyou!

The officer himself can not take your permit. See TN AG opinion 05-154 Question 3.

[align=left]3. May a law enforcement officer legally seize a handgun carry permit from an[/align]
individual when that individual is arrested or charged with a crime?

[align=left]3. No. Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1352(c) states that a law enforcement officer may only[/align]
seize a handgun carry permit when directed to do so by the Department of Safety.

unreconstructed1

imported post

I would personally like to get a .45 LC pistol to carry in my truck, since they can also fire .410 guage. personally, i believe that it would be the best possible truck gun that you could have if faced with a potential carjacker.

Kingfish

unreconstructed1

imported post

kingfish wrote:
unreconstructed1 wrote:
I would personally like to get a .45 LC pistol to carry in my truck, since they can also fire .410 guage. personally, i believe that it would be the best possible truck gun that you could have if faced with a potential carjacker.

THE JUDGE!!

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=199&category=Revolver

http://www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-theJudge-video.cfm
Now thats my idea of a truck gun...:what:I'd love to see the look on whatever would be left of the carjackers face after he realized that he had picked the wrong truck this time...

kurtmax_0

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
nauss wrote:

thus a pistol.

actually, whether or not something is a pistol starts at the manufacturer when they stamp the serial number on it. If it's been regestered by the manufacturer as a pistol then it's a pistol, if it's regestered as a long gun, you guessed it.

example: I buy an AR (or AK, for that matter) pistol. By BATFE regs, it's a pistol. If I want to add a stock to it, because they're easy to install on those guns, it having been regestered as being a pistol and because of the pistol-length barrel, I would have to get it re-regestered (with the BATFE) as a short barrelled rifle.
Be careful. That's only the Federal law. Many states mimic federal law but many do not. For example, here in Alabama a pistol is defined very differently than the Federal definition.

You shouldn't have a problem carrying the MAC 10. It's pretty obviously a pistol the the cop would have to be a complete moron to think otherwise.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

What position to you holster it?
strait holster seems to have mag sticking way back or way forward.
second mag must realy be a pain with seatbelts.
Scuse me mam, yes it is a gun in my pocket. I'm just glad to protect you!:celebrate
Might get assulted from a totaly different direction.

Just remember, if you can't get it out to use, it doesn't do any good, and
might make you a target. Have same dillema with wildey survivor, but
I am working on a holster to give me <1.5 sec to trigger pull from draw.
Want a double tap time in this range before I'll feel comfortable as a carry piece.
Only 11 round with both mags, but second mag is full loads, if it goes in
parts will be going off the bg in big chunks.

kurtmax_0

imported post

I've always been skeptical of the .410 pistols. .410 just doesn't have that much power. I suggest you check out the box o' truth article on them: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

I'm pretty sure you can't carry anything but handguns with a permit in TN. I wouldn't worry what cops think, you can always sue their pants off later.

Also check what your state defines as a pistol. Here in Alabama, a pistol is defined differently than the federal definition. It is simply "Any firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches in length." (and not designed to be fired from the shoulder). This would make something like a serbu super shorty a 'pistol' and not an AOW or shotgun. (Obviously the federal law applies too but not to permits).

Hopefully with the new administration in TN you can get your firearm laws relaxed. We can pretty much carry firearms however we want, wherever we want down here. (With the exception of handguns in vehicles without a permit :()